Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we do sign Webster, and Dan Burn plays well against against Valencia tonight...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why's that, so we'll have a strong team if we get relegated?

Nope. I would rather take a punt on an exceptional player in the championship than from Holland or Belgium for example.
Of course you can still get good value from those countries, but players from the championship for example are already battle hardened as it were.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Think he played well at Brum,so it's a vote for Dan here,Think he needs at least another half to confirm what a good player he is against better opposition.I don't think he's in Potter's plans though,as they didn't have him in the wall,odd for our tallest player.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
As people know I wasnt impressed with Burn against BRUM I thought that he was our weak link so for me if Webster signs he plays on the right with Dunk on the left and Duffy in the centre as a back 3 or with Bernado at left back in a four.

Webster is a left sided defender, so I'd expect him to be on the left.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
As people know I wasnt impressed with Burn against BRUM I thought that he was our weak link so for me if Webster signs he plays on the right with Dunk on the left and Duffy in the centre as a back 3 or with Bernado at left back in a four.

Dunk in the middle of the three for me, as at Birmingham. Central one of the three gets us building from the back, so needs to be the player most comfortable on the ball. See David Luiz at Chelsea when Conte played 3 at the back, his distribution was vital

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Dunk in the middle of the three for me, as at Birmingham. Central one of the three gets us building from the back, so needs to be the player most comfortable on the ball. See David Luiz at Chelsea when Conte played 3 at the back, his distribution was vital

Webster is potentially better on the ball than Dunk by the look of things.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Webster is potentially better on the ball than Dunk by the look of things.

I hate coparing with players from the past but...... I'm going to anyway :lol:...... The way he brought the ball out of defence in the video that was posted, dribbling past opponents, decent pace over a short distance to get past his man reminded me of Mark Lawrenson. If he turns out anything like Lawro he'll be a bargain.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I hate coparing with players from the past but...... I'm going to anyway :lol:...... The way he brought the ball out of defence in the video that was posted, dribbling past opponents, decent pace over a short distance to get past his man reminded me of Mark Lawrenson. If he turns out anything like Lawro he'll be a bargain.

"You're not wrong, Gary".

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
...should he keep the shirt for the Watford game (and beyond) ?

I thought Burn did very well against Birmingham, and looked comfortable defending in wide spaces. Do the good folk of NSC think Potter will bring Webster in quickly, or wait and see how Burn starts the season? £22 million is an awful lot for a centre back sat on the bench...

Not going to pay 20 million quid for someone not to play.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm just a little concerned about spending so much on a centreback who has no premier league experience. There must be others available for half this amount who can perform at a higher level but £20m+ for a defender is crazy money

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Burn has had a full pre-season understanding and learning GPotts methods and expectations on organisation and shape (and understanding of his fellow defenders and GK). If Burn plays well tonight I'd be inclined to play him next week and if he continues to play well he should keep his shirt but I'd expect as Webby to start being eased in.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
"You're not wrong, Gary".

Before posting this, I quickly Googled to check whether Lawro actually did say this. I saw it posted somewhere else on another forum so took that as proof.

Only on going back to close the other tab did I notice that it had been posted over 11 years ago by, errr, me...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'm just a little concerned about spending so much on a centreback who has no premier league experience. There must be others available for half this amount who can perform at a higher level but £20m+ for a defender is crazy money

Don't worry, if he signs by the weekend he will be available for a loan deal before the window closes

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
As far as I can see nobody has yet suggested that maybe Duffy is the one under threat. Most of us at some point have commented that he's less comfortable in possession, although of course he's a fantastic defender and a great threat at set pieces. But can he play Potterball?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Before posting this, I quickly Googled to check whether Lawro actually did say this. I saw it posted somewhere else on another forum so took that as proof.

Only on going back to close the other tab did I notice that it had been posted over 11 years ago by, errr, me...

The past coming back to haunt you:lol: Ithought he had too though tbf, and did understand your comment, but if your going to search for shite said by Mark Lawrenson, i hope youv'e nothing else planned for today, cos you're going to be busy.

Great footballer but my god he talks some amount of bollox :lol:

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
You mean our second highest goal scorer last season yeah?
Indeed but consider the scenario, if we give the ball away in midfield with everyone caught forward our centre backs need to be able to cope with forwards running at them at pace. Can big Shane deal with that?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here