Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Well done Frank Lampard

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did Mourinho lambast his side in the press again? His fall from grace as a manager players will run through brick walls for seems to be complete and his slagging off off individual players shows a complete lack of class, and cannot be good for team moral either. He used to be a manager who instilled a commendable us vs them mentality in his teams, now he’s a grumpy disillusioned dinosaur and his team do not seem to be playing for him.

Long may it continue.

Well done Derby, what a great night for the club and fans.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It does also bring into sharp focus our league 'form'.
We have basically beaten a mid-table championship side, and dropped points in all our Premier League matches. :jester:

Haha, classic use of stats there statto, be as selective as you like, how many years is it since we lost at home to Man Utd? :jester:
We should do a thread of true but totally deceptive stats
OT reminds me of a quote I heard in IT 'the nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from'

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If they were playing away at Barnet or somewhere then totally agree. But this is a match at a huge ground and is a bit different. Expect most of the players would view the two scenarios differently.

I was just about to post something alone these lines. Let's see if he picks a full strength team if they draw Blackpool or Burton next...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The belief Derby will get from that result cannot be under-estimated. 8 great penalties, 7 of them the keeper didn't even touch, the kids leading the way.

It didn't do us much good 10 years ago beating Man City on penalties. Within 6 months we were in the relegation zone, manager sacked & needed the Great Escape.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It didn't do us much good 10 years ago beating Man City on penalties. Within 6 months we were in the relegation zone, manager sacked & needed the Great Escape.

I would suggest that this Derby team have considerably more talent and ability than we did back then. Also, they just knocked out Man Utd in front of the Stretford End. We'll see how things pan out.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would suggest that this Derby team have considerably more talent and ability than we did back then. Also, they just knocked out Man Utd in front of the Stretford End. We'll see how things pan out.

Exactly, what would we give for a Cup result like that?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I'd be tweeting it if that were the case, even if clicks onto NSC earns nowhere near as much as, oh I don't know, Football Whispers to pick a site at random...
Football rumours is, in my opinion, clickbait shite. Not sure why you're dragging me into that.

If Derby blow up due to fixture congestion and having a fringe squad lacking match sharpness then it'll be interesting to see if he's still getting praise. But then you might argue they always blow up anyway...

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
We moan about players pulling out of squads for an international friendly, where’s the pride? where’s the passion? they only play x amount of games a season, disgraceful over paid and pampered etc etc. We hate international breaks for ruining any good run of form and momentum that our team has, we want to win the F A Cup, EFL Cup, but not at the expense of our league position come the end of the season, so why do we pick youngsters and fringe squad players? waste of time, effort and money as we meekly depart that competion for yet another season.
Now, we deride a young manager for playing a full strength team and going for it, trying to progress in a competition that surely we would all love to win? and the best some can do is mock that decision as folly, as come the end of the season said club might miss out on promotion because they had a great cup run, or even won the thing, if your first team can’t carry that momentum of a good cup run into their league form, they will miss out on promotion because there were 3 better teams in the league!
Modern football, modern fans, modern expectations, who’d be a football manager these days eh?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"I am trying to build a group to be successful and nights like this are incredible."

Winning a shootout in front of United's Stretford End is always going to be remembered by fans and players in years to come.

Well done, Frank. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Absolutely. This could be a huge boost to mentality for that group of players.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

It was only a few days after the Walsall catastrophe. In truth, the season led us to meeting and enjoying Russell Slade - everything happens for a reason.

It also, finally, got Lloyd Owusu to our club.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

On the flip side I remember the cup wins against Ipswich and West Brom instilling belief in the team and the defeats at Derby and Forest leading to a storming rest of the season. Winning or playing really well against big clubs when you are in a lower league is a massive fillip to the club imo.

I miss those glorious cup runs when we were punching above our weight. I guess they were akin to going to City on Saturday and winning or at least getting an honourable draw.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well done Frank

The concept of momentum is huge in football. Goals and wins breed goals and wins.

I love Chris Hughton but disagree with his approach to cup football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well done Frank

The concept of momentum is huge in football. Goals and wins breed goals and wins.

I love Chris Hughton but disagree with his approach to cup football.

League Cup Football. How far did we get in the FA cup earlier this year?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
League Cup Football. How far did we get in the FA cup earlier this year?

Do you know I don’t actually remember but I’ll hazard a guess that we went out to the first decent team we played?

Edit just looked it up and I was right :smile:

I loved the Albion vs Palace reserve game in front of about 8k fans though I have to admit

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've always quite liked Fat Frank.

It's not his fault that there's a dodgy Uncle in the family :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched most of the game last night, and thought Derby were excellent despite conceding early. They had Utd on the back foot for most of the first half, playing some quick, enterprising football, getting numbers in the box and having a proper go. I actually had a couple of quid on them @16/1 (doubled with Wolves to win, so Fellaini's injury time goal didn't matter anyway), as once I saw the teamsheets I thought they'd give them a game. They did that, and some.

I genuinely hope Lampard does well there. He's one of the few former gilded England players who has had the balls to step out of a cushy Sky Sports studio and actually walk the walk, instead of just talking the talk. If he proves himself to be a capable manager then at least some time down the line we may have a decent, viable english option to look towards when the England job comes up again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here