Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Will that require the UK to hold EU Parliament elections? When does the new Parliament begin?

Elections have to be by the end of May, the new parliament is seated from July 1.

I can only think she's done this in the knowledge, or based on the assumption, that The EU will turn it down and only offer a longer extension (if at all of course) as outlined by Tusk so she can turn round and say 'Not my fault'.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Elections have to be by the end of May, the new parliament is seated from July 1.

I can only think she's done this in the knowledge, or based on the assumption, that The EU will turn it down and only offer a longer extension (if at all of course) as outlined by Tusk so she can turn round and say 'Not my fault'.

Probably, or hoping no elections will be needed as there will be no need for new MEPs.

Of course if the EU agrees to June 30th and we don't hold MEPs then it is Deal or No Deal.

Either way she is looking hard for a scapegoat.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
True enough, we have fought two World Wars in order to free Europe from tyranny and yet we have decided to turn our backs and walk away ?

Run away in complete disarray with our shoelaces tied together would be nearer the mark.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Probably, or hoping no elections will be needed as there will be no need for new MEPs.

Of course if the EU agrees to June 30th and we don't hold MEPs then it is Deal or No Deal.

Either way she is looking hard for a scapegoat.

She asked for June 30th a couple of weeks back and ended up with April 12/May 22 having had to sit outside on the naughty step while The EU decided it, so I can't seriously believe she thinks she's going to get anything different this time.

A scapegoat for a long extension and holding EU elections as you say and maybe one last go at her WA next Friday?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hard Border for you then ?

You're peddling falsehoods. There will be NO hard border end of. The UK is not going to enforce it, the Irish have said they're not going to enforce it, so do tell who you think is going to build it? I assumed you watched QT last night?the Irish MEP stated they would categorically not build a hard border..... Yesterday Merkel was asked about it and https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/04/angela-merkel-back-action-avoid-hard-border-ireland before any of this happened it was already reported that the EU and Ireland had already made plans for no harder border in case of our leaving on WTO...... This is a complex political issue not simplistic rule based issue, there is no political will on either side to put up a border, both countries who could have stated clearly they won't, it just won't happen ... But do keep pushing this myth of it gives you comfort!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Will that require the UK to hold EU Parliament elections? When does the new Parliament begin?

Technically 30th June wouldn't, as even though elections in may, new parliament wouldn't take legal effect until after June 30th. The problem for the EU is now this bullshit cooper/letwin law looks likely to pass, ruling out no deal, if on June 30th it's not resolved, they're in a bind. Without UK MEPs (election over) they're legal functioning is undermined with UK still in and no MEPs elected. Before cooper/letwin ee should of been forced to either have a deal or leave with none by 30th with no possible further extension (as no MEPs elected) but now our parliament has made no deal illegal on UK law? We'd be caught between need of MEPs and having none and illegal act in UK of no deal....The EU won't accept this chaotic position, besides they want a new vote so it will be long

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Your info graphic, if you look at the raw data (this means numbers not pretty bar charts, difficult I know) was taken from the survey that I linked to. Which you obviously didn't read properly. This, combined with your view that No Deal is a good outcome for The UK, has pegged you as being too thick to bother engaging in conversation with.

And you know what that means.........

View attachment 107110

Know the company that you are now keeping.

That list says far more about your closed mind than anything about those on it. And yes I know, I'm on it so you won't read this !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're peddling falsehoods. There will be NO hard border end of. The UK is not going to enforce it, the Irish have said they're not going to enforce it, so do tell who you think is going to build it? I assumed you watched QT last night?the Irish MEP stated they would categorically not build a hard border..... Yesterday Merkel was asked about it and https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/04/angela-merkel-back-action-avoid-hard-border-ireland before any of this happened it was already reported that the EU and Ireland had already made plans for no harder border in case of our leaving on WTO...... This is a complex political issue not simplistic rule based issue, there is no political will on either side to put up a border, both countries who could have stated clearly they won't, it just won't happen ... But do keep pushing this myth of it gives you comfort!

