Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Second vehicle insurance

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Anyone got any experience of this.
Want to get a mid size van. Have a car with all my no claims on it.
Would I have to insure the second vehicle from scratch no claims wise?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

In my experience yes but they may give you a percentage off for a second car just nowhere near full no claims discount.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Will depend on what the van is used for. If just for social domestic, .i would have thought that they will offer you a reasonable quote as you can’t be driving both at the same time! If van is used for business, then a whole different ball game.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Will depend on what the van is used for. If just for social domestic, .i would have thought that they will offer you a reasonable quote as you can’t be driving both at the same time! If van is used for business, then a whole different ball game.

Will only be for social use

Frank Provocation

Dec 11, 2013
"All you touch & all you see, is all your life will ever be"

What about things you smell, taste & hear?
And then there's the vestibular system which could be useful esp for driving a van!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Work in the industry...

If you have a private car policy then you might get matched bonus. This would be an introductory discount that matches your existing no claims but you wouldn't be able to take it with you if you left that insurer (you'd leave with what you earned). Look to your own insurer first because they are most likely to offer you something.

If you get a commercial vehicle policy (much much cheaper if you have a van) you won't get the matched bonus. You can still have social, domestic & pleasure only on a CV policy but it is a stripped down version of car insurance so don't expect any breaks or bonuses

Either way it's not something you are entitled to, nor will every insurer see it the same way. Driving a transit is different to, say, a hot hatch and so being claim free on one doesn't mean you'll be claim free on the other.

No claims is something marketing people love but pricing people hate because it sounds really good to the customer but is a poor indicator of the probability and cost of future claims (mostly because its distorted by protected bonus and bonus for life and accelerated bonus deals).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here