Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
To be fair to Hughton, he has to deal with the squad that he's got. Let's face it the budget he had meant buying risky attacking players.

This isn't all on his shoulders.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We've just conceded 7 goals in 2 games at home without scoring - both games we've conceded a pathetically defended goal inside the first half hour making it incredibly difficult to get anything from the game.

What is he supposed to say, defending isn't the issue at the moment?

If we got a new manager in tomorrow, that is exactly what they'd say. Our survival right now I will say is down to how many goals we don't concede, not how many we score. If we can keep a clean sheet, we will genuinely have a chance of the winning the game. Keep going 1 nil down early and we'll go down.

Put it this way, 2 draws from our last 5 is basically as good as 1 win, in either event Cardiff would need to beat Fulham and Palace provided our GD stays reasonably ahead, or get something against Liverpool or Man Utd.

Clean sheet on Saturday would be massive. Could transform how we go into the final 4 games.

What bollox of course defending is very important so is scoring goals .you say our survival is down to how many goals we don’t conceded ?[emoji23]not how many we score Jesus !
So what happens when we do concede ? Hope it’s only 1
Yes by keeping it tight we r in the game but the team at the moment have no clue no passion no belief no anything and that IS at the managers door !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm officially HughtonOut, but I kind of agree with him here. His successes with us have all been based on ultra conservative defensive solidity, keeping it tight and then exploiting the few chances we get. Assuming that he is unable of getting us to ping it round like Ajax in a week, and assuming that we're far less proficient at exploiting chances, our best bet is definitely to hunker down further.

Psychologically though, I’m really not sure it sends out the right message. He’s basically saying he has no faith in us scoring any more goals this season. You can’t defend for 90 minutes and HOPE the ball doesn’t go in your net. That’s not how you fight to stay up, surely?

Mmm yes as much as I love Chris for his class and what he has done for our club I feel like I am listening to an old record player stuck .... we are never going to change all we can hope for is keep it tight at the back and hope we can scrap for a nil nil and point in any of remaining games with the outside chance of scoring a breakaway goal and hope that 2 points or 3 will be enough. If we do survive wholesale player changes are needed as many are not up to the standard required

el punal

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17581377.albion-warned-tighten-up-to-stay-up-warns-chris-hughton/

ALBION have been told to tighten up if they want to stay up.

The Seagulls will increase their two-point advantage over 18th-placed Cardiff City, who host Liverpool on Sunday, if they keep just a second away clean sheet of the season at Wolves.

But Chris Hughton admits his low-scoring side have not been defending well enough.

The Albion boss says he cannot see his current squad suddenly becoming a free-scoring outfit.

But he believes they must defend better as a team – starting at Molineux.

Albion, Fulham and Arsenal have each managed just one shut out away from home.

Hughton said: “We haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that.

“What we have been able to do is stay in games, make games close and tight affairs.

“In those games (defeats at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff), we’ve conceded far too many goals, and that’s not down to individuals. It’s down to the team.

“If we’re not going to score the goals, we need to be more resilient.

“Over the last few days, we haven’t been like that.”

Albion have only once conceded less than two goals in their last seven away games – and it brought them a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.

Hughton, whose side are goalless in five games in league and cup, said: “We put in a performance at Palace which allowed us to win the game. We’ll have to do that again.”

I am in the Hughton in camp - but Jesus Christ this man is testing me. Admittedly the defense has been utterly shocking lately - but he continues to miss the key reason we are in the shitter. We aren't scoring goals.

I don't pretend to be a football expert - but unless I am mistaken the way you win a game is to score more goals than the opposition?

All I am reading from this article is 'don't expect change folks - we are going to continue on this depressing sleepwalk to the championship, enjoy.'

The first part of your post sums up the predicament. Had our defence stayed solid over the last few weeks we would have strolled over the finishing line. Boring, yes, but safe. The defence, our strength over our two seasons in the Premier League, has disappeared down the plug hole. We don’t have an attack worthy of the name to possibly make amends (i.e. score more than the opposition), so essentially we’re f***ed. A miracle might be needed now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The football is dire at the moment but some people are looking for any old stick to beat him with. He's absolutely spot on here, our one half decent goal scorer is about 54 years old and the others are utter shite - we are not going to score many goals.

Now he's wondering where those 1-0 wins have gone. It's not unreasonable - we have lost at home 0-1, 1-3, 0-5 and 0-2 to teams with an eye on the relegation places. That points to problems at both ends. One of those problems was always there and he has recognised that, the other one is a recent phenomenon.