I'm afraid, my friend, it is you who is peddling falsehoods. If there was a solution, whereby we wouldn't be in the customs union and wouldn't need a hard border, what is it and why would we need 'the backstop' ?

(Your link that you have quoted says Merkel will offer an extension keeping us in the Customs Union to avoid a hard border :facepalm:)

This is about the EU putting pressure on Ireland to put in place processes for a hard border (even threatening to put a border between the EU and Ireland if they don't comply).

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ireland-border/ireland-under-pressure-over-border-plans-for-no-deal-brexit-idUKKCN1Q31VM

here is the European Commission's chief spokesman making it clear that there would have to be a hard border

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46961982

And here is what Angela Merkel did last week

Angela Merkel will travel to Dublin on Thursday to deliver a blunt warning to the Irish government that the time for avoiding the border question is over. In a no-deal scenario, Dublin will be forced to control the entry of goods into the single market from Northern Ireland.

“They’ve done nothing so far,” said a senior EU diplomat. “It can’t continue like this. It doesn’t mean walls on the border but action has to be taken. In the end, you can’t escape reality.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/eu-braces-itself-for-a-wrecking-ball-brexit-as-it-blames-political-meltdown-in-london-c0f098zbz

It is, and has always been very clear, no Customs Union means a Hard Border.

Maybe you are not peddling falsehoods, maybe you have just been completely mistaken for the last 3 years :shrug:

So the choice is the same as it has always been, Customs Union or Hard Border ?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Same old Tories, always cheating.

[tweet]1113559209352867840[/tweet]

Yes, I have posted a tweet, so that you can see the source of that information. I make no apologies.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It’s more the Little Scotlanders isn’t it that will end the Union? About time though, the UK is fractured and out dated. All over the world and Europe especially larger states have devolved into more smaller, more ethnically concentrated countries so why not here? It may even help England forge a new identity, independent from Celtic belligerence and their romantic quest for ‘freedom’.

The reverse is true, all over the world smaller autonomous regions have become part of larger countries. But it's the term more ethnically concentrated that is bothering me more. How would you describe your ethnicity?

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
I agree that the EU have approached every aspect of this like a mature, responsible group of experienced politicians.

But to be honest, it hasn't exactly been challenging for them. The vast majority of the time they have spent as bemused bystanders while this whole sorry farce has winded it's way to it's expected and totally predictable conclusion. That there are only two implementable options and neither of them include unicorns galloping freely over rolling green pastures :shrug:

So summing up then after MP`s agreed to carry out the result of the Referendum ,the Remain MP`s which is mostly Remain on the Labour side have been trying to overturn the result causing chaos which is nothing to do with the voters all we can do is watch . We expect the MP`s to abide by the result why have a referendum in the first place its very odd .?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That list says far more about your closed mind than anything about those on it. And yes I know, I'm on it so you won't read this !

We've had a few 'gates' on the NSC Brexit thread over the last 3 years, but the fallout from 'Ignorelistgate' is probably top of the tree and rumbles on-and-on - and it just got even better:

Having looked at that list again just now I notice one particular user name, who I can only assume is on it for football related posts as I can't recall him ever engaging in Brexit related discussion, and realised that I personally know him and will be seeing him and drinking with him from noon tomorrow prior to us all going to the game. :lolol:

(For what it's worth he voted leave too :lolol: )

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm afraid, my friend, it is you who is peddling falsehoods. If there was a solution, whereby we wouldn't be in the customs union and wouldn't need a hard border, what is it and why would we need 'the backstop' ?

(Your link that you have quoted says Merkel will offer an extension keeping us in the Customs Union to avoid a hard border :facepalm:)

This is about the EU putting pressure on Ireland to put in place processes for a hard border (even threatening to put a border between the EU and Ireland if they don't comply).

