Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So your happy that our midfield pairing in a season and a half have a goal apiece ?goals wins matches no wonder Murray is under so much pressure in every game . 15 last season 10 this it’s what’s behind him that’s the problem . . It’s ok Keri g Possession buts sometimes u gotta attack . Said before and will again will be gobsmacked if propper and sideways start next season assuming we survive.

Yeah brilliant, Stephens could be upgraded for next season, of course he could as could others. Not really relevant now though is it. Our squad is what it is, Stephens is what he is. We can be critical of performances, that someone else could start instead, but what really is the point of judging a player on them being replaced by better next season? We're in this season, it's March, judge, critique, appreciate your team on what they give you now. Your modus operandi just seems to be a perpetual state of disappointment, that I actually feel sorry for you as a fan, because where are you getting your joy from?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why is interceptions a wierd one? Is it because it doesn’t fit with your narrative? Tell that to Pep, Klopp or Sarri or any other top manager who play with a press. The whole point of a press is to make the other team pass poorly so you can intercept the ball. It’s a massive part of modern football.

And I deliberately listed players who all play for similar level teams and none of them play expansive football (Huddersfield and Fulham?!). And I think you’d be quite lonely amongst football coaches, experts and other teams fans in a group who would take Stephens over any of them.

And I said he was ok on Saturday, poor first half mind you but better second. Against Championship in all but name Huddersfield. That is his standard, I would expect him to play ok in that game. But against the mighty Burnley a couple of weeks ago he was dreadful and culpable for two of their goals.

And finally, why the need to get personal - “beyond help” - when someone has a different opinion to you? I didn’t criticise other fans for their opinion, just laid out a perfectly reasonable explanation of why I don’t think Stephens is a good enough defensive central midfielder in the premier league with stats backing it up. It would suggest to me you’re struggling to back up your opinion.

It is an interesting statistic though. There isn't a single player from the top 6 clubs in the top 17 interception players. Fernandinho doesn't appear until #37, you go down to #57 until you find a Liverpool player. Dale is only 3 interceptions behind MU's Matic.

Another stat I noticed is that Dale has one of our lowest stats for being dispossessed, with only the defence being dispossessed less times. Dale's figure is just 8 times compared, to say Propper 19, Gross 13, and get this, Bissouma is on 21 already having played 570mins less than DS.

So, I'm not a cheerleader for Dale being one of the top midfielders, but I also know he's pretty decent, does a great job for the team, and played well Saturday. All we can ask of him really. Whether we bring someone else in is the future for me, right now he is the best player for the job he does in this team, this season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah brilliant, Stephens could be upgraded for next season, of course he could as could others. Not really relevant now though is it. Our squad is what it is, Stephens is what he is. We can be critical of performances, that someone else could start instead, but what really is the point of judging a player on them being replaced by better next season? We're in this season, it's March, judge, critique, appreciate your team on what they give you now. Your modus operandi just seems to be a perpetual state of disappointment, that I actually feel sorry for you as a fan, because where are you getting your joy from?

Quality post.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is an interesting statistic though. There isn't a single player from the top 6 clubs in the top 17 interception players. Fernandinho doesn't appear until #37, you go down to #57 until you find a Liverpool player. Dale is only 3 interceptions behind MU's Matic.

Another stat I noticed is that Dale has one of our lowest stats for being dispossessed, with only the defence being dispossessed less times. Dale's figure is just 8 times compared, to say Propper 19, Gross 13, and get this, Bissouma is on 21 already having played 570mins less than DS.

So, I'm not a cheerleader for Dale being one of the top midfielders, but I also know he's pretty decent, does a great job for the team, and played well Saturday. All we can ask of him really. Whether we bring someone else in is the future for me, right now he is the best player for the job he does in this team, this season.

"Dale is only 3 interceptions behind MU's Matic" - that statement is so relevant - identical positions.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
One for the haters: Dale Stephens in acres of space giving the ball away

SADYbec.gif

and one for the lovers: Dale Stephens in acres of space playing a great forward ball

ru8wfrD.gif

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

This thread is about Stephens is it not so it is relevant now .I don’t rate him end of . Get my joy by the rollercoaster ride of being an Albion fan of 41 years please don’t feel sorry for me I’m fine thanx . I’m judging sideways On a seasons a half one goal Holding defensive call it whatever u like he’s a week link as his red cards show . Accept it’s what we got until August but again he won’t be pairing propper come August unti then I’d prefer Bissouma or Kayla instead off just my opinion like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
That first clip will fuel the haters, who want DS out of THEIR club.

The first clip is the mistake I referred to in my first post, this was a direct result of the boo boys' moaning. The square pass was to Montoya, but he refused this mistakenly and looked forward, Bissouma and Knockaert both failed to make runs into space that he could pass to. Montoya then actually retreats away from Stephens indicating 'I don't want it'. As the space narrowed Montoya needed to come towards Stephens to assist with either a reverse lay-off on the blind side or at least give an out ball back towards the half way line and back to the keeper.

Don't look at Stephens in this clip, look at the other players. Stephens is the reliable fulcrum, other players expect him to retain the ball and think for them. As I said, this is the issue he had time and again.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why is interceptions a wierd one? Is it because it doesn’t fit with your narrative? Tell that to Pep, Klopp or Sarri or any other top manager who play with a press. The whole point of a press is to make the other team pass poorly so you can intercept the ball. It’s a massive part of modern football.

And I deliberately listed players who all play for similar level teams and none of them play expansive football (Huddersfield and Fulham?!). And I think you’d be quite lonely amongst football coaches, experts and other teams fans in a group who would take Stephens over any of them.