That's true but we don't even look like stopping goals.
Exactly what Hughton is saying.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Psychologically though, I’m really not sure it sends out the right message. He’s basically saying he has no faith in us scoring any more goals this season. You can’t defend for 90 minutes and HOPE the ball doesn’t go in your net. That’s not how you fight to stay up, surely?

he's not saying that at all...thats how peeps are choosing to read it based on their own prejudices of CH

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we adopt the attitude of many on here and go for the win we will get torn to shreds by any the five teams that we have to play. Get back to basics and play to our strengths which has been a tight defence

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am in the Hughton in camp - but Jesus Christ this man is testing me. Admittedly the defense has been utterly shocking lately - but he continues to miss the key reason we are in the shitter. We aren't scoring goals.

I don't pretend to be a football expert - but unless I am mistaken the way you win a game is to score more goals than the opposition?

All I am reading from this article is 'don't expect change folks - we are going to continue on this depressing sleepwalk to the championship, enjoy.'

It isn't though imho that our players like Murray or Andone are not capable of scoring, it's Hughtons deep lying defensive 451, where we can't get up the pitch quick enough, or have any real attacking tactics other than, as a former Norwich player said "hope to nick something". It's Hughtons system that is starving service and goals, not the players.

Play a higher line, go 4-4-2 against Newcastle.... But he won't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The football is dire at the moment but some people are looking for any old stick to beat him with. He's absolutely spot on here, our one half decent goal scoring is about 54 years old and the others are utter shite - we are not going to score many goals.

Now he's wondering where those 1-0 wins have gone. It's not unreasonable - we have lost 0-1, 1-3, 0-5 and 0-2 to teams with an eye on the relegation places. That points to problems at both ends. One of those problems was always there and he has recognised that, the other one is a recent phenomenon.

Simster ...as the saying goes ''nailed''!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eh? Saying he can't see us turning into a free-scoring outfit is NOT the same thing as having no faith in us scoring any more goals.

Jesus Christ, I haven't seen that sort of disingenuous nonsense outside of extreme Brexiteer liars like IDS and John Redwood telling every interviewee that the people clearly voted for a no deal Brexit.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It isn't though imho that our players like Murray or Andone are not capable of scoring, it's Hughtons deep lying defensive 451, where we can't get up the pitch quick enough, or have any real attacking tactics other than, as a former Norwich player said "hope to nick something". It's Hughtons system that is starving service and goals, not the players.

We have Wolves and Spurs first though.

A couple of 0-0s would do!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

True dat.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The football is dire at the moment but some people are looking for any old stick to beat him with. He's absolutely spot on here, our one half decent goal scoring is about 54 years old and the others are utter shite - we are not going to score many goals.

Now he's wondering where those 1-0 wins have gone. It's not unreasonable - we have lost 0-1, 1-3, 0-5 and 0-2 to teams with an eye on the relegation places. That points to problems at both ends. One of those problems was always there and he has recognised that, the other one is a recent phenomenon.

Phew, glad it wasn't just me and BensGrandad.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17581377.albion-warned-tighten-up-to-stay-up-warns-chris-hughton/

ALBION have been told to tighten up if they want to stay up.

The Seagulls will increase their two-point advantage over 18th-placed Cardiff City, who host Liverpool on Sunday, if they keep just a second away clean sheet of the season at Wolves.

But Chris Hughton admits his low-scoring side have not been defending well enough.

The Albion boss says he cannot see his current squad suddenly becoming a free-scoring outfit.

But he believes they must defend better as a team – starting at Molineux.

Albion, Fulham and Arsenal have each managed just one shut out away from home.

Hughton said: “We haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that.

“What we have been able to do is stay in games, make games close and tight affairs.

“In those games (defeats at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff), we’ve conceded far too many goals, and that’s not down to individuals. It’s down to the team.

“If we’re not going to score the goals, we need to be more resilient.

“Over the last few days, we haven’t been like that.”

Albion have only once conceded less than two goals in their last seven away games – and it brought them a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.

Hughton, whose side are goalless in five games in league and cup, said: “We put in a performance at Palace which allowed us to win the game. We’ll have to do that again.”

FFS - we're not CREATING ANY CHANCES Chris, let alone scoring goals.

So, I guess we knew already, but we're now looking to get 0-0 draws or nick 1-0 wins in our remaining games and he's told EVERYONE that. This is ****ing depressing. Tempted to chuck my Spurs and Wolves tickets in the bin. Why should I bother if he's not going to ?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Soooo deep. The opposition can hold such a high line and pressure us and contain us, we lack any pace or imagination to catch the opposition out, so they squeeze us up and we turn the ball over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here