Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasonably interesting and pointless football facts

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In February 1993, Congleton Town were due to play at home when the club's programme editor received a call to say that lifelong fan Fred Cope had died.

A hastily-written obituary was stapled to the back of every programme. At the game, the home supporters huddled in groups mourning the loss of their friend.

A minute’s silence was arranged with 30 seconds for Fred Cope and another 30 seconds for World Cup winner Bobby Moore, who had died the weekend previous.

Fred Cope then interrupted the minute’s silence. He was a few minutes later than usual and discovered on arrival that the club was mourning his passing.

Alarmed by Cope’s presence, the Congleton programme editor then spoke over the tannoy saying that the minute’s silence was for Moore alone.

Cope said he “wondered why I got some funny looks as I arrived” and remarked, “I’ve been bad over the last week, but not that bad!”.

To celebrate, Cope even bought tickets for the raffle in which he promptly won £10 and a bottle of whiskey.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I woke up this morning and my first thought was that what I'd posted was incorrect: Elysse Perry has also played in the cricket and football World Cup (and not just in the qualifiers). But while she's played in the cricket WC final, she's not made it to the football WC final - but did make it to the QF.

I'd be intrigued to know who's done both

Sorry yes - Perry was who I meant ('Finals' rather than 'Final' with regards to the football).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yep. Went to a game there with Seagulls Over London years ago. We were in the bar after the game when a big cheer went up - the league table was on the TV, showing the bottom half of Division 3 - Rochdale were top of it (aka 13th).

That was when we (Seagulls Over London) took a box for the day, and had a Christmas Dinner. Marvellous day.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I used to work with a girl who dated Keith Dublin, and when I asked .... she admitted to be just a little bit scared the first time, thereby confirming what Gulls Eye had previously told us on one of their front covers.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic is the only Premier League player whose last name is completely made up of roman numerals: V (5), I (1), D (500), I (1), C (100). :rolleyes:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You can't be offside from a goalkick.

Interesting? No. But always fun to inform someone when they are going mad that a striker hasn't been flagged.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A toilet at a football ground flushes in the key of e minor.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Glasgow Rangers reached the semi final of the English FA Cup in 1886/87

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
In a pre season tour with Wet Sham, Arry was getting dogs abuse from a supporter through out the match questioning his forward selection. In the second half one of them got injured and with no forwards on the bench he asked said supporter if he could do any better; of course he came on and scored with 10min to go!

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Substitutes were first introduced in English football in the1965/66 season. And only 1 could be used. Imagine that today!
When was it increased? Wasn’t before 1983, Norman ******* Whiteside

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here