Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Bank Holiday Working.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm on shifts and we get an enhanced rate for BH's, Christmas, NY etc. How my shifts have fallen means I've worked all the Banks this year. Fine by me, I like my 4 on 4 off shift so I take the good and bad.
Not to offer anything for a bank holiday shift is a bit mean but perfectly legal.

We work on a clocking on App on the phone so clocks forward or back, we get paid for the time we are there. Do employers really pay an hour less on clock change? That's shocking.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I'm on shifts and we get an enhanced rate for BH's, Christmas, NY etc. How my shifts have fallen means I've worked all the Banks this year. Fine by me, I like my 4 on 4 off shift so I take the good and bad.
Not to offer anything for a bank holiday shift is a bit mean but perfectly legal.

We work on a clocking on App on the phone so clocks forward or back, we get paid for the time we are there. Do employers really pay an hour less on clock change? That's shocking.
point is point is Mrs LBG is set to work Sunday 9pm into Monday 7am and no Lieu Day ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
point is point is Mrs LBG is set to work Sunday 9pm into Monday 7am and no Lieu Day ?

I don't really understand the lieu day thing. I'm working this Sunday and will get paid double time from Midnight til 08:30. My shift falls on that night and I have to do it. Never been offered days in lieu.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Yup, the argument being that when the clocks go forward you only work 11 hours but get paid 12 so it balances out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought you'd be retired by now and living in a retirement flat in Bexhill, wasnt that the plan :D
On a serious note, I only get Christmas day, Boxing day & New Years day off as part of my holiday entitlement, all other BH I just have to work within my shift pattern, i get nowt in lieu.

**** me. No wonder you're longing for retirement.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In the 1990s we had the choice, if working a BH, to either have 2.5x pay or 1.5x AND a day in lieu; this meant that if your week of nights started at 23:00 on a Monday you could have an extra day off for the cost of an hours pay.
That, along with a number of other little tickles (like kipping half the night shift), went sometime around the minellium.

My Mrs used to work a rolling rota, 2 on, 4 off and got no extra for any shifts as it was built into her salary and no bank holidays as they were added to her leave; if she was off on a BH she had to book it as leave. When she went onto days she was on same money and leave but working Tues/Wed/Thu.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Without researching what the law states my take on it and how my staff contracts are that they get 5.6 weeks per annum. This is made up of 20 holiday days and 8 bank holidays. If they work a BH they can either receive 8 hours pay or a lieu day if worked.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

As long as she has 28 days of holiday or more in a year (BHs included or not included), then it's totally legal. As is paying her her normal rate. It all depends on the contract she signed ultimately.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Without researching what the law states my take on it and how my staff contracts are that they get 5.6 weeks per annum. This is made up of 20 holiday days and 8 bank holidays. If they work a BH they can either receive 8 hours pay or a lieu day if worked.

This is literally it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here