Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer signings

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Still a relatively regular starter at Anfield, and as you say only 33, so why wiould he want to come to Brighton? especially for the vastly reduced salary that he would earn here.

Otherwise, yes a good call, and I agree, the sort of player that we badly need.

I think Bloom needs to re-visit the wage structure. We are desperate for some PL experience, you have to pay for it, not necessarily in transfer fees but in wages.

We are where we are due to low wages and gambled foreign buys. Bloom and Barber have both reiterated their desire for us to establish ourselves in the PL, you're not going to manage that on our wage structure. All you are going to do is flirt with relegation year on year until the day you fall through the trap door.

The press mention the gap from the top 6 to the rest. Yes there is but in reality the games themselves aren't any different to years gone past. The last time we graced the top division we won on average the same amount of games, our position in the table similar and wins against the top sides about the same. I was at Forest, at Liverpool when we won in the league. We played virtually the same as we do today, backs to wall and hope our one chance we score.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Bloom needs to re-visit the wage structure. We are desperate for some PL experience, you have to pay for it, not necessarily in transfer fees but in wages.

We are where we are due to low wages and gambled foreign buys. Bloom and Barber have both reiterated their desire for us to establish ourselves in the PL, you're not going to manage that on our wage structure. All you are going to do is flirt with relegation year on year until the day you fall through the trap door.

The press mention the gap from the top 6 to the rest. Yes there is but in reality the games themselves aren't any different to years gone past. The last time we graced the top division we won on average the same amount of games, our position in the table similar and wins against the top sides about the same. I was at Forest, at Liverpool when we won in the league. We played virtually the same as we do today, backs to wall and hope our one chance we score.

That is easy to say but in most cases it would mean doubling the existing wages so could TB afford to double our wages bill, or more to the point will he want to.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That is easy to say but in most cases it would mean doubling the existing wages so could TB afford to double our wages bill, or more to the point will he want to.

If not he will go back to heavy losses in the Championship. That's the fact in today's world. There's no cheap option.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton are not in a position to pay big Prem wages and we'll still have to box clever. I think Kenedy might be worth considering, also Camarasa, Isaac Hayden, Calum Chambers.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dru Yearwood SOUTHEND please , excellent prospect and probably ready for a first team place on the bench , very classy calm with a really good up and down engine could do with a bit of strengthening from what iv'e seen (quite a lot) , he would fill my out of the blue signing and another plus is he's actually a U18 ENGLAND player .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brighton are not in a position to pay big Prem wages and we'll still have to box clever. I think Kenedy might be worth considering, also Camarasa, Isaac Hayden, Calum Chambers.

Bmuff, CP, Leicester, Stains, Newcastle and Wolves pay (up to) far more than our cap of £50k a week.

Why can’t we match that, for the right players?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Watching Neil Maupay tear Dirty a new one at Brentford. Utter pest & knows where the back of the net is. Can't see him being there next season so worth a punt?

Brentford and Peterborough both have pretty good form for digging out gems that go on to better things.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Bmuff, CP, Leicester, Stains, Newcastle and Wolves pay (up to) far more than our cap of £50k a week.

Why can’t we match that, for the right players?

Whats the point of paying 14 million for Locadia and giving him say 50k a week (2.5 million a year) when we could get a better player for less fee and pay them the difference in wages so they actually cost no more to the club?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
CMS? :wink: Ok we loved him but he wasn't great.

Could never doubt CMS attitude or desire.......... Assombolonga, Dwight Gayle, the fella Mendez-Laing who scored the screamer last week...... I think they've got a pretty good scouting system in the lower leagues, Brentford to.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Are any of those necessarily any better or different to the players we already have though? I can only reiterate what I have said on other threads, I don't think it's so much the players that have been at fault, but more the system that they are being asked to play.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Dru Yearwood SOUTHEND please , excellent prospect and probably ready for a first team place on the bench , very classy calm with a really good up and down engine could do with a bit of strengthening from what iv'e seen (quite a lot) , he would fill my out of the blue signing and another plus is he's actually a U18 ENGLAND player .

From Southend straight to the Premier League . . . no l don't think so. As far as 'one for the future' in concerned, well I think we already have enough of those. Very few are ever seen again anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are any of those necessarily any better or different to the players we already have though? I can only reiterate what I have said on other threads, I don't think it's so much the players that have been at fault, but more the system that they are being asked to play.

Whoever’s our manager come August, we need to buy some better first teamers. It’s so apparent, especially in CM, creatively, in terms of pace and goals.

If we stay up, the PL is going to be so competitive next season, just watch the quality additions to be made this summer by other clubs.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whoever’s our manager come August, we need to buy some better first teamers. It’s so apparent, especially in CM, creatively, in terms of pace and goals.

If we stay up, the PL is going to be so competitive next season, just watch the quality additions to be made this summer by other clubs.

Well, I'd prepare to be disappointed then. we have this rigid wage structure that l am sure the club isn't going to break. I can see the August transfer window being a near carbon copy of the last few.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, I'd prepare to be disappointed then. we have this rigid wage structure that l am sure the club isn't going to break. I can see the August transfer window being a near carbon copy of the last few.

If they don’t, shirley our luck will run out and we’ll drop.

Even with a Nathan Jones, Allardyce or Pardew in charge.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Depends what you mean by big.

If we buy a player on a 4 year contract for 15 million and give him the alleged max of 50k pw, that's 15 million plus 10 million in wages over 4 years. 25 total.

If we could get some higher calibre player on a free and pay 100k per week with say a 5 million sign on bonus. That's 20 million in wages and 5 million sign on. 25 also, so no difference in cost to the club...... But if you're willing to pay 100pw for a free youre fishing in a lot bigger and better quality pool.

Of course sell on value plays a part to, but anyone half decent will have numerous suitors and if we're limited to 50k you can bet another interested party isn't. Hey ho, it's TB's dosh

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

This. But with CH still in charge please.

I'm rather afraid we may have got some players on 'highest earner' contracts, which could be a problem. But that's our own fault anyway. We - or rather TB - will have to live with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here