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ireland-border/ireland-under-pressure-over-border-plans-for-no-deal-brexit-idUKKCN1Q31VM

here is the European Commission's chief spokesman making it clear that there would have to be a hard border

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46961982

And here is what Angela Merkel did last week

Angela Merkel will travel to Dublin on Thursday to deliver a blunt warning to the Irish government that the time for avoiding the border question is over. In a no-deal scenario, Dublin will be forced to control the entry of goods into the single market from Northern Ireland.

“They’ve done nothing so far,” said a senior EU diplomat. “It can’t continue like this. It doesn’t mean walls on the border but action has to be taken. In the end, you can’t escape reality.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/eu-braces-itself-for-a-wrecking-ball-brexit-as-it-blames-political-meltdown-in-london-c0f098zbz

It is, and has always been very clear, no Customs Union means a Hard Border.

Maybe you are not peddling falsehoods, maybe you have just been completely mistaken for the last 3 years :shrug:

So the choice is the same as it has always been, Customs Union or Hard Border ?

Bloody hell, you still peddling your "know all" know nothing crap on here. .

You might want to get off this forum, and put head out into the real world for 5 minutes. You are about as clueless as your average MP when it comes to Brexit.

How many of your 10,000 posts have been in this thread. I bet it would easy to work out how many of them had your opinion in them, (ZERO) and not some obscure link to try and prove your point, which everyone apart from you is probably still trying to work out what it is.

You going to the Semi tomorrow, or are you going to spend another day on here with a semi, in case someone needs some links posting!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Really!? Some very privilaged people here then.

Do you live under a rock ? Go and look at the recruitment pages of Legal and General, Amex and One Family - plenty of £75k plus jobs in this city alone. That salary makes you comfortable not privilaged.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bloody hell, you still peddling your "know all" know nothing crap on here. .

You might want to get off this forum, and put head out into the real world for 5 minutes. You are about as clueless as your average MP when it comes to Brexit.

How many of your 10,000 posts have been in this thread. I bet it would easy to work out how many of them had your opinion in them, (ZERO) and not some obscure link to try and prove your point, which everyone apart from you is probably still trying to work out what it is.

You going to the Semi tomorrow, or are you going to spend another day on here with a semi, in case someone needs some links posting!

So nothing to add, and no response to any of the points I've made.

Yes I am going to the Semi tomorrow thank you very much for asking :)

(And maybe you should get some sunshine and relax. You sound like you are getting a little wound up).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think that's it for me now. Theresa, nice try, but you clearly haven't got a clue what you're doing now.

Time to walk away and let someone else have a go who has some balls, a plan, and is believes in Brexit, which you clearly never have.

Cheerio.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So summing up then after MP`s agreed to carry out the result of the Referendum ,the Remain MP`s which is mostly Remain on the Labour side have been trying to overturn the result causing chaos which is nothing to do with the voters all we can do is watch . We expect the MP`s to abide by the result why have a referendum in the first place its very odd .?

Because they were certain they would win and we would all vote remain, and that would be the end of it.

But it backfired.

Even though over 500 voted to allow the referendem, and around the same to triggar Article 50, they have suddenly decided it is against there interests to leave.

Remember according to remain, we are meant to be in a deep recession right now, with hundreds of thousands of extra people out of work. In reality that couldn't be further from the truth,yet the remainers still try and cling to the BS that there would be carnage if we left without a deal.... for the EU most definitly, but for the UK, it would most likely be a bump in the road, that we would get over very quickly. Off course you will get the usual remain crew along to say I am talking rubbish, yet so far nothing the remain side as warn us about happening, has happened.

If the result is overturned, or there is another referendum, expect to see civil un-rest in this country, the likes most of us have never seen in our lifetime.

IMO the bottom line is, more damage has already been done by the mess MPs and that ****wit May has made of Brexit, then leaving without a deal would ever have done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here