Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Goodbye Old Friend

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm back what a day . up at 5 30 for work ,let him out in garden and cooked Sausages his favorite treat . Said my goodbyes to him then left for work in floods of tears . Got through the day somehow even managed to smash the screen on my phone:ffsparr: but who cares. My mother and brother were with him when the time came . He went peacefully in his bed . Both the vet and the guy from the cremation firm were very caring.

Finally to everyone who has posted such kind words on here i thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart,may even see some of you in Worthing tomorrow night . All the best.

Sorry to hear that. But great to hear about the sausages .... a 5* hotel for Tresco.

On NSC, from now on I’ll always remember you as one of the many good people.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Sad to hear this news.
I have 2 Goldens and I am dreading the day this happens. Have been through this twice before and I would be lying if I said it gets easier. You have to be strong and know they will always be there with you. You never know, Tresco may come back into your life again in another canine buddy.

Sorry and sad for bouncing this.
Well the day has happened. We sadly lost Charley to cancer. Best friend, faithful companion, co driver and part of our 13 year American adventure from the beginning. Thankfully she passed away at home in her own time. This picture was from last week on the way back from the beach, in one of her favorite spots, co driving with me. She will never be forgotten for the contribution to the life we have in the USA and to our lives as a whole. See you later Chuck.

Charley Feb 2020.jpg

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
I am so, so sorry for your loss. The devestation when you lose them goes beyond deep. I lost one of my Goldens, Cooper, a week before Xmas, struck down by stomach cancer, from fully fit to gone in a week at the young age of five. Still reeling from it now. RIP Chuck, sleep well. Find Cooper in the Golden playground in the sky and give him a big hug for me please. He'll look after you.xx
Well the day has happened. We sadly lost Charley to cancer. Best friend, faithful companion, co driver and part of our 13 year American adventure from the beginning. Thankfully she passed away at home in her own time. This picture was from last week on the way back from the beach, in one of her favorite spots, co driving with me. She will never be forgotten for the contribution to the life we have in the USA and to our lives as a whole. See you later Chuck.

View attachment 120081

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

View attachment 120081

What a gorgeous girl....so sorry for your loss :down:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Dogs are fantastic animals. They are loyal and loving companions. Sounds like you were both lucky to have each other. We lost the second of our three labs in September aged13.5 so I know how you must feel. Just remember her fondly for all the great times and be glad you had the chance to care for her. You both gained immeasurably. Run free Charley

Feb 9, 2020
We know it's always for the best

Well, what a sad but equally heart warming subject to find today. I didn't ever think this would be my first post on NSC but when reading it I hope it rings true for you as it did for me some eight years ago.

THE LAST BATTLE (aka If It Should Be) – Author Unknown

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When the time comes,
Please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they’ll tend,
Only, stay with me until the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don’t grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do
We’ve been so close – we two – these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. Anatole France

They always live on in our hearts.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=35421]PTC Gull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7082]Jack Hackett[/MENTION] - genuinely sorry to hear about the losses of both Charley (what a stunningly beautiful girl) and Cooper.

They were lucky to have had such loving owners. All the best.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
[MENTION=35421]PTC Gull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7082]Jack Hackett[/MENTION] - genuinely sorry to hear about the losses of both Charley (what a stunningly beautiful girl) and Cooper.

Thanks. Hopefully they are playing together in the "Big" park.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
To all that have left comments and thumbs up I am extremely grateful (I have something in my eye as I type this) Whilst we knew this day would come it was still a shock to lose her so suddenly. Unfortunately with Retriever,Labs and German Shepherds this is a common cause of their demise, and normally you only find out they are sick after it's too late to do anything about it.
@ atfc, my apologies for hijacking the thread but its helping with my sadness.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Thanks fella, appreciated. And you're right, Charley was a stunning girl bless her.

el punal

So sorry to hear about Charley, she obviously had a wonderful and loving life. I read your post just after taking this photo of my boxer Maisie and my daughter’s little mischievous puppy Matilda. I must admit to having a tear in my eye, my heart goes out to you.

3DA79007-3FFB-4610-B9BB-9172F62B4E05.jpeg

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
So sorry to hear about Charley, she obviously had a wonderful and loving life. I read your post just after taking this photo of my boxer Maisie and my daughter’s little mischievous puppy Matilda. I must admit to having a tear in my eye, my heart goes out to you.

View attachment 120089

Great photo and Thanks, appreciated.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
For all of us who have been through the loss of a four legged family member, I wanted to post the following poem, which was sent to me from a friend. I hope it's true.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 19.27.11.png

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Well, what a sad but equally heart warming subject to find today. I didn't ever think this would be my first post on NSC but when reading it I hope it rings true for you as it did for me some eight years ago.

THE LAST BATTLE (aka If It Should Be) – Author Unknown

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When the time comes,
Please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they’ll tend,
Only, stay with me until the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don’t grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do
We’ve been so close – we two – these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

Thank you, I wish I could have read this a couple of years ago. Nice thoughts...

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I think I'm going to have to go through this soon. Our Cocker Spaniel was diagnosed with Lymphoma on Christmas Eve and given one to two months on steroids. We didn't want to go down the chemo route, as he's 10, had a rough life in Romania for his first 8 years and we didn't want to put him through the stress of chemo just to give him an extra six months or so..

The first month or so on steroids were fantastic - they gave him a real energy boost and we were able to go on some lovely long walks to lots of new places. However, the last couple of weeks we can really notice him slowing down. He's still getting excited for his walks (although is really struggling to keep up and is shattered after 20 mins), still loves his cuddles but is starting to go off his food.

I think he's probably got another couple of weeks left in him before we have to make the difficult decision, so we're just going to spoil him as much as possible until then. We've only had him since May 2018 but he's become such an important part of our lives and it breaks my heart to think of him not being around.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Thoughts are with you fella. Heart wrenching reading that. My golden, Cooper, was rescued from Romania in 2015. The only crumb of comfort I took when we lost him so suddenly was that we'd rescued him from hell and gave him a wonderful life. Be proud of yourself for doing that with your boy, and I hope it gives you strength at this toughest of times.
I think I'm going to have to go through this soon. Our Cocker Spaniel was diagnosed with Lymphoma on Christmas Eve and given one to two months on steroids. We didn't want to go down the chemo route, as he's 10, had a rough life in Romania for his first 8 years and we didn't want to put him through the stress of chemo just to give him an extra six months or so..

The first month or so on steroids were fantastic - they gave him a real energy boost and we were able to go on some lovely long walks to lots of new places. However, the last couple of weeks we can really notice him slowing down. He's still getting excited for his walks (although is really struggling to keep up and is shattered after 20 mins), still loves his cuddles but is starting to go off his food.

I think he's probably got another couple of weeks left in him before we have to make the difficult decision, so we're just going to spoil him as much as possible until then. We've only had him since May 2018 but he's become such an important part of our lives and it breaks my heart to think of him not being around.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Really feel for you, it’s such a hard decision.

As I posted earlier in the thread we lost our 16 year old rescue dog in January 2019. It absolutely broke our hearts and I was unable to even consider getting another dog until late January this year when we took the leap and acquired our 8 week old puppy

965FEBEC-104B-412F-833B-2A4F44390AB6.jpeg

Just trying to add a little positivity to a very sad thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here