Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hoping that Cardiff save us from going down and we survive by the skin of our teeth, something must change for next season. Agreed we have to be carefull not to leave ourselves too open, but we have to try to establish a more attacking formation otherwise no progress will be made. I'm not expecting a top 10 finish but was hoping with what I thought at the start of the season was a stronger squad, that we would show slight progress this season.

Time for a managerial change? / change of formation? / major overhaul of the squad? - be interesting to know what other people think. I still think we will just survive but I'm sorry to sound greedy, but I wanted to see an improvement on last season (which technically is still possible however unlikely), and I do want to see entertaining football. Only a couple of home games this season fall into that category for me.

I get the feeling that CH is happy with a point at home against teams around us in the league and sets us up not to lose rather than going for a win and maybe losing because we would leave ourselves exposed to the counter. There was an interesting stat on the stream I watched, apparently since we’ve reached the Premier League we have gone behind around 35 times and only come back to win one game and that was against Huddersfield.

The idea is soak up pressure score on the break and then defend, which we have been quite succesful at but once we go behind we are basically ****ed..

Just my take :shrug:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It felt like watching a 10 second looping film (pass right, pass left, pass right, etc ) in very very slow motion.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

We were playing slower than a 3rd team on a Sunday morning with hangovers.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I get the feeling that CH is happy with a point at home against teams around us in the league and sets us up not to lose rather than going for a win and maybe losing because we would leave ourselves exposed to the counter. There was an interesting stat on the stream I watched, apparently since we’ve reached the Premier League we have gone behind around 35 times and only come back to win one game and that was against Huddersfield.

The idea is soak up pressure score on the break and then defend, which we have been quite succesful at but once we go behind we are basically ****ed..

Just my take :shrug:

Yeah you are right... however, how do we score on the break when we are the equivalent in speed of a Reliant Robin?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Yeah you are right... however, how do we score on the break when we are the equivalent in speed of a Reliant Robin?

perhaps Muzza would improve if in a Reliant Robin , lets face it if you dont supply the right ammunition how is anybody going to find the barn let alone the barn door

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
First we lose, now the Bruins are getting beaten at home.

I'm gonna go find something to kick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do the replays show that it should have been a penalty for Propper?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That we shouldn't be so doom and gloom, we were roughly equal to what is an under achieving saints team, they are not that bad and it should have been a draw. People act like we are utter shit and nigh on relegated.

Well yes, we are utter shit and very close to relegation now.

And re: your other post about judging it after 38 games, you’re exactly right, and doing that, we’re still utter shit. We have been really poor the majority of the season. The cup run and double over Palace have really glossed over that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How the hell did we think our strike force didn't need improving last January?

In the 25 years I've supported this club, why do we always end up with a shit strike-force? Bobby amora, Murray, Forster, Knight (for one season) and Virgo have been our only success stories upfront in that time. and now our strike force in the Prem isn't as good as it was when we were in league one. Thats so typical us.

The recruitment team needs improving (fast) and Bloom's going to have to splash some cash this summer on strikers (if we stay up). We're down to just 2 strikers. One is 35 years old, the other has barely played. Why are we on such a tight budget upfront? Reminds me of the Withdean days when we didn't have enough players to suit all the positions hence Virgo going upfront.

That's the Hughton effect imho. I think defensively we're fine, also defensive midfield element is ok.... It's offensive midfield and attack that seems to be so often lackluster, putting it out to a winger to simply cross one in, is 1980's tactics..... When you watch teams that do the high press well or have mastered the diamond (that Brendon Rogers does so well) you see how tactically behind our offensive play often is. Just can't see us ever being a high pressing or expansive team under Chris, it's not his DNA.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully we will get over this abject performance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here