Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Let's not try and rewrite history. That L1 relegation team had made the playoffs the previous season. Yes, he turned things around but it's not like he had nothing to work with.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Absolutely This, previous TWO seasons if I recall correctly?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Don’t think Stephens would struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of his core strengths is playing to the manager’s instruction. I suspect he’ll be asked to press higher up the pitch than he is used to, quicken up transition with forward thinking one touch passes and take a few more shots on goal. I think he’ll be fine, but it will be interesting to see who he has alongside him.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have to admit to being nervous about the appointment of Graham Potter it's a huge step up and against opposition that can tear you apart. Not knowing anything about his style of play I have spent a while looking at videos of Swansea's performances last season and Indeed the team as a whole bomb forward and are encouraged to shoot for almost anywhere but equally their defensive line was all over the place and at our level teams will punish us for that.

I also watched some videos from his time in Sweden and his Chairman there was a young forward thinking type of guy not unlike our Tony who said and I quote "we always win even when we loose we win because we learn somthing from every experience" now I think he has not had the same Chairman manager relationship at Swansea while still getting a team of relatively unknown players to perform, I can see we have the set up here that might just suite his ethos, time will tell how the other premier league teams cope with his style of play.

Finally we have a great fan base but we like other clubs have many unrealistic twats who expectations far beyond reality who were calling for Houghtons head, please you got what you wanted let's all get behind Potter and the team and stop the barracking from the stands UTA

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
One of his core strengths is playing to the manager’s instruction. I suspect he’ll be asked to press higher up the pitch than he is used to, quicken up transition with forward thinking one touch passes and take a few more shots on goal. I think he’ll be fine, but it will be interesting to see who he has alongside him.

Agreed, also Potter puts a huge amount of effort into building player confidence. His oddball ballet and rap sessions are all about putting players out of their comfort zones.

Dale will benefit from this a lot, he has the ability but sometimes looks like he opts not to play an incisive pass for fear of giving the ball away.

Potter also looks to transition quickly from back to front. This is something our current squad can do, but seemed reluctant to do in recent months.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
From a Swansea fan on the BBC site: "As a Swansea fan - Brighton, your team will play some lovely, quick, counter attacking football which at times will be wondeful to watch. God help you defensively, particularly set pieces- Potter has a huge blind spot there. "

We should have kept CH on the defensive coach. At that, he’s world class!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I have to admit to being nervous about the appointment of Graham Potter it's a huge step up and against opposition that can tear you apart. Not knowing anything about his style of play I have spent a while looking at videos of Swansea's performances last season and Indeed the team as a whole bomb forward and are encouraged to shoot for almost anywhere but equally their defensive line was all over the place and at our level teams will punish us for that.

I also watched some videos from his time in Sweden and his Chairman there was a young forward thinking type of guy not unlike our Tony who said and I quote "we always win even when we loose we win because we learn somthing from every experience" now I think he has not had the same Chairman manager relationship at Swansea while still getting a team of relatively unknown players to perform, I can see we have the set up here that might just suite his ethos, time will tell how the other premier league teams cope with his style of play.

Finally we have a great fan base but we like other clubs have many unrealistic twats who expectations far beyond reality who were calling for Houghtons head, please you got what you wanted let's all get behind Potter and the team and stop the barracking from the stands UTA

He seems like a very intelligent guy. I'm quite confident he will a bit more pragmatic in the Premier League. Very very different set up here compared to Swansea. Intriguing summer ahead...!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
"But that match seems to have been a turning point because their record since then is awful.

They’ve played 22 league games since that goal-less draw at the DW Stadium, conceding 36 goals. Only four teams in the entire division have conceded more in that period and three of them are currently in the relegation zone"

Not sure I'd call it interesting. Worrying, yes. Our Achilles heal is letting in goals on the break.

New club doctor?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I would say ‘nervous’ is a huge understatement!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
He seems like a very intelligent guy. I'm quite confident he will a bit more pragmatic in the Premier League. Very very different set up here compared to Swansea. Intriguing summer ahead...!

Does “a bit more pragmatic” mean “more like Hughton”?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Jankovic seemed an intelligent guy who would realise the pragmatism required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here