Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If We Survive

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Now some of you realise how much money is needed just to survive in this league.
You’ve spent approximately £120 mill on players in two seasons, but how many of this season signings were in your team yesterday?
You need PL experienced players, and they’re not cheap .

Like Benteke?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If We Survive
Would you consider our recent appalling slump as a blessing in disguise?
1 Yes - if it makes us properly analyse what has changed in our approach over the last few months.
My concern would be that we started the season well, playing disciplined but somewhat negative football - then we tried to be more attacking, which didn't work - and resorting to putting 10 men behind the ball has saved us, meaning that would then be the way forward.

I'd like the way forward to be more attacking football. Of course that may take a little time, but I'd still like that to be the aim.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was an interesting point that once Newcastle bought Almeron, Perez has scored 10, and they’ve kicked in big time.

My thoughts are the same. Rondon and Perez have been very good in plenty of matches, since the pacey/creative Almiron was brought into ACM. Maddison was pulling the strings for LCFC yesterday, again.

ACM is where our main issues lie.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The bigger question is how many of our players have actually improved under this management. I'd argue absolutely none. That's damning.

Dunk
Bong
March
Duffy

Are better players, playing at a higher level, than before they met CH.

It's the PL signings that have not improved and we can only speculate on reasons for that.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Dunk
Bong
March
Duffy

It's the PL signings that have not improved and we can only speculate on reasons for that.
I would add Stephens to that list too.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We will not change the way we play under CH, that doesn't mean that we can't be good at it.

Invite pressure, when we get the ball quick touches and pace on the break. It has worked and can work in this division.

IF we stay up and IF we stick with Hughton we mainly need someone to challenge Gross. No idea whether the kid from South America can do it.

Secondly we need a less flashy, more Kayal like midfielder, one who offers us significant improvement but with the same workrate. I would offload Propper and keep Kayal as competition.

Third, competition for Dale Stephens. He is the ONLY player we have in the entire squad who can occupy that role so it's no wonder he can get complacent.

Finally, we need a new Murray. Someone who can keep the ball and/or draw fouls with anything that comes near him. He doens't need to be a clinical finisher, just someone who is a real pain to get the ball off and can link play.

Everything else we can get away with except right back perhaps, depending on Bruno.

Based on the above, we need players who are either already tested at this kind of level, or at least those for whom we are extremely confident can make the step. Serious investment needed.

My fear is, even if TB will back the kind of sums required, how will we tempt players to a side that scraped survival and plays negative football?

el punal

Dunk
Bong
March
Duffy

I would argue the case for Bernardo, Bissouma and Maty Ryan. Locardia, Andone and Jahanbakhsh have the potential to be much better players and in some respects I wish they had played more games to have fulfilled that potential. Still not sure about Davy Propper, Montoya and Balogun.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Having to play 38 away games in one season was never going to be easy.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We need a new midfield. We need to blow most of our transfer budget on that - the rest can and will more or less take care of itself if midfield is controlling the game and pulling all the right strings.

This big time. We need someone like Shelvey but without the niggle attitude and arrogance. Propper and Stephens are never going to be creative enough

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Dunk
Bong
March
Duffy

In what way do you think any of them have improved? Which aspects of their game? March is maybe better defensively (at the expense of his attacking output arguably), Bong is still what he's always been which is a capable defender who is severely limited on the ball, Duffy is the same, and Dunk, unfortunately, still have errors of concentration in him that have held him back throughout his career. Furthermore, 3 of those are defensive players playing in a system that highlights what they do well and limits their weaknesses; that isn't the same as improving them as players.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would argue the case for Bernardo, Bissouma and Maty Ryan. Locardia, Andone and Jahanbakhsh have the potential to be much better players and in some respects I wish they had played more games to have fulfilled that potential. Still not sure about Davy Propper, Montoya and Balogun.

You think they've all improved under the current management? Bissouma is still so incredibly raw, despite his game time. Bernardo is an excellent full back but I fail to see how he's improved; arguably he's just got more used to the system.

