Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are the shackles off or is this a false dawn

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Am I wrong?

There's been some real pace injected with the introduction of Trossard, a real gem. Maupay will more than, er, maupay his way. Dan Burn's been something of a gawky revelation. And AJ and Big Jurg appear to be rightly sidelined. So no, I don't believe it's a false dawn. But neither do I believe in that shackles guff.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Am I wrong?

Shackled could be the wrong word.

Different tactics based on necessity would be my description of what went on last season.

CH was given the aim of survival and he achieved this twice. I’d play two defensive midfielders and rely on Murray scoring one of the three chances he had per match too if I’d have had that target. The two Palace matches were supreme examples of how good we were when things went right. Sadly, the rest of the division seemed to have worked our tactics out and things mostly went wrong. We regularly created next to no chances per match.

Potter has to finish top 10. A different ball game one might say.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Different tactics based on necessity would be my description of what went on last season.

CH was given the aim of survival and he achieved this twice. I’d play two defensive midfielders and rely on Murray scoring one of the three chances he had per match too if I’d have had that target. The two Palace matches were supreme examples of how good we were when things went right. Sadly, the rest of the division seemed to have worked our tactics out and things mostly went wrong. We regularly created next to no chances per match.

I'm not sure anyone is insisting Potter leads is to a top ten finish. Survival but with more entertainment would do for most.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You just have to look at Davy Pröpper, he now looks every bit the classy Dutch international that we hoped he was. He’s playing with his head up FACING the the opposition rather than head down looking backwards. He’s integral to all that we do and I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t bag 5 or 6 goals this season.
I’ll also give a huge nod to Dale Stephens too, he looks every bit the box to box midfielder that performed so well with Kayal in the Championship.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm not sure anyone is insisting Potter leads is to a top ten finish. Survival but with more entertainment would do for most.

This. I'm not greedy.

It's like watching a different team now, and it's actually enjoyable. Yes, we'll get thumped a few times, yes we'll have a poor run of form - but if we stay up and play this kind of football, my Season Ticket money is bloody well spent. :albion2:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
If we play like this all season, home and away, win a few, draw a few, lose a few....and finish 17th... I will be THRILLED.

If we play like this all season we will finish a lot higher than 17th. Which I believe we will anyway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

agreed....shackled is the fashionable word now though

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That’s debatable for starters

Care to name games we took the game to the opposition that ended well? Players didn’t have a clue how to play attacking football and ended up getting beaten is my memory. Defend defend defend was very firmly engrained in the players’ minds.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Am I wrong?

We'll never know, unless we were in the dressing room (and I assume no-one on here was). Did he actually brief them, "Right lads, get out there and huddle round the penalty area and six yard box like frightened sheep encircled by a pack of ravening wolves" or did he say, "Keep you shape, but FFS try defending a little further upfield and move forward faster to support attacks when we have the ball in their half"?
The fact that they did huddle round the six yard box like frightened sheep may not have actually been what they were briefed to do.

Anyway, this thread was obviously set up to gratify those who want a bit more CH bashing, who would like us to believe they were calling 'Hughton out' on here long before Uncle Tony got his long knife out, so just for balance (and not for personal conviction - I personally think Potter is doing a good job, and hope he continues to do so) I'll give you three words:

New. Manager. Bounce.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The main question now, is will we put away enough chances & do we have the players to do it? We were really good yesterday but ultimately, didn’t put away our chances but we did at Watford! Time will tell!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There was much close season talk of Potter taking the shackles off a side who looked scared of their own shadows by the end of last season. It looks like a team that “weren’t good enough to compete without defending in depth” comments from so many CH diehards are being proved very wrong....so far

Anyone still think that the players aren’t good enough and the recruitment team are shit?

Oh and THPP do you STILL think talk of shackles off is still bullshit?

I didn’t join on the bandwagon over criticising the recruitment team (re last summer)...but nor do I think they are infallible...but if you look at the starting team yesterday ..the two players who’ve taken most flak weren’t either in the starting lineup or in the match day squad.

Re the change in performance...no one in their right mind can argue that we aren’t looking a better side ...will this translate into better results than last season...so far it’s a win when we lost last season and a draw when we won.....let’s see how we react after a run of defeats ...and the strength of the squad is truly tested....having said all that I can’t remember the last home game when we created so many chances...probably you’d have to go back to the championship

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
There's been some real pace injected with the introduction of Trossard, a real gem. Maupay will more than, er, maupay his way. Dan Burn's been something of a gawky revelation. And AJ and Big Jurg appear to be rightly sidelined. So no, I don't believe it's a false dawn. But neither do I believe in that shackles guff.

We played the same style with none of the new pacey players on the pitch v Watford. It is not about individual players, it is about STYLE.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Wait, so you believe Hughton played the way he did because our aim was to avoid relegation, where as Potter’s setting the team up this way because Bloom wants to finish top 10? Hughton did brilliantly up to last season to get us to where we were, but in no way did he have the ability to get the team to play like we have in the first two games this year.

The exciting thing about the way we have started is that it looks fairly obvious the players haven’t fully adapted to Potter’s tactics. Only slight worry for me is if a team sits behind the ball rather than pressing, I feel we may struggle to break these teams down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All I will say is we were a joy to watch and I felt we could score from every forward move we made. Hugely entertaining game and the reason I go to watch football. If we play like this regularly we will have a fine season and be safe. What if we improve?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

‘Has’ is too strong a word maybe.

I’d be happy with 16th or 17th with this style of football but I don’t own the club or set the targets. Tony has said we’re aiming for top ten. Potter seems like the sort of character who’d be up for that challenge!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here