Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sadly I missed the Arsenal game because of work commitments so didn't witness what I am assured was Locadia's man-of-the-match performance, but I saw the Everton game. I thought Locadia was okay but nothing more. I'm glad he scored, and pleased that he's giving the club some return on its investment, but I've yet to see what other are clearly (wishing to) see.

We were told when he arrived that he has pace, but I've never seen it and he certainly doesn't go past players the way Izquierdo can. At Bournemouth, he covered back as an afterthought or not at all, although he did better against Everton. Both his goals were opportunistic rather than anything he created himself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him and for us that he's beginning to look like a player, although I wouldn't go further than that. I just think our collective relief at the fact that he now doesn't look like a complete waste of TB's money is causing one or two people to mistake him for Gareth Bale.

I think it's partly that relief he is starting to show something. I think it's also partly some fans don't like it when fellow fans criticise the team, and a fine performance gave them a chance to shove that humble pie in people's faces.

I think there is also an element that either social media, or the sky sports effect has led to a lack of scale in the use of superlatives. It seems these days 'amazing' and 'superb' are interchangeable with 'good', a 'very good' is a 'worldy'.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think it's partly that relief he is starting to show something. I think it's also partly some fans don't like it when fellow fans criticise the team, and a fine performance gave them a chance to shove that humble pie in people's faces.

I think there is also an element that either social media, or the sky sports effect has led to a lack of scale in the use of superlatives. It seems these days 'amazing' and 'superb' are interchangeable with 'good', a 'very good' is a 'worldy'.

Perhaps Jurgen deserved the criticism for his previous performances but equally now deserves praise for the last two games. There do seem to be a number of posters on this thread struggling to admit they wrote him off too soon. I will happily confess to thinking/saying he was a complete waste of money and I was wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps Jurgen deserved the criticism for his previous performances but equally now deserves praise for the last two games. There do seem to be a number of posters on this thread struggling to admit they wrote him off too soon. I will happily confess to thinking/saying he was a complete waste of money and I was wrong.

Player got the criticism he deserved. Now he's getting the praise he deserves. Same as any player, based on their performances and effectiveness over a given time span. What gives?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Player got the criticism he deserved ...........based on their performances and effectiveness over a given time span. What gives?

What time span do you give a player to prove himself to you? I think it’s unfair to go overboard on criticism for a player when he has not had a fair crack of the whip. He has had to cope with a new club, a new country, a new house, new teammates, a new formation and also playing a position that is clearly not his preferred one. You judged him on 300 odd minutes of football did you? Are you defending the imbeciles who called for him to be sold or loaned out in January and were bracketing him with Kemy & Elvis?

Locadia has now been given a formation he is comfortable with along with three back to back starts and it’s really no surprise (looking at the record of our recruitment team and his reported transfer fee) that he is performing.

Now that he is settled, I’m expecting more of the same.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What time span do you give a player to prove himself to you? I think it’s unfair to go overboard on criticism for a player when he has not had a fair crack of the whip. He has had to cope with a new club, a new country, a new house, new teammates, a new formation and also playing a position that is clearly not his preferred one. You judged him on 300 odd minutes of football did you? Are you defending the imbeciles who called for him to be sold or loaned out in January and were bracketing him with Kemy & Elvis?

Locadia has now been given a formation he is comfortable with along with three back to back starts and it’s really no surprise (looking at the record of our recruitment team and his reported transfer fee) that he is performing.

Now that he is settled, I’m expecting more of the same.

He's had to cope with a new house you say? Why weren't we told of this earlier?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He's had to cope with a new house you say? Why weren't we told of this earlier?

Did I not also mention the stresses and pressures of being a top musician whilst trying to settle at a new football club? These records don’t record themselves you know (well not quite).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Player got the criticism he deserved. Now he's getting the praise he deserves. Same as any player, based on their performances and effectiveness over a given time span. What gives?

I'm not entirely sure he deserved to have choosen profession openly laughed at.
Or the abuse he'd get at 14:01.

As said before I'm sure I wouldn't have been TeamJurg we're it not for the pathetic comments on here.
If they were wound down to say 7 instead of going all the way up to 11, chances are I would have joined in.

#NotEvenAFootballer.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Agreed. Rewatched some highlights, his passing/laying off really is excellent too - much more intelligent footballer than Knocky or Jose I think.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

With Murray not starting, and Andone not the tallest he became a bit of a wide target man. Someone Button could aim his kicks towards and someone we could play off. His ability to shield the ball and as you say lay it off and then make a positive run was really good. I think that's a big plus in being able to start and get the best from Andone but also gives us something a bit different. If paired with Murray it would give us a couple of players who can help us keep the ball higher up the pitch.

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Jurgen Locadia has endured dogs' abuse by some football 'consumers' who expect instant gratification and forget their venom is being aimed at a sentient fellow human being. Credit to him for demonstrating to the management that he had the skill and backbone needed to start a match. He was fighting for his place in spite of the chorus of negativity and I am sure this contributed to earlier under performance.
I could never understand the motives of any one on here screaming for him to be discarded or sold for whatever we can get for him; it just made matters worse.
If I could be bothered, I would check to see if it was the same posters who claimed after pre season friendlies and a couple of matches that Matty Ryan should be ditched. I'll bet it was though......

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
With Murray not starting, and Andone not the tallest he became a bit of a wide target man. Someone Button could aim his kicks towards and someone we could play off. His ability to shield the ball and as you say lay it off and then make a positive run was really good. I think that's a big plus in being able to start and get the best from Andone but also gives us something a bit different. If paired with Murray it would give us a couple of players who can help us keep the ball higher up the pitch.

Heading is not his strong point.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm getting a bit sick of all the 'told you so' posts about Locadia. No, most of you didn't tell us so.

When we break a club record to buy a player, it is quite reasonable to expect them to make an impact, sooner rather than later. Locadia didn't get handed many chances it is true, but those chances he got, no-one could justifiably claim he grabbed with both hands; "There may be a footballer in there somewhere, but.............." was a not unreasonable summary of his early appearances. Now - at last - he's finally shown us a bit of what he's capable of, and it looks good. Great. Brilliant! I'm delighted! Long may it continue, and may he carry on scoring lots of goals and become a club goal scoring legend over the next 2-3-4 seasons.

But ................................................. had it not been for the last couple of games, I'd still be thinking that a loan move in January might be the best thing for him to try and get his mojo back, and that maybe we'd have to take a loss on moving him on, and OK, the recruitment team is brilliant but even they might get it wrong occasionally. And I make no apology to anyone for that, and nor do I concede the moral high ground or superiority to those who are now clamouring to say, no, never had any doubts. Never? Yeh, right!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
He doesn't look like he has pace because of his running style but he actually has. He drifts past people, he's not the speed merchant style like Jose but i reckon he isn't too much slower. He's much stronger and his passing is great, that back heel when defending in the second half was superb.
The pace he showed against Arsenal to win the ball before the defender and ease round the keeper was imo very quick.

Spot on

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jurgen Locadia has endured dogs' abuse by some football 'consumers' who expect instant gratification and forget their venom is being aimed at a sentient fellow human being. Credit to him for demonstrating to the management that he had the skill and backbone needed to start a match. He was fighting for his place in spite of the chorus of negativity and I am sure this contributed to earlier under performance.
I could never understand the motives of any one on here screaming for him to be discarded or sold for whatever we can get for him; it just made matters worse.
If I could be bothered, I would check to see if it was the same posters who claimed after pre season friendlies and a couple of matches that Matty Ryan should be ditched. I'll bet it was though......

When did he ever get dogs abuse!? :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm getting a bit sick of all the 'told you so' posts about Locadia. No, most of you didn't tell us so.

When we break a club record to buy a player, it is quite reasonable to expect them to make an impact, sooner rather than later. Locadia didn't get handed many chances it is true, but those chances he got, no-one could justifiably claim he grabbed with both hands; "There may be a footballer in there somewhere, but.............." was a not unreasonable summary of his early appearances. Now - at last - he's finally shown us a bit of what he's capable of, and it looks good. Great. Brilliant! I'm delighted! Long may it continue, and may he carry on scoring lots of goals and become a club goal scoring legend over the next 2-3-4 seasons.

But ................................................. had it not been for the last couple of games, I'd still be thinking that a loan move in January might be the best thing for him to try and get his mojo back, and that maybe we'd have to take a loss on moving him on, and OK, the recruitment team is brilliant but even they might get it wrong occasionally. And I make no apology to anyone for that, and nor do I concede the moral high ground or superiority to those who are now clamouring to say, no, never had any doubts. Never? Yeh, right!

Who yanked your chain!? :D:moo:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

There was no dogs abuse, no venom, no chorus of negativity. It was merely observations that he looked totally and utterly useless. In fact think he was given more support and backing here than anywhere else where a new signing bombs. He really looked very very far from being any sort of a footballer prior to the Bournemouth game. The only thing that some people had faith in was that he cost £14m and the recruitment team had recently been doing a good job - that is all.

He's had three really good games. That's great and I reckon he will kick on now (certainly hope so) but that doesn't mean he was unfairly treated previously. He was just playing badly. Really really badly.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He doesn't look like he has pace because of his running style but he actually has. He drifts past people, he's not the speed merchant style like Jose but i reckon he isn't too much slower. He's much stronger and his passing is great, that back heel when defending in the second half was superb.
The pace he showed against Arsenal to win the ball before the defender and ease round the keeper was imo very quick.

I must remember that next time Jack Straw has a go at me on Sunday morning for being slow. I'm actually fast but my running style makes me look slow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sadly I missed the Arsenal game because of work commitments so didn't witness what I am assured was Locadia's man-of-the-match performance, but I saw the Everton game. I thought Locadia was okay but nothing more. I'm glad he scored, and pleased that he's giving the club some return on its investment, but I've yet to see what other are clearly (wishing to) see.
He was better than ok against Everton. I'm not claiming he was MOTM, but he was decent, and scored. Again. Against Arsenal he was MOTM. You didn't see it, so no, of course you are yet to see what others have seen. Adding 'wishing to' is just a bit silly.

We were told when he arrived that he has pace, but I've never seen it and he certainly doesn't go past players the way Izquierdo can.
Agreed, Izzy is faster and when he's on form he's a fantastic outlet when we're under pressure.

Both his goals were opportunistic rather than anything he created himself.
Like many a good goal scorer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here