And Ryan, as much as I rate him, hasn't been as good this season as last. That isn't progress.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In what way do you think any of them have improved? Which aspects of their game? March is maybe better defensively (at the expense of his attacking output arguably), Bong is still what he's always been which is a capable defender who is severely limited on the ball, Duffy is the same, and Dunk, unfortunately, still have errors of concentration in him that have held him back throughout his career. Furthermore, 3 of those are defensive players playing in a system that highlights what they do well and limits their weaknesses; that isn't the same as improving them as players.

Remember that they all face far better opposition, than betore CH arrived.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
1 Yes - if it makes us properly analyse what has changed in our approach over the last few months.
2 Well, put simply : attitude (we stopped recognising collective nous and determination can make up to a degree for lack of individual quality)
Defensive solidity - we started conceding goals we wouldn't have let in earlier in the season
Midfield tenacity and creativity - when we've had possession we've tended to run out of ideas in the final third
Poor decision making - players wasting good positions by not passing when someone's in a better position, or passing when they should be shooting
Not clinical enough - haven't taken chances created, often early in games
Poor quality shooting - wish I had a quid for every shot ballooned over the bar. Don't they coach players to keep their heads down and over the ball these days ��
Mental resilience - I'd like to know how the club develop the players' mental strength. Hard not to let confidence drop with the results we've had but there must be ways to counter that.

Bottom line - we've largely overachieved in the Premier League, based on the quality we have and the money we've spent. I do believe we can get established as a Premier League side but there's no magic bullet, and spending loads isn't any guarantee (see Fulham). We may have to yo-yo a bit as others have done. Looking forward to the ride.

An interesting point about shooting
I watched the team during the kick in pre Cardiff
game and paid particular attention to the part where
the midfield players,wingers and strikers knock the ball
into the coach who knocks it left or right player takes a touch
then shoots.At the next home game go and have a look at the
absolute tosh that is supposed shooting
10% on target with maybe 2 finding the back of the net
I thought to myself why will it be any different when the refs whistle
goes to start the game
Funnily enough I looked at Cardiff who where doing the same
only about 80%of theirs where on target
I believe the game starts long before the first whistle and
I firmly believe this hasn’t helped us at all
I remember watching pre game away at stoke last seasons
and 5/6 of them where running a give and go
1-2 pattern with the ball being hammered home from
just inside the box or penalty spot.I thought to myself
that looks interesting they must have run it 20 times
The game starts and hey presto an fantastic
give and go passing move with JI finishing Cooky
Get the shots on target you will carry it into the game

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Now some of you realise how much money is needed just to survive in this league.
You’ve spent approximately £120 mill on players in two seasons, but how many of this season signings were in your team yesterday?
You need PL experienced players, and they’re not cheap .

Like Benteke?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We have massive problems. They kind of got polished over after the first season. I don't blame our new signings, if the team is set out to defend for 90 minutes we don't really get to see what they can do well. Our negative tactics, if indeed we do have tactics, have to change. We cannot do this for 90 minutes over 38 games, we have been found out. No shots on target yesterday, no goals in six. We need somebody at the helm that is willing to take a chance, not go out from minute one and stick a bank of 9 behind the ball. We are not experts but we can still plainly see what is going wrong. Why can the expert not see this? It's painful.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For sure. But how have they improved? I don't see an element of any of their games, aside from March's defensive work, that has improved.

Dunk - capped by England, justifiably so, other than his recent shitness, his game has come on loads since Hyppia.

Bong - still lapses, but a decent FB against quality opposition.

March - this season he’s improved a lot, after his nervous first PL season.

Duffy - from the quality CB for Blackburn in a poorer division, he’s established himself as a PL centre back against the best.

If you really think known of those players has improved one jot in the last 3 or 4 years, then CH should be sacked without delay.

Or are you exaggerating, because you can’t stand CH in the job?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here