Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone got any suggestions about how to get help for someone who’s suicidal?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
That’s what I’m planning, as long as I’m there in time. I also don’t know if paramedics have the right to force entry if needed. I don’t even know under what circumstances the police can...

Me neither bud, all the best .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really sorry to be reading this, I sincerely hope everything works out OK

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Recent experience... if someone has tried to take their own life (use of the term commit is not acceptable anymore, stems from when was an offence) but survives, they will be offered help but can refuse and must self fund too. Only if you’ve unsuccessfully tried to take your own life more than once are you ‘forced’ to get help, funded by authorities. I know this sounds daft. But it’s true. Up there with ducking stool logic if you ask me, but I’m just a pleb.

Sincere condolences to the OP and hope your surviving friend receives the necessary help and support to make sense of this tragedy without further loss of life. Very much is down to family and friends I’m afraid in the aftermath, she’s fortunate to have you in that respect. Good luck. Many including me will be thinking of you.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Thanks all. 999 & Samaritans called. I’m going to try to be with her tonight, but I’m told she isn’t letting anyone into the property atm.

maybe she will speak to you from outside on your 'phone?

Really hope you get some help to her, very best wishes
So sorry to hear about your friend

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would've thought if someone is seriously threatening to take their own life, the Police and Paramedics will have every right to break in.
I really hope the poor woman can get help straight away...its a horrendous situation - and I wish all the family and friends sincere condolences too.

This has shaken me quite a bit - I know no-one on here personally, but feel like we are all affected by hearing this news from a fellow Seagull. Please keep us updated. :(

Paramedics can forceably take someone to hospital if they believe their life is otherwise in danger. Sure Police will have same authority. It’ll all be covered by subjective wording.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As others have said definitely a need for 999 and if required a temporary section under the mental health act to get her the care she very much needs and deserves at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thoughts and condolences with you, goldstone1976.

What an awful situation that has developed. I hope she gets the love and support offered to her by trained mental health workers. The police have a duty to force their way in if she's threatening to take her own life as I understand it.

I'm very sorry for the sad circumstances you find yourself in mate. Stay strong.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
That’s what I’m planning, as long as I’m there in time. I also don’t know if paramedics have the right to force entry if needed. I don’t even know under what circumstances the police can...

Really sorry to hear all this, have had similiar fears with a close family member recently.
As @]Weststander said, the mental health rapid response service is the way to go, as they have absolute authority to force entry.

Best of luck mate

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There aren't any other resources I can recommend that others havent, but I would applaud you for having the will and desire to help. Whilst it seems the natural and decent thing to do, it isn't always forthcoming.

I hope everything comes to a positive conclusion and again, applaud your actions.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Really sorry I can't help, but good luck and hoping for the best for your friend.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gosh, this is awful. No practical advice I’m afraid, just best wishes to you and your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
BEWARE !!! of strangers.

Try the Family Doctor as first port of call.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
BEWARE !!! of strangers.

I've had some of the best advice from strangers online regarding my own mental health than I have close friends.

I'm sure you meant it with good intentions, but: Get ****ed, Perseus.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
She opened the door about an hour after I got there. The paramedics spent some time with her and then a doctor sedated her. I stayed the night with her and am staying until Sunday afternoon, when her mum and sister arrive from Oz. She’s sleeping at the moment and, honestly, I think that’s the best thing for her right now. I have telephone numbers for various healthcare professionals to call if she starts going off the rails when she wakes up.

Thank you to all who responded positively on this thread &/or by PM. NSC can be a truly wonderful place when it’s really needed. :smile:

if someone has tried to take their own life (use of the term commit is not acceptable anymore, stems from when was an offence)

I wasn’t aware of this change in terminology, but can absolutely see the point; thanks. Thanks too for the rest of the post...

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
She opened the door about an hour after I got there. The paramedics spent some time with her and then a doctor sedated her. I stayed the night with her and am staying until Sunday afternoon, when her mum and sister arrive from Oz. She’s sleeping at the moment and, honestly, I think that’s the best thing for her right now. I have telephone numbers for various healthcare professionals to call if she starts going off the rails when she wakes up.

Thank you to all who responded positively on this thread &/or by PM. NSC can be a truly wonderful place when it’s really needed. :smile:

I wasn’t aware of this change in terminology, but can absolutely see the point; thanks. Thanks too for the rest of the post...

That's good to hear. At least she's getting some help now. It must be awful for her. She has a very good friend in you. Make sure that you take care of yourself too. All the best and I hope this has a happy ending.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
So sad to read this thread, I hope she receives all the necessary help and support to try and help her get through this awful experience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here