Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not suggesting it’s a huge problem. But if we wish to evolve in this division, which is what Bloom has stated is his intention, we will need to improve on snuffing out balls through the middle on the deck. The Premier League is about fine margins and this is a weakness, a very specific one, we could do well to address. Some people agree with me, some don’t, it’s an opinion. I’ll leave this here.

So what's your definition of the word 'evolve'?

You seem to be favouring the Fulham approach to evolution.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
if we stay up and have same squad it will be a battle against the drop again. I have no problem with this as have enjoyed both seasons. However win or lose it would be nice to see us dominate a few games. This wont happen unless we upgrade which means players have to go. Are those that think Stevens should not be upgraded if we stay up really think we have another season of Propper,Gross and Stevens in midfield. All the time we are in premier all our players have high value and am sure it is just as important to know when to sell,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what's your definition of the word 'evolve'?

I think I have been quite clear in all my posts over the two threads. An additional striker, upgrade on Stephens and an upgrade on Duffy. This will suffice for the coming season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think I have been quite clear in all my posts over the two threads. An additional striker, upgrade on Stephens and an upgrade on Duffy. This will suffice for the coming season.

An upgrade on Duffy? WOW but everyone is quite entitled to an opinion.

I think someone has their eyes on Europe next season

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An upgrade on Duffy? WOW but everyone is quite entitled to an opinion.

I think someone has their eyes on Europe next season

I sense you’re just looking at the headline here. If you go back and read my posts on this matter you’ll see my reasons why, it’s not as sensational as you seem to think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if we stay up and have same squad it will be a battle against the drop again. I have no problem with this as have enjoyed both seasons. However win or lose it would be nice to see us dominate a few games. This wont happen unless we upgrade which means players have to go. Are those that think Stevens should not be upgraded if we stay up really think we have another season of Propper,Gross and Stevens in midfield. All the time we are in premier all our players have high value and am sure it is just as important to know when to sell,

Quite. It should be no surprise to supporters that same players, same tactics will yield the same results next season. Something has to change. And I ask everyone who is criticising my modest suggestions to tell me what they would change if they want to progress a little bit.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

It's funny how through the decades the great sides have been applauded for keeping the ball when nothing is on, being patient when the opposition is in a good shape defensively, even grinding out results when not at their best.. Kids teams across the country are put through endless "possession" based drills and sessions to help them understand that it is OK to play sideways/backwards when needing to. Having someone who can provide defensive cover, the option for defenders to play the ball to, the skill to receive it under pressure and move it on, the ability to switch play from one side to another is a fantastic asset for any team to have. A guy behind me in North Stand was almost apoplectic with rage every time Stephens did any of these things.. calling for him to be subbed. I just don't understand it - and of course he left on 85 mins..

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I’ll take a former professional footballers opinion over yours any day of the week and don’t worry, I’m at plenty of games myself,,including Saturday when Stephens was my MOTM

I’ll also take former professionals opinion that Brighton don’t score enough from midfield 2 goals in a season and a half . Don’t need a professional to tell me that’s not good enough . Stephens mom lol[emoji2957]Duffy knocky Bernardo andone all ahead of sideways . I’ll have a friendly bet that they will not b the midfield pairing come August and Stephens will b the one who gets dropped / sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I have a lot of sympathy with this post. I don't understand this "pass it forward" nonsense he's getting slaughtered for. That's never been his strength and positionally you can tell that's not expected of him. That's why he plays in front of the back 4 and against Huddersfield he did his job well, breaking up their play regularly and playing it simple to retain possession (and yes, that often means going backwards).

My only criticism of him on Saturday was his habit of dropping back to pick the ball up off the toes of one of our centre backs, especially in the first half. It is not like Dunk hasn't got the ability to play the ball out of defence effectively. It is basic stuff that he should refrain from doing that, because the consequence was that it meant Bissouma and Pröpper also had to spend the whole first half ten yards deeper than they needed to be to do any real damage.

I'm sorry, but do explain that? How is it not the job of your playmaker to pass the ball forward? And how is passing the ball forward less of a strength than passing it backwards or to the side?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I must take a photo for a Stephens eye view of what's around him if I can be arsed to use my phone. So often, the view in front of him is static team mates closely marked, with nobody making 'the' run. Frustrating to say the least.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Anyone that thinks that Stephens had a poor game on Saturday, or gave the ball away too much or kept on passing sideways, or holds the team back in some way analogous to those oft repeated cliches knows jack-shit about football. They know sod-all about team chemistry, keeping possession where necessary, breaking up play, defending the 18 yard line when the chips are down and being a reliable fulcrum while 'artistes' are having a temper tantrum. Such as Bissouma in the first half when DS bollocked him for not showing around the corner. Because he didn't and Stephens had to go back to Duffy the morons around me got on Stephens' back, this is the problem. The team didn't show when DS had the ball on multiple occasions on Saturday. He doesn't hide, so save your opprobrium for that 'type' of player rather than him.

More worryingly this crass, misplaced anger is filtering onto the pitch and Stephens got caught in the 2nd half directly as a result of crowd nerves and groaning at him.

A few minutes before this he had wanted to pass forward but yet again there was no movement, so he pivoted and passed to Duffy. The crowd moaned and he raised his hands to demonstrate 'there was nothing on'. Cue a few minutes later when faced with the same scenario he looked for too long and got caught. This gave the self-fulfilling prophets of piss and wind around me a chance to glow in the reflection of their own bullshit.

I was glad to see that most realised DS had a fantastic game on Saturday, bossing the midfield, playing positive well struck passes allowing flimsier individuals to tickle the fancy of the crowd when the mood took them. It sums up today's bite size culture and the concomitant reduction in attention span that it takes for players like DS to be missing before some realise that they were there in the first place.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Anyone that thinks that Stephens had a poor game on Saturday, or gave the ball away too much or kept on passing sideways, or holds the team back in some way analogous to those oft repeated cliches knows jack-shit about football. They know sod-all about team chemistry, keeping possession where necessary, breaking up play, defending the 18 yard line when the chips are down and being a reliable fulcrum while 'artistes' are having a temper tantrum. Such as Bissouma in the first half when DS bollocked him for not showing around the corner. Because he didn't and Stephens had to go back to Duffy the morons around me got on Stephens' back, this is the problem. The team didn't show when DS had the ball on multiple occasions on Saturday. He doesn't hide, so save your opprobrium for that 'type' of player rather than him.

More worryingly this crass, misplaced anger is filtering onto the pitch and Stephens got caught in the 2nd half directly as a result of crowd nerves and getting on his back.

A few minutes before he wanted to pass forward but yet again there was no movement, so he pivoted and passed to Duffy. The crowd moaned and he raised his hands to demonstrate 'there was nothing on'. Cue a few minutes later when faced with the same scenario he looked for too long and got caught. This gave the self-fulfilling prophets of piss and wind around me a chance to glow in the reflection of their own bullshit.

I was glad to see that most realised DS had a fantastic game on Saturday, bossing the midfield, playing positive well struck passes allowing flimsier individuals to tickle the fancy of the crowd when the mood took them. It sums up today's bite size culture and the concomitant reduction in attention span that it takes for players like DS to be missing before some realise that they were there in the first place.

:clap2:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sorry, but do explain that? How is it not the job of your playmaker to pass the ball forward? And how is passing the ball forward less of a strength than passing it backwards or to the side?
Because Dale Stephens isn't really our "playmaker". And as for your second sentence, what are you talking about? His job is to break up opposition attacks and retain possession, which often means going backwards. Obviously there are times when he misses the chance for a probing forward pass, but more often than not, I'd say he does the right thing in playing percentages and looking to retain possession even if that means going sideways or backwards.

Anyone that thinks that Stephens had a poor game on Saturday, or gave the ball away too much or kept on passing sideways, or holds the team back in some way analogous to those oft repeated cliches knows jack-shit about football.
To be honest, I nearly posted almost exactly this in response. Some people are clearly absolutely clueless about the nuances of the game as they have never played themselves before.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

More worryingly this crass, misplaced anger is filtering onto the pitch and Stephens got caught in the 2nd half directly as a result of crowd nerves and groaning at him.

A few minutes before this he had wanted to pass forward but yet again there was no movement, so he pivoted and passed to Duffy. The crowd moaned and he raised his hands to demonstrate 'there was nothing on'. Cue a few minutes later when faced with the same scenario he looked for too long and got caught. This gave the self-fulfilling prophets of piss and wind around me a chance to glow in the reflection of their own bullshit.

Well said - great post. Couple of blokes behind us were moaning like **** at one point when the ball went to Stephens a three times in one passage of play and the first two times he passed sideways 'FFS Stephens kick it FORWARD you useless ****' .....conveniently ignoring the fact there was no-one in space in front of him for him to actually pass it to without a big risk of losing posession. On the third time, he hit a lovely pass to Knockaert who was free on the right which of course got the 'about ****ing time' response from behind. Knockaert was free as a result of the preceding passage of play, of course but that doesn't fit the 'Sideways Stephens' narrative..................

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

It's bizarre, isn't it? I was watching the game with a Wednesday-supporting mate and we were bemoaning the fact that some fans can't appreciate a player like Stephens.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
It's bizarre, isn't it? I was watching the game with a Wednesday-supporting mate and we were bemoaning the fact that some fans can't appreciate a player like Stephens.

People like that are the sort of people that watch X Factor and think it provides a valid vehicle for artistic impression. It's axiomatic with Premier League fan and press hero culture; we should call it the Fernandinho paradox. No one mentioned his contribution to Man City until he wasn't there, and then the pundits stroked their beards of wisdom, conveyed this knowledge to the mouth-breathers hanging onto their every word and hey presto everyone now knows he's amazing and they eagerly pass this information on to their wives as they scratch their balls through grey jogging pants.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Well said. It is telling that Calde, when asked who the best player in the team was, said Dale Stephens.

I've no doubt the ones who get on his back, will use the excuse of it being in Championship times, but Burnley recognised his worth and tried their hardest to buy him, even when they knew they were going back up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He also played some really accurate attacking balls, arguably the best of the game, that seem to pass those by who only want to see negative things about a player.

What I don't understand is people don't accept where we are as a club. I'll judge the players on what they contribute in a match, not whether they can be replaced by better in the future. Was Stephens as good as Fernandinho? No, of course not. Did he contribute to our side winning a game, and played well in context of his own ability and his place within our side and squad, of course he did, particularly second half I thought