Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Sorry, only just seen this....flipping 'eck ! Outstanding time - that'll get you a championship start at London if you want it I think (certainly at Brighton too - VIP toilets and EVERYTHING :))

Many thanks [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] ! Yep, I think my Manchester time means I'm eligible for a sub 2:45 men's Championship place at London next year, unless they change the time for next year and go lower... :cry:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, my twice-annual trip to the Chazzer for a cheap, warm, disposable top is going to need to come up with something genuinely fluffy and cosy for my three quid. Given the hideous state of the corals in 2016 after rain and hail, and given my heat related cramp in a race in February I have to say I'm still pretty bloody THRILLED at the forecast.

It's PERFECT for a marathon IMO anyway, I know some prefer it warmer)....as you say it'll be a bit grim at the start but nothing a few quids worth of throwaway fleece won't fix. Hopefully it'll stay dry for you all - PP was a proper mudbath in 2016. It's a bit chilly for longer distance stuff though so going to need to think about additional layers for Sat night, especially later on (poss even TIGHTS ! In APRIL FFS !!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's PERFECT for a marathon IMO anyway, I know some prefer it warmer)....as you say it'll be a bit grim at the start but nothing a few quids worth of throwaway fleece won't fix. Hopefully it'll stay dry for you all - PP was a proper mudbath in 2016. It's a bit chilly for longer distance stuff though so going to need to think about additional layers for Sat night, especially later on (poss even TIGHTS ! In APRIL FFS !!)

I've forgotten what your doing? What mad endurance event is it this time?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep I took the hit and bought some Vaporfly 4% Flynits a few weeks ago. Ridiculous price. They feel very fast though. There's a carbon fibre plate in the midsole which feels like you have a tiny little spring board inside, giving you great energy return and propelling you forward. Eliud Kipchoge and Mo run in them. I've only worn them for races (Big Half London and Manchester marathon) because they have zero durability. I've only put 50 miles in them so far and they're already starting to show signs of wear & tear. A lot of people have questioned it and say it's shoe tech doping but all the major shoe brands are now working on their own versions of a carbon fibre plate shoe. Hoka have recently released theirs.

The magic shoes they call them at Arena80. One of them in mid 40's won Hove Prom 5K for the first time with a PB 3-4 weeks ago with the Vaporfly having their first trial. They are made for half to marathon as you say.

On an aside Arena took a strong team up to Manchester. 2 broke sub 3 and one got 3:00:01. None of them got nearer than 6 minutes to our NSC Champion!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Good luck on Saturday night. I assume Bournemouth (H) is out of the question? I'm probably going to give it a miss, the thought of tackling the WSU stairs with a leg that's just recovered from bruising is not appealing. And, yes, it will be blooody cold for you, forgot it was Crawley, couple of degrees down on here (and possible FOG I guess, always seems to be round there when driving to Gatwick early)

And is now seeing same shrink as GB !!

:lolol:

Hoping to sack them on Monday :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck on Saturday night. I assume Bournemouth (H) is out of the question? I'm probably going to give it a miss, the thought of tackling the WSU stairs with a leg that's just recovered from bruising is not appealing. And, yes, it will be blooody cold for you, forgot it was Crawley, couple of degrees down on here (and possible FOG I guess, always seems to be round there when driving to Gatwick early)

:lolol:

Hoping to sack them on Monday :thumbsup:

How very dare you :eek:. Race doesn't star until 8, I've got LOADS of time to get there for the start.........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Weather looks good to me. Ok slight easterly will be a pain for last three miles but you’ll be sheltered by the crowds for the full length of the Prom. Far worse would be too hot (as in 2017), strong winds or rain which would reduce the support massively. Cold isnt a problem - it was snowing when I started London in 2016!!
Sunshine is great - just look at it glinting off the sea on the way out to Ovingdean for inspiration. I’d still go for a hat and some sun cream (not on the forehead though!!)
In general Brighton seems to be incredibly lucky with the weather - given some of the weekends we’ve had over the last few months!
Really exciting to see the signs going up - looking forward to marshalling on New Church Road and cheering you all on.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Bring it on......I have taper madness so need to run run run run!

Hope to see you all Sunday pre-race in Preston Park by the thunderbird 3 shaped clock tower thing :)

I enjoyed my final long run which was the AW20 when Knocky pipped me in the final mile........git............I finished in 3.13.30 @9.39 a mile which means this was my best long run with mile 20 run at the same pace as mile 1, a first for me. My times did dip from mile 11 but that was the headwind.

Anyway good luck all and roll on Sunday and lets hope we can do the business on the pitch v Bournemouth on Saturday, about time we beat them.

One word of warning for Sunday if you are coming in from Worthing direction, there are no trains first thing, bus replacements up to about 8am

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just went for a wander along Hove Prom. All the barriers are going up. Lots of runners looking like they are doing their last few miles. It’s getting EXCITING!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whoop whoop! Just been to see the best physio this morning. So thorough and really knew her stuff. She picked up via resistance tests that my Psoas muscle was not functioning properly and that this was causing my right leg to over compensate and put pressure on the knee. She did lots of prodding to fix that. Did the resistance test again and the difference was incredible. She thinks that with the right prep this week (hip flexes, foam rolling the quad etc) that I could be ok for Brighton AND London! Going back for additional ultrasound on Friday and pre-race strapping. So I am back in the game! Chuffed, as was fearing the worse and on a bit of a downer about the whole thing, at least now I have a shot at it!

BIG congrats to Artie, unbelievable performance!!! And sounds like all Brighton marathoners are in decent shape, look forward to joining you on Sunday!

Great news....gotta love a decent physio. Another good lesson in going to see someone who knows what they’re talking about - unlikely anyone on here diagnosed it correctly [emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bring it on......I have taper madness so need to run run run run!

Hope to see you all Sunday pre-race in Preston Park by the thunderbird 3 shaped clock tower thing :)

I enjoyed my final long run which was the AW20 when Knocky pipped me in the final mile........git............I finished in 3.13.30 @9.39 a mile which means this was my best long run with mile 20 run at the same pace as mile 1, a first for me. My times did dip from mile 11 but that was the headwind.

Anyway good luck all and roll on Sunday and lets hope we can do the business on the pitch v Bournemouth on Saturday, about time we beat them.

One word of warning for Sunday if you are coming in from Worthing direction, there are no trains first thing, bus replacements up to about 8am

Good practice chasing you down. My race strategy is to give [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] the chance to get up to 5 minutes ahead by mile 16 before hoping to reel him in with a negative second half split. I may be f***** at that stage and/or he may kick on. Only time will tell.

Being called a git may help motivate me, if you try and finish in front of me! See you Sunday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hove against Brighton on Hove Lawns next Friday. 50 runners from Hove run a 5k clockwise and 50 from Brighton run anti clockwise. The best average time gives the winner. Come on Hove. Free entry and beer, burgers and music on offer. I'll not take part as marathon weekend but may interest some of you.

https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/ev...tBp2pbtdR7uPo-IuGnNFU49dvImMm9l5sPn40FKHsu1v0

What about those of us from Shoreham-by-Sea or west of the border?

#Sussexist :tantrum:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Many thanks [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] ! Yep still in shock. I never dreamed it would go as well as it did. I don't think I could have paced it any better (which was my biggest concern.) This probably sounds weird but there were times in the second half when I was hitting low 6 min mile'ing that I felt I was no longer in control of my legs as they were motoring all by themselves?! I couldn't believe I ended up averaging 6:15 min/mile pace. Legs are in bits now though! :)

Amazing performance. Well done!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just catching up with the achievements, pre-race planning and injury updates – there seems to be a lot of excitement and nerves in equal measure around the place. I've seen my first 'Enter Brighton 2020' promo post already and will probably be looking to give it a shot. Meanwhile, I've been back to Tenby for a few days and run a lap of the Ironman marathon course, seven months and one day after I staggered around it. Needless to say there were a few Strava PB segments in there. Had a conversation with the family about going back for another crack next year – looks like I've got the approval :thumbsup:

A massive good luck to the BM crew for Sunday – looks like the weather will be spot on. And a special mention to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] for racing through the night!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good practice chasing you down. My race strategy is to give [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] the chance to get up to 5 minutes ahead by mile 16 before hoping to reel him in with a negative second half split. I may be f***** at that stage and/or he may kick on. Only time will tell.

Being called a git may help motivate me, if you try and finish in front of me! See you Sunday.

I have full on maranoia. The little bruise I have on my thigh was a full on abductor and hip injury in my mind last night and I thought about conceding defeat and going to the pub on Sunday instead. Fortunately, instead, I had an Epsom Salts bath and then got busy with an ice pack. This morning I feel about 60% ready. See you by Thunderbird 3.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have full on maranoia. The little bruise I have on my thigh was a full on abductor and hip injury in my mind last night and I thought about conceding defeat and going to the pub on Sunday instead. Fortunately, instead, I had an Epsom Salts bath and then got busy with an ice pack. This morning I feel about 60% ready. See you by Thunderbird 3.

I woke yesterday streaming with snot. Maybe a good idea for you to stay 10’ away if we meet at registration tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here