Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You’ll just have to trust me regarding the sauce but I’m reasonably certain that Trollope at least knew he’d go if CH did and wasn’t about to make long term plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you but there is a monetary difference between leaving by mutual consent and being sacked.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Had enough of this toing and froing about the sacking of C.H.. After all, there have been numerous threads about the rights and wrongs concerning the departure our erstwhile manager and surely everybody who wanted to have their say has had ample opportunity to do so.
We don't all agree and never will, but surely it is time to move on and look forward to a new season under an exciting new manager,and so it is a tad disappointing that the doomsayers amongst us are already saying/ hinting ' big mistake, we'll go down under this unknown fellow'.

Some people still think whinging Poyet was hard done by, so the Hughton remainers will complain for many years to come.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Much better for him to be sacked now instead of maybe at Christmas when we were like Huddersfield

Agreed, just a shame he couldn't motivate the team, to produce the form they were in, earlier in season, where we could have least ended this season in a respectable position, instead of walking the relegation tightrope.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot of our fans seem to have the same mentality as Chris in that 17th is really the best a small club like bhafc can possibly hope to achieve. Anything above is a massive bonus. I think Bloom has the bar higher. I am with Bloom

From 8 December, our solitary wins were Everton, Hudd and CP, whilst playing awful losing football with no pace and very rarely scoring. Only staying up by a whisker. We were shite, we became a joke at home against everyone bar Hudd.

Team TB all the way.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Better for Chris to be sacked, he gets paid up that way. Mutual consent is asking the Manager to agree that he has been shite, the club needs to get someone else in, and he does not deserve to be paid the remainder of his contract.

I'm sure it makes no difference whether it's a sacking or mutual consent. In either case you'd get your contract paid up.

Poyet was different because he was sacked for gross misconduct and that would mean no pay off.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
CH didn’t give Bong a new contract, the club did. TB (in consultation with the expert Ashworth) would’ve made the ultimate decision, on committing the club financially.

so what ? Chris would have had the final say and thus be working on basis that he was preparing for next season. Thus - surprise at being sacked.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed, just a shame he couldn't motivate the team, to produce the form they were in, earlier in season, where we could have least ended this season in a respectable position, instead of walking the relegation tightrope.

Well someone motivated them to get 3 crucial points and some decent performances against Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal and Newcastle and thus stay up...

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't thank Tony - anyone slightly surprised by that?

"Thanks to the chairman for the opportunity etc etc" or still smarting a bit too much?

This makes me think even more that it was the right decision. For him to not have any idea that we were on a massive downward spiral in terms of performances and morale towards the end of this season suggests he wouldn't be the right man to sort it.

Perhaps those two are linked? Look back at Hughton's previous Premier League bosses and how little loyalty they showed him, look at the loyalty Bloom showed to Hyypia when it appeared to everyone else he was taking us down. Yes, the performances were bad, results were bad, but there was mitigation to that; we had injuries to Gross and Izquierdo - two key players to our more exciting attacking play. New signings weren't settling in and producing as we'd hoped, no new signings in january to bolster the 1st team squad. Bloom has previous shown patience, has shown tremendous support, and according to Andy Naylor* had given no indication to Hughton he was even considering firing him. In those circumstances, I think it's entirely reasonable to think, as many many fans did, that he would be given the summer to freshen the squad and the early part of next season to show improvement. The surprise isn't that results and performances were bad, it was that the chairman wasn't as loyal/understanding/pragmatic/whatever as he had previously been. That "betrayal" (for lack of a better phrase) may be why he was surprised and why he has not thanked him in his statement.

* some of the tweets:
[tweet]1131130754103164930[/tweet]
[tweet]1131136035801448449[/tweet]
[tweet]1131137475445968896[/tweet]
[tweet]1131144850378825728[/tweet]

Can we get one thing straight re that season we stayed up. It was Blackburn beating Millwall on the Tuesday nite before we were due to play Boro in the final game of the season (no not that one) that kept us up. It was up until that point highly probable that we may have had to get a result to stay up and with our form going into that game I doubt we would have got it.

Apart from a brief purple patch in Jan where we beat Leeds, mugged Derby and scraped past Birmingham we started to stink out from Feb (winning one in March Blackburn A thanks to an OGGY/O'Grady goal) so its was a familiar pattern to the back end of this season. Defend, defend, defend, zero shots, let alone on target and relying on another team to dig us out the shit.

So, we only stayed up because there were three worse teams than us?

It's almost like that's how a league system is designed, being the 17th best out of 20 is being good enough to stay up. Having three teams that are worse than you means no matter how bad you were, you were too good, too successful to go down that year.

Ok. Perhaps because he'd been given support publicly by the board leading up to the Man City game

That tears it. The public vote of confidence. We all should have seen this coming.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Released by the LMA this morning....................

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/chris-hughton-statement/

In a statement released by the League Managers Association, Chris Hughton said: “I was hugely disappointed and surprised, by the decision that was made to end my time with Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my four and a half years managing this special football club. I would like to put on record my gratitude to my coaching staff, the players, fans, everyone connected to the club and the wider community of Brighton & Hove and wish them luck for the future.

LMA Chief Executive Richard Bevan added: “Chris’ impressive tenure has been inspirational for his peers in the game.

“He has helped transform Brighton & Hove Albion, from fighting relegation to League One, to competing with the best teams in the world and retaining Premier League status for yet another season.

“This season, he again proved his managerial ability in also leading his team to the Semi-Final of the FA Cup for only the second time in the club’s history.

“He continues to be a tremendous role model for young managers and coaches in the game.”
Pleased to note that Chris has so much praise from the LMA,added to this are many top managers comments backing him

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Crap

Poyet disrespected my club

Hughton enhanced the brand for TB and got shafted

Crap

Did enhance the brand and for 4 years did a good job, and at times outstanding. However he didn’t get shafted. Club owner made a decision he thought in the best interests of the club (his club) after a desperately poor half of a season with seemingly little inclination to stop the rot other than trying to draw every game 0-0.

Got fired (after possibly turning down the chance to leave by mutual consent), almost certainly got his contract paid up (seven figures in the bank) and will walk into another job.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well someone motivated them to get 3 crucial points and some decent performances against Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal and Newcastle and thus stay up...

Surely this was a case of having to do something, as the fear of relegation was too much to bear.
The emotions in the dressing room must've been tense, knowing that a lot was at stake.
Meanwhile behind the scenes TB is contemplating playing a high stakes poker hand that might divide opinion.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
so what ? Chris would have had the final say and thus be working on basis that he was preparing for next season. Thus - surprise at being sacked.

Owners don’t give warnings ahead of sackings, the notorious vote of confidence is meaningless.

Five months of awful, losing football, was enough was Tony Bloom, hard to blame the guy who’s pumped in £300m to get us where we are.

Interesting that you mention CH had the final say on a player matter. That neatly puts to bed the sometime NSC theory that Locadia and Jahanbakhsh were imposed on CH.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I really thought TB would keep CH even if we got relegated.. glad I was wrong.
Chris couldn't adapt his tactics to the premier league a little better with the resources he had. I liked him.

Just a thought, He didn't keep us up, The shittier teams below us did that for us.

If you check the premier league standing history over the last 10 years. We would of been relegated 3 times on those points.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here