Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No council elections in my area but my brother was just telling me about how he voted in Brighton and that he had voted in a way that he saw as a protest vote, which from what I can see was a waste of time the party he would have voted for will be saying well it was a disappointing night while the party he voted for will be saying this is vindication that we represent the views of the majority, we need a party that is maybe called The Political Dissatisfaction party, they should have no policies other than a home for the dissatisfied, as the current options either give a boost to a party or at worst get a policy you never really wanted like Brexit and not voting is just seen by politicians as apathy where as The Political Dissatisfaction Party says exactly what it is

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
By voting AGAINST Brexit in big numbers. Not sure about your logic there.

Why exactly was UKIP all but decimated yesterday then, and the biggest gains were for a staunchly anti-Brexit Party?

Labour and the Tories are both theoretically committed to Leave and have ****ed it up in a spectacular manner, Lib Dems are purely a protest vote as ever. UKIP have relaunched as a version of EDP so were bound to lose votes, wait until the Euro Elections to see the shit really hit the fan from Breixiteers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
you cant say the vote is against Brexit (or anything), other than where UKIP have lost. consider Sunderland strong brexit vote, Labour loses 12 seats to Conservatives. could say thats a vote in favour of Brexit? across the country both main parties have lost but Brexit for and against cuts across party lines. did a councilor get voted out because their party is too brexit, not brexit enough or a local issue? a pox on both your houses is probably the most appropriate analysis, i'd like to see the turn out.

Sorry, you’re conveniently ignoring that Lib Dems are staunchly anti-Brexit, and are making huge gains. UKIP - the clearest pro-Brexit party - have been all but wiped out.

There’s not many ways you can spin that.

Stumpy Tim

How is that sitting on the fence lark working out for Labour? It is regrettable that the long lost art of picking a side, banking those votes and then going out to convince the others has perhaps disappeared for generations to come.

I've had a (Momentum) guy on Twitter claim that New Labour were just middle of the road Tories. Apart from the obvious fact that at least New Labour got elected, isn't it funny how his leader is trying to sit on the fence on Brexit - the very definition of middle of the road.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
By voting AGAINST Brexit in big numbers. Not sure about your logic there.

The logic is that its not voting AGAINST Brexit, its voting against the HANDLING of Brexit, which is two very different things.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry, you’re conveniently ignoring that Lib Dems are staunchly anti-Brexit, and are making huge gains. UKIP - the clearest pro-Brexit party - have been all but wiped out.

There’s not many ways you can spin that.

not ignoring or spinning, simply saying your analysis is biased to your particular veiw.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Now 16 Cons, 15 Independents.

Bit more interesting.

At least in my ward the 2 cons were elected, meaning the racists don't control the council.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not ignoring or spinning, simply saying your analysis is biased to your particular veiw.
[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] is right though isn’t he?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
you cant say the vote is against Brexit (or anything), other than where UKIP have lost. consider Sunderland strong brexit vote, Labour loses 12 seats to Conservatives. could say thats a vote in favour of Brexit? across the country both main parties have lost but Brexit for and against cuts across party lines. did a councilor get voted out because their party is too brexit, not brexit enough or a local issue? a pox on both your houses is probably the most appropriate analysis, i'd like to see the turn out.

The two Remain parties both make big gains, whilst the three Leave parties make massive losses.

I can't imagine what that could mean :facepalm:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the Tories think things are bad now then wait until the Euro elections where The Brexit Party and Change UK will also come into play.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The two Remain parties both make big gains, whilst the three Leave parties make massive losses.

I can't imagine what that could mean :facepalm:

and the large gains for independents?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
and the large gains for independents?

The large gains for independents are obviously at the expense of people deserting the big two (coincidentally Brexit) parties, look at the numbers.

And the large gains for the Lib Dems and Green (coincidentally Remain) parties ?

And the wiping out of the one policy UKIP (coincidentally Brexit) party ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If the Tories think things are bad now then wait until the Euro elections where The Brexit Party and Change UK will also come into play.
Agree about the brexit party but change? They are polling very low at the moment and that is unlikely to change.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The large gains for independents are obviously at the expense of people deserting the big two (coincidentally Brexit) parties, look at the numbers.

And the large gains for the Lib Dems and Green (coincidentally Remain) parties ?

And the wiping out of the one policy UKIP (coincidentally Brexit) party ?

already acknowledged, UKIP loses are obviously lose of support for brexit. but else where its a tenuous link. was reading about Wirral where Labour lost seats to Greens, due to local opposition to the Labour council develpment plans for green belt. how many more seats are changing hands because of local issues? i suppose we're just going to go with a narrow view this means the country has rejected brexit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How is that sitting on the fence lark working out for Labour? It is regrettable that the long lost art of picking a side, banking those votes and then going out to convince the others has perhaps disappeared for generations to come.

Yes. Will never happen with Corbyn as leader. Entirely focused on manipulating the process in his own party to ensure he stays as leader for ever. Like Robert Mugabe. Not really interested in what is actually going on in the country. Much more interested in deselecting sitting labour councellors and MPs and replacing them with momentumists. Labour would have walked these elections had they had an actual competant leader.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fair-sized swing away from the parties looking to proceed with Brexit.

Conservatives (pro Brexit) heavy losses, Labour (pro Brexit) minor losses, UKIP (pro Brexit) all but gone, big gains for Lib Dem’s (anti Brexit), Greens (anti Brexit) and Independents (mixed).

The people are showing they don’t want Brexit anymore. Be interesting to see if the undemocratic loons respect democracy.

My votes in this local election had nothing to do with my views on Brexit. Only an idiot would link the two.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The logic is that its not voting AGAINST Brexit, its voting against the HANDLING of Brexit, which is two very different things.

By voting in historically large numbers FOR an anti Brexit party. Gotcha.

You’re right, if I wanted Brexit I would also vote for a party that doesn’t want Brexit. Definitely.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
already acknowledged, UKIP loses are obviously lose of support for brexit. but else where its a tenuous link. was reading about Wirral where Labour lost seats to Greens, due to local opposition to the Labour council develpment plans for green belt. how many more seats are changing hands because of local issues? i suppose we're just going to go with a narrow view this means the country has rejected brexit.

What you have quoted there is a local issue which has effected one or more local seats at a local election. When hundreds and thousands of these are put together, they create trends. I am really at a complete loss why you are trying to deny the overall trend of this election, but really can't be arsed to argue about what I believe to be blindingly obvious :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here