And I said he was ok on Saturday, poor first half mind you but better second. Against Championship in all but name Huddersfield. That is his standard, I would expect him to play ok in that game. But against the mighty Burnley a couple of weeks ago he was dreadful and culpable for two of their goals.

And finally, why the need to get personal - “beyond help” - when someone has a different opinion to you? I didn’t criticise other fans for their opinion, just laid out a perfectly reasonable explanation of why I don’t think Stephens is a good enough defensive central midfielder in the premier league with stats backing it up. It would suggest to me you’re struggling to back up your opinion.

Do you think Huddersfield and Fulham play the same way as us? I hope not, so I'll skim over that.

You have picked up on one stat to base your argument on, a narrative that you have changed from your posts some weeks/months ago when you were criticising him for very different things.

It's as if you have reluctantly conceded that he is actually quite decent in his distribution and decided to criticise him on a different front now. You also changed your opinion on how he played on Saturday, gradually through attrition of other posts wearing you down, to ultimately concede he was 'better' in the second half. It's like you are incapable of moving past your bias to give credit where credit is due.

There are players with as many, or fewer interceptions in the PL that are far better than Stephens, similarly there are those with more who I would not replace him with as I stated. It is such a narrow outlook regardless.

What really shows you up is suggesting he was culpable for two of Burnley's goals, which is pretty funny. I'll confess I haven't watched the highlights back since watching the game, but as I recall Barnes played a hopeful nothing ball when pressured on the touchline and Dunk slipped. I'd love to know how he was at fault for that one? Second goal, I remember Stephens getting a foot in and it bouncing fortuitously for their man. Hardly culpable for what followed? Perhaps he should have been stronger in the tackle there, but I'm sure they'd be a gaggle of dunces honing in on him should he have conceded a free kick in that position. You included I dare say.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
.....suggesting he was culpable for two of Burnley's goals, which is pretty funny. Second goal, I remember Stephens getting a foot in and it bouncing fortuitously for their man. Hardly culpable for what followed? Perhaps he should have been stronger in the tackle there, but I'm sure they'd be a gaggle of dunces honing in on him should he have conceded a free kick in that position. You included I dare say.

No. He should have read the move a little bit quicker and made a better interception. It’s what defensive midfielders should be able to do.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No. He should have read the move a little bit quicker and made a better interception. It’s what defensive midfielders should be able to do.

He read the move, he was quick enough to get a foot in, it bounced back off McNeil's shin.

Harsh to single out based on the errors that followed, but we all know your stance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He read the move, he was quick enough to get a foot in, it bounced back off McNeil's shin.

Harsh to single out based on the errors that followed, but we all know your stance.

His supposed interception resulted in the ball “bouncing back off” an opponent’s shin. Please, just pause for a minute and think about what you just typed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but we all know your stance.

As someone who regularly demonstrates impartiality, open mindedness and objectivity in other threads such as politics and Brexit, if find it disappointing you think I’m biased.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As someone who regularly demonstrates impartiality, open mindedness and objectivity in other threads such as politics and Brexit, if find it disappointing you think I’m biased.

You're definitely not biased, you are open minded, impartial, and in this instance also wrong.:thumbsup:

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Watching the Sheffield Wednesday game last night, One has to wonder why Norwood was moved on. I'd sooner have him in the side than of Stephens.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
His supposed interception resulted in the ball “bouncing back off” an opponent’s shin. Please, just pause for a minute and think about what you just typed.

I've thought about it, watched it again, and I'm still seeing the same thing? I've already stated that he should have been stronger there so perhaps it's you that needs a moment to ponder on the point you are trying to convey. Are you suggesting that this was the key moment as to why we conceded?

Whilst your open-mindedness is well renowned :laugh:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Do you think Huddersfield and Fulham play the same way as us? I hope not, so I'll skim over that.

You have picked up on one stat to base your argument on, a narrative that you have changed from your posts some weeks/months ago when you were criticising him for very different things.

It's as if you have reluctantly conceded that he is actually quite decent in his distribution and decided to criticise him on a different front now. You also changed your opinion on how he played on Saturday, gradually through attrition of other posts wearing you down, to ultimately concede he was 'better' in the second half. It's like you are incapable of moving past your bias to give credit where credit is due.

There are players with as many, or fewer interceptions in the PL that are far better than Stephens, similarly there are those with more who I would not replace him with as I stated. It is such a narrow outlook regardless.

What really shows you up is suggesting he was culpable for two of Burnley's goals, which is pretty funny. I'll confess I haven't watched the highlights back since watching the game, but as I recall Barnes played a hopeful nothing ball when pressured on the touchline and Dunk slipped. I'd love to know how he was at fault for that one? Second goal, I remember Stephens getting a foot in and it bouncing fortuitously for their man. Hardly culpable for what followed? Perhaps he should have been stronger in the tackle there, but I'm sure they'd be a gaggle of dunces honing in on him should he have conceded a free kick in that position. You included I dare say.

You should have really watched the Burnley highlights again before commenting and sounding completely clueless. He was totally caught in no mans land and then mugged off by Barnes for the first goal but in fairness maybe you don’t have the technical football knowledge to spot that anyway. And then there was that obvious, pathetic challenge for the 2nd as you highlighted.

And I really think you’re confusing my posts with others? My opinion on Saturday has remained consistent, he was poor first half and better second, I gave him 6/10 in the player ratings thread immediately after the match. Likewise, my opinion of him has remained consistent all season. I don’t rate his passing particularly but it is not my major concern, that is his lack of defensive know how. Please go back through my posts and you will see this time and again.

And interceptions is one stat but I could go through others if you wish for me to highlight his weaknesses compared to other players? There are many.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here