Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
And how has that gone? Emissions levels are not exactly coming down are they?
Also, why was it not put forward in 1988 and not 2008? Are approach is like jumping out a plane and then only opening the parachute a few feet from the ground!

In 1988 people were more concerned with the loss of jobs in our coal mining industry....oh...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Of course you are, but then you have no insight into how they already live their lives/consume.

but as I said "there will be a bunch of older people who will make snide judgemental comments, probably be dismissive and patronise them."

Protests are typically about raising awareness and challenging the behaviour of those in authority, but you know that.

To be honest, the only person here who is being snide, judgemental, dismissive and patronising is you.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Come on, it’s pretty accurate despite the tone. Some of those Kids may have laudable intents but it’s absolutely not going to make any difference and as Mr Young says, picking up some of the shit their age group dumps in hedgerows, on pavements, in gardens etc every morning on way to school would be better. Action speaks louder than words afterall.
You actually just stuck up for Toby Young. Who would do that? Ever?! Politics aside, you do realise who this man is don't you?

D

Deleted member 22389

The issue is far too big to control. Too many people, politics and money is involved to make any change in my opinion. It's pointless protesting about it. The best I can do is fill up my recycling bin for collection every fortnight, don't make unnecessary journeys in your car, keep hold of my old computers so it doesn't end up in the massive pile of electronic waste, what else can you realistically do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
You can feel the cynicism and contempt of the older generations dripping from their keyboards, no irony of the responsibility they have on the legacy they will leave behind.

Yep. And a whole heap of...

we-should-improve-society-somewhat-yet-you-participate-in-society-19213023.png

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
You actually just stuck up for Toby Young. Who would do that? Ever?! Politics aside, you do realise who this man is don't you?

Going off at a slight tangent, did you read his tragic piece about having more time on his hands these days as people aren't employing him much? In it he wrote about how he'd realised that his kids were actually alright company.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Snarling righteousness or balanced opinion. You’re the one not knowing whether to laugh or cry, evidently unable to comprehend people might actually think differently to you - thank goodness.

A very good morning to you, BS.
Yes indeed, we all have different opinions, thankfully, and contrary to what you may believe about me, I do comprehend that people may think differently to me and I am glad we live in a society where free speech is largely tolerated. Long may it continue.
On this particular thread, I just don't go along with all the 'oh how wonderful it is of the youngsters to do something ,whilst portraying the older generations as evil lazy selfish planet destroyers'.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can feel the cynicism and contempt of the older generations dripping from their keyboards, no irony of the responsibility they have on the legacy they will leave behind.

Really quite bizarre the amount of unprovoked vitriol and hatred poured onto youngsters by older generations here. You’ve got to wonder if it’s to cover up a bit of guilt.

As per, Bowie put it best;

“And these children, that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They’re quite aware of what they’re going through...”

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really quite bizarre the amount of unprovoked vitriol and hatred poured onto youngsters by older generations here. You’ve got to wonder if it’s to cover up a bit of guilt.

As per, Bowie put it best;

“And these children, that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They’re quite aware of what they’re going through...”

I don’t think it’s age thing.

Climate Change deniers lurk, there are younger ones out there too, and the main reason for their opposition to the kids is the viewpoint.

But not being honest about that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Riiiight. So any strike is just a bunk off in your opinion. Nice standpoint.

I didn't say that now did I !

You really think it would have the publicity it has if it was on a weekend? Really?

Yes, yes I do. 15000 kids marching on a Saturday would have been very newsworthy. But of course we both know 15000 wouldn't turn up on a Saturday.

This is just pathetic really. The kids try and highlight an issue which, quite frankly, has been ignored by the people in power for ever and all they get is sneers from people. This really does highlight the vast chasm between the older generations and, well, reality.

That deep hatred of older people is never far from the surface is it ?

We have not even got to the point of being able to make changes yet! And then when some of them make a protest you all scoff at them and accuse them of bunking off.

And STILL no acknowledgement that the younger generation are part of the problem as well :facepalm:

Petrol cars should have been banned ages ago! We had the tech to do it but not one government bothered. They also did not invest enough in clean energy. The amount of clean energy we and other developed countries produce is nothing short of embarresing! There should have a MASSIVE push for this decades ago! Why not?

You do know how tech develops don't you ? It takes years of small steps - somebody doesn't just go 'oh, I fancy a water powered hover car' and hey presto it's invented. Even now electric cars aren't completely ready for the mass market - it's difficult to use for long journeys. Nobody has really worked out what to do with the batteries when they reach the end of their working life - feel free to suggest something ?

So your answer to anything bad for the environment is to ban it ? OK, please go and turn off your heating now and never turn it back on. Cold showers for you now on my lad. As for that mobile phone in your pocket - you can hand that over. It seems you accept no responsibility and only have issues with things you don't have.

As for renewable energy - those of us that pay the gas and electric bills ( ask mummy and daddy about it ) have been paying a very large subsidy on our bills for years to fund the development of renewable energy - an energy there wouldn't be enough of if your petrol car ban was in place !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
How many of those kids do you really think showed a genuine commitment to bettering the environment? Yes, of course it gets attention, and we know why, because it gets people talking as you suggest. We also know that action on a Saturday would get less attention, not because the issue is less important ( I am sure if thousands demonstrated, it would get media attention, as demos often do) but because the so-called eco warriors would not consider the issue important enough for them to give up their free time. The evaluation element was regarding your attempt to claim that leaving the classroom for a climate change demo is more worthwhile than a day in school, whereas it is not a question of either or at all. You can do both.

I’m sure there were many children who simply wanted to get out of school. I remember protesting the Iraq war and walking out of lessons side by side with peers I knew didn’t give a toss and just wanted the morning off. But ultimately it doesn’t matter. The more people involved the bigger the media attention. And I truly do believe that climate change is the single greatest threat to our planet, and I’ve said as much to the children I teach and made it abundantly clear that it is far more important than relative clauses, long division or what happened on this day is 1458. That isn’t to say that those aren’t important. At the end of the day, we're destroying their planet, and their future. They have every right to protest about it IMO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don’t think it’s age thing.

Climate Change deniers lurk, there are younger ones out there too, and the main reason for their opposition to the kids is the viewpoint.

But not being honest about that.

A lot of the insults about younger people in this thread have nothing to do with views on climate.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here