Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kaz: Starter or Supersub?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Right I know bugger all about football but I will try my best. What I saw yesterday reminded me of his first Withdean days.

We've only seen two KLLs at Falmer. One who starts on the wing and eventually tires or another who comes on late and causes havoc on the wing.

Yesterday he was allowed to play a bit more central which led to the first goal did it not ?

Hope to see more of him in than role. He is unpredictable, dangerous and good at winning the ball if placed in a position that allows him to do so. I hate seeing him stuck out on the wing with three defenders closing him down leading to a mistake which leads to a counter attack.

He is better than that. Much better and yesterday showed that.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Starter...needs an adult to tie his laces properly though if he plays from the start

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Nothing wrong with throwing a strop being substituted , shows he cares and wants to play as much as he can , in the cold light of day he will know himself that he was running on empty and Garcia was correct in bringing him off , we are a better team when he starts , no point in saving him for something in the last 20 minutes when he can give you the same amount of effort for the 1st 60 , barring injury i would be astounded if he did not start our remaining games .

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
I thought he was absolutely fantastic on saturday and his interplay with March and Lingard had charlton chasing shadows at times. If those 3 stay fit and conmtinue to play and train together then we could be in for a very exciting end to the season.

As already mentioned, the pace of are attack died as soon as KLL went off, definate starter for me

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Starting with him is only half the story. It needs to be in that 4-2-3-1 formation where Andrews sits deep and Lua Lua, Lingard and March support Ulloa. Starting him as a lone winger as we did against Sheffield Weds at home just allows the opposition to double team and kick him and leaves the lone striker isolated. It will also depend on WHEN we want to hit the opposition. Clearly against Leicester and Charlton we wanted to go out all guns blazing and try to score early and we did on both occasions. There have been other games this season where we've preferred to build up slowly and tire the opposition out before unleashing our impact players.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
It beggars belief that after him starting has coincided with two of our best attacking performances and effectively saved our season that some people think he should go back to sub. Clueless isn't even close.

This. We are a better team when we score early and dictate play. It is no coincidence that we have scored early in the last two games and gone on to win. It was also very clear that Gordon Greer hardly played a ball backwards against Charlton. One could argue that it was Casper in goal and he didn't trust him, but we have spent too much time pussy footing around in our own half this season at home. Must admit I had to laugh at Nathan Jones comment in the Argus today "We couldn't have a slow build up, as that is what has cost us in the past against teams like Charlton" Christ the penny has finally dropped with three home games to go. God forbid that if they had worked this out earlier then we would have had the play offs hosed and dried by now. Every fan in the stadium could have worked that out months ago. Still we are in for an exciting end to the season.

God forbid that if they had worked this out earlier then we would have had the play offs hosed and dried by now. Every fan in the stadium could have worked that out months ago. Still we are in for an exciting end to the season.

This times a thousand. I do have this chilling feeling we were good enough to be sitting where Burnley are now, but an inexperienced coaching duo kept our powder dry to no real good effect.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Starting with him is only half the story. It needs to be in that 4-2-3-1 formation where Andrews sits deep and Lua Lua, Lingard and March support Ulloa. Starting him as a lone winger as we did against Sheffield Weds at home just allows the opposition to double team and kick him and leaves the lone striker isolated. It will also depend on WHEN we want to hit the opposition. Clearly against Leicester and Charlton we wanted to go out all guns blazing and try to score early and we did on both occasions. There have been other games this season where we've preferred to build up slowly and tire the opposition out before unleashing our impact players.

The second option makes ZERO sense, and is the (debunked) rationale behind all of our lacklustre performances against relatively poor teams this season. We end up chasing games we should be winning. We should ALWAYS go for it from the start. Don't **** up the opportunity you have created (or is that stumbled upon?) Oscar. Just don't. Many on here, including me, have been saying for a long time that we need to be more attacking from the start. We're finally doing that, and look at the results. Why **** with a winning formula? Why?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Right now a starter and particularly as Buckley is not fit to start. Two games though is precious little evidence and the jury is out. We do not want him crocked and he needs to be 'nursed'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The second option makes ZERO sense, and is the (debunked) rationale behind all of our lacklustre performances against relatively poor teams this season. We end up chasing games we should be winning. We should ALWAYS go for it from the start. Don't **** up the opportunity you have created (or is that stumbled upon?) Oscar. Just don't. Many on here, including me, have been saying for a long time that we need to be more attacking from the start. We're finally doing that, and look at the results. Why **** with a winning formula? Why?

I totally agree we should go for it from the start. I think the previous way of going about it may have been due to a combination of the players not quite getting the formation or not having all the players fit to play it. In those circumstances Jones' safety first attitude won. Perhaps this is what Oscar means about not having a big enough squad for the playoffs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Nothing wrong with throwing a strop being substituted , shows he cares and wants to play as much as he can , in the cold light of day he will know himself that he was running on empty and Garcia was correct in bringing him off , we are a better team when he starts , no point in saving him for something in the last 20 minutes when he can give you the same amount of effort for the 1st 60 , barring injury i would be astounded if he did not start our remaining games .

I agree, his strop was just disappointment at being subbed as he was having a great game, I want to see that from players, they should never be happy to be subbed off. That's the Kaz we want to see every week, I really hope he can keep it up as he is unplayable when he is on song like he was on Saturday. The closing down and tackle of the Charlton defender for the first goal on Saturday was excellent, the team rightly went to him to congratulate him for that in the goal celebrations.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Play him from the start. We have Huddersfield and Blackpool coming up and need to ensure we dont just beat them but improve on the goal difference. As [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] said above two of our best attacking performances came recently when he started, why change a winning formation?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I totally agree we should go for it from the start. I think the previous way of going about it may have been due to a combination of the players not quite getting the formation or not having all the players fit to play it. In those circumstances Jones' safety first attitude won. Perhaps this is what Oscar means about not having a big enough squad for the playoffs.

Agreed. Maybe I was being a bit harsh on Oscar / I was not recognising our injury plight this season. That said I certainly recall games when we had the player to, but chose not to, 'go for it from the off'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here