Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 4 E nglish teams

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Same for all PL clubs, so what makes an English club English?

The players of course, with arguably a nod to including other UK nationalities due to our union. But in this age of mega money and global dominance it shouldn’t come as any surprise every PL is generally stuffed with foreign talent. There’s no way a tiny nation can produce that many quality players in every position. Naturally money talks and the best come here from around the world subsequently as the ‘best league in the world’ (highest paying anyway). But these clubs are no more English these days than the Foreign Legion is French. It’s a PL success story. But not an EC one. That’s all.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
IMG-20190510-WA0000.jpg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The players of course, with arguably a nod to including other UK nationalities due to our union. But in this age of mega money and global dominance it shouldn’t come as any surprise every PL is generally stuffed with foreign talent. There’s no way a tiny nation can produce that many quality players in every position. Naturally money talks and the best come here from around the world subsequently as the ‘best league in the world’ (highest paying anyway). But these clubs are no more English these days than the Foreign Legion is French. It’s a PL success story. But not an EC one. That’s all.

I sort of agree with you, but what you have described above is most top flight clubs world wide (and a number of second tier clubs) and the clubs are put forward to represent England by the FA.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I sort of agree with you, but what you have described above is most top flight clubs world wide (and a number of second tier clubs) and the clubs are put forward to represent England by the FA.

Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s not exclusive to PL. Nearly all the richest clubs (refuse to call them top) worldwide are the same, Even National teams are at it. Jack Charlton has a lot to answer for! :)

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
All joking aside, it actually is, to be honest. Its an enormous, and entirely avoidable drain on financial and environmental resources, when there are magnificent stadia on the doorstep of the finalists.

Arsenal v Chelsea could be at the incredible new Spurs ground.
Liverpool v Tottenham at Wembley.

:shrug:

Perfect.

Never going to happen.
Money trumps everything.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All joking aside, it actually is, to be honest. Its an enormous, and entirely avoidable drain on financial and environmental resources, when there are magnificent stadia on the doorstep of the finalists.

Arsenal v Chelsea could be at the incredible new Spurs ground.
Liverpool v Tottenham at Wembley.

:shrug:

Don't worry UEFA are doing their bit to save the planet with their tiny allocation. saves the planet

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I don't know where you find out stats like this

but,I wouldn't mind betting that the amount of British players that have played in a Euopean Cup final
would be somewhere near the top,compared with other nations

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I don't know where you find out stats like this

but,I wouldn't mind betting that the amount of British players that have played in a Euopean Cup final
would be somewhere near the top,compared with other nations

Around 5th...

Player stats for Champions League final appearances over the past 15 years by Nationality

1. Spanish 70
2. Brasilian 40
3. German 40
4. French 36
5. English 34
6. Italian 25
7. Portugese 25
8. Argentinian
9. Dutch 18
10. Croatian 12

Spain light years ahead of everyone else :shrug:

appearances.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s not exclusive to PL. Nearly all the richest clubs (refuse to call them top) worldwide are the same, Even National teams are at it. Jack Charlton has a lot to answer for! :)

Real Madrid started all this 60 years ago with world class Hungarians, then Barca and Inter/ACMilan/Juve did the same.

It’s a minor miracle that Celtic, Ajax, Liverpool, Forest, Villa won the top trophy almost exclusively with players from their own neck of the woods.

The improvement in English clubs now, is not just on the playing side, but due also to recruiting the top coaches in their prime (not old masters, only here for the pay day).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8906297 said:
Around 5th...

Player stats for Champions League final appearances over the past 15 years by Nationality

1. Spanish 70
2. Brasilian 40
3. German 40
4. French 36
5. English 34
6. Italian 25
7. Portugese 25
8. Argentinian
9. Dutch 18
10. Croatian 12

Spain light years ahead of everyone else :shrug:

View attachment 109391

You’ve arbitrarily selected 15 years.

Wasn’t [MENTION=21669]Gregory2,Smith1[/MENTION] referring to European Cup Finals in their totality?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could not re-locate Liverpool to Spain and build a new stadium. The club would collapse. It would not be Liverpool. They are not franchises although they are a brand.

You could move it to China, or India, or Ireland and it wouldn’t collapse.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
if you add the Scottish and Welsh which we arbitrarily like to do , "British" is 2nd … which was Gregory 2,Smith 1´s "i wouldnt mind betting"

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here