Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
How does the scanning thing work? Do you just sort of wave your barcode around in the air or do you have to queue up at a barcode reader at the beginning and end? Would queueing affect your PB?

Two people are at the finish line with timing devices that they press each time someone crosses the line so from that position 1 = 17:42, position 2 = 17:51 etc is stored on the devices, then you get a position barcode at the end of the funnel (you stay in finishing order) and you go to one of about 3 or 4 other volunteers who scan your personal bar code card and then the position barcode (which you then return for next week's run) and they plug all the devices into a PC which uploads the results onto the ParkRun website. All very clever.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I did my last one a year ago so I really need to go again.

From what I remember everyone has the same start time (ie when the race starts), however as you finish someone will see you cross the line and produce a ticket. They hand that to you and you then walk to another person who scans your personal barcode and your finish time ticket.

I may have remembered that completely incorrectly.

Cheers :thumbsup: Reason I asked is that I was starting to build up to the Park Run at the start of the summer. Was doing not bad til I got zapped by gout in three limbs one after the other. Complete pain in the arse, not to mention the right foot, the left foot, the left hand...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Two people are at the finish line with timing devices that they press each time someone crosses the line so from that position 1 = 17:42, position 2 = 17:51 etc is stored on the devices, then you get a position barcode at the end of the funnel (you stay in finishing order) and you go to one of about 3 or 4 other volunteers who scan your personal bar code card and then the position barcode (which you then return for next week's run) and they plug all the devices into a PC which uploads the results onto the ParkRun website. All very clever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What is ParkRun, is it as simple as it sounds, you turn up and all abilities run around a course?

As explained above....very simple, and very inclusive - you'll see everything from elite athletes to kids, people pushing buggies and 90 year olds at most parkruns with times ranging from sub-15 mins to up to an hour (Hove Prom has a 'walking pacer' for those wanting to walk rather than run for example). The timing thing works fantastically well - always within a few seconds of 'actual' time. It's worth getting plastic 'key ring' barcodes if you're going to do it regularly - they're only a few quid for 3 and ordered online. Your official time is texted/emailed to you a couple of hours after finishing. If you're local, several NSC runners are regulars at Hove Park, Hove Prom and others.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's pretty much it, but also you register and get a barcode and when you cross the line your time is recorded, you get a position number tag which you have scanned along with your barcode and a couple of hours later you get your time. You get free running shirts when you've run 50, 100 and 250 parkruns and a lot of people stay for coffee and a chat afterwards at Andy Rollings cafe in PP. The events are run by volunteers and it's a non-profit organisation funded by sponsors. A fantastic initiative and I try to run the local parkrun when I'm away - I did the Monsal trail in the peak district recently. Times range from 15 minutes to 50 minutes and everyone is encourage by everyone else. There are getting on for 500 each Saturday at Preston Park. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/prestonpark/results/latestresults/ There are 3 or 4 in Brighton and quite a few elsewhere.

Ah, that sounds great. I'm over Arundel way and there's one in Chichester and another in Bognor. Do you know the age limit, as my lads may like to take part.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As explained above....very simple, and very inclusive - you'll see everything from elite athletes to kids, people pushing buggies and 90 year olds at most parkruns with times ranging from sub-15 mins to up to an hour (Hove Prom has a 'walking pacer' for those wanting to walk rather than run for example). The timing thing works fantastically well - always within a few seconds of 'actual' time. It's worth getting plastic 'key ring' barcodes if you're going to do it regularly - they're only a few quid for 3 and ordered online. Your official time is texted/emailed to you a couple of hours after finishing. If you're local, several NSC runners are regulars at Hove Park, Hove Prom and others.

Thank you, this sounds very relaxed and low-key, I was imagining people looking down at Mr Potato head trying to run 5k in under 45 mins!

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Ah, that sounds great. I'm over Arundel way and there's one in Chichester and another in Bognor. Do you know the age limit, as my lads may like to take part.

No age limit but if they are under 11s (I think) need to have their responsible adult within touching distance at all times on the run. Ditto dogs who have to be on a short lead :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thank you, this sounds very relaxed and low-key, I was imagining people looking down at Mr Potato head trying to run 5k in under 45 mins!

Nah, nothing could be further from the truth. Absolutely nothing but encouragement and support for everyone at a parkrun, whatever your pace. It's a brilliant thing. Participation is amazing - on a typical Saturday the numbers are Hove Park 500-600, Hove Prom 300-350, Preston Park 300-350 or thereabouts, then add in Worthing, Bevendean, Haywards Heath, Tilgate etc etc (and now Lancing). You can see the times run on the results pages for each event on the website - Hove Prom last week 349 runners, fastest in 15:10, final runner 58:57

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/hovepromenade/results/latestresults/

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

Let us know on the running thread when you're planning to turn up for one if local - bound to be someone there to say hello.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Always tried to work out how shops like that survive? Great shop BTW but must be limited opportunities?

Yeah I was just a part-time guy when I was 17 or so but it always seemed like it just ticked along. Did well enough to open a shop in Arundel and another in Chichester at least.

Easily the best job I've ever had.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Don't worry too much about the type of exercise you do but do something! Run, ride, swim, walk, HITT, LISS, cross, they will all work! If you have been sat on your arse for months, any type of exercise is good exercise. But at our age we must warm up to avoid injury! Look at dynamic stretches and do them before you start! 5-10 minutes should keep you on course before you train! And get yourself a foam roller, they are a god send!!
As for diets, try and avoid the fad diets, just eat a bit healthier! Do a food diary for a week, you'll be amazed just how much rubbish is in our diets!! Work out roughly the calories you have been eating daily, you might be shocked just how many!
Like many have said, it's a simple calories in, calories out equation!!
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Parkrun is great, thoroughly recommended, plenty of local courses like Preston Park, Hove Park, Hove Prom, Bevendean Down, Lancing Beach Green, Worthing, Peacehaven among others...

I've got gammy knees and shouldn't really be running but limit it to one 5k Parkrun a week now, rest of the week is non impact stuff like cycling, gym etc...

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Changed my life! Completed the 5k app and actually ended up doing it everyday. Did the same with the 10k.

Decided not to opt for the £13.99 3rd app but after 4 months I’m running everyday day still and do on average 10-15k a day.

Lost 3 stone

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nah, nothing could be further from the truth. Absolutely nothing but encouragement and support for everyone at a parkrun, whatever your pace. It's a brilliant thing. Participation is amazing - on a typical Saturday the numbers are Hove Park 500-600, Hove Prom 300-350, Preston Park 300-350 or thereabouts, then add in Worthing, Bevendean, Haywards Heath, Tilgate etc etc (and now Lancing). You can see the times run on the results pages for each event on the website - Hove Prom last week 349 runners, fastest in 15:10, final runner 58:57

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/hovepromenade/results/latestresults/

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

Let us know on the running thread when you're planning to turn up for one if local - bound to be someone there to say hello.

That's be great, will do :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Changed my life! Completed the 5k app and actually ended up doing it everyday. Did the same with the 10k.

Decided not to opt for the £13.99 3rd app but after 4 months I’m running everyday day still and do on average 10-15k a day.

Lost 3 stone

Congratulations! You're all right, it's just looking at what you eating and changing habits! I've started running the line at my lads footie matches, 8,000 steps and still see the boys playing!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Builds way too slow.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

I think that's the point, it's about a slow but consistent build up and before you know it you can go off and do a 5k run with a bit of muscle strengthening and conditioning behind you. At late fifties this is very important so you don't get an injury and lose interest.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I started running way before 'Couch to 5k' was even a thing, but I probably did something similar to you. Just kept going for runs that added a bit more distance each time. Started in July and by the next April I'd run the London Marathon.

With swimming, it was a similar thing. In April this year, I couldn't swim crawl for toffee – breathing was all over the shop and technique non-existent. Since then I got a few tips off some people, got in the pool and in the sea and on Sunday I swam 2.4 miles in 1hr 27mins as part of Ironman Wales.

There are two big factors to achieve your goals: 1) you've got to really WANT to do it and 2) you've got to do the training. I guess a third thing is you've got to believe you can do it, but that's only really when you get into mental endurance stuff that goes on for hours and hours. And hours :lol:

Good luck.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Builds way too slow.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

....for some people...........nothing to stop people moving on faster if they're finding it too easy, but better to start cautious rather than over-reach and either get injured or lose interest. It's very deliberately cautious.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here