Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rafa gone..

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
He’s walked he wasn’t sacked. Not sure how this is Ashley’s fault? Rumour he’s refused to sanction a massive transfer spend. If that were Bloom we would be praising him for common business sense. (I still think Ashley comes across as a **** of a person though!!).
Benitez acting like he’s still at Liverpool or Chelsea in terms expectations.

The whole shit storm at Newcastle is Ashley’s fault. He’s a top manager who kept them up and adds at least 10-15 points. Who will want to go to Newcastle knowing they’re not getting much cash to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes agree. There's a fair chance Benitez requested something entirely unreasonable, to give him the chance to walk away and put the blame on Ashley (which is what has happened).

Still, Ashley really hasn't backed his manager at all has he. Apart from the £25m or whatever for Almiron, thumping great loan fees for Rondon and a wage structure which the Albion blatantly can't compete with

He’s walked he wasn’t sacked. Not sure how this is Ashley’s fault? Rumour he’s refused to sanction a massive transfer spend. If that were Bloom we would be praising him for common business sense. (I still think Ashley comes across as a **** of a person though!!).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Would've been interesting to see what he could've achieved with a more supportive Chairman. We'll never know now......thankfully.

Indeed. Brother in law is a Toon fan and do feel a (little) bit sorry for him at the moment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

He's simply run his contract down, and I don't blame him. He's had that club punching well above its weight, he's far too good for them. I think I read somewhere that Ashley was offering him a transfer budget of £50m next season, which is basically treading water. The only surprise for me is how long its taken for Benitez's ambition to kick in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Guardian sport headline - 'Ashley to give Sparky war-chest to take on City and Liverpool'. Exciting times to be a Geordie. Well jell!

An electrician's getting the job? ???

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A Newcastle-supporting colleague is very confident that the takeover is going ahead and they'll be playing with Man City money. I'm guessing Benitez isn't so sure that Mbappe will be leading the line next season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why is everyone missing their takeover thing? What if the new owners had said they don't want Benetiz to be given a contract as they want to get a new man in and don't want to have to pay off Rafa?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why is everyone missing their takeover thing? What if the new owners had said they don't want Benetiz to be given a contract as they want to get a new man in and don't want to have to pay off Rafa?

The takeover sounds dubious. This same mob were apparently in negotiations to buy Liverpool a couple of years ago, but in the end they just didn't come up with the readies.

When takeovers happen, you usually tend to hear about it when its actually happened, not after endless weeks of speculation in the media. If this lot were serious about buying NUFC, it probably would have happened by now. Benitez isn't daft, he knows this.

And they wouldn't have had to pay him off anyway. His contract expires on 30th June.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apart from losing a top quality manager you wonder who's off next.

Player of The Year was Rondon - he's on-loan, 29 and has one more decent contract left in him. Isaac Hayden wants to leave. Real Madrid are said to be tracking Almiron at the Copa America.

A black day for Newcastle.

el punal

Potentially though Newcastle are a huge club. If, whoever, comes in as a new owner and actually taps into that potential in a positive way then they could be a force to be reckoned with. 52,000 every home game and with a Sir John Hall (Mark 2) at the helm, and a decent manager to boot - who knows what could be achieved?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Feel so sorry for their fans, Ashley has completely shafted that club. Wouldn't want him anywhere near us. Glad we have such a good owner.

Has he?

They are profitable and finished mid table in the Premiership last year. He also got a Champions League winning manager to manage them for three seasons.

I think we are only hearing one side of the story.

I

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Potentially though Newcastle are a huge club. If, whoever, comes in as a new owner and actually taps into that potential in a positive way then they could be a force to be reckoned with. 52,000 every home game and with a Sir John Hall (Mark 2) at the helm, and a decent manager to boot - who knows what could be achieved?

"If" is right. How many years has Ashley been wanting to sell?

Rafa has ambitions as a manager and Ashley was not up to the job of funding them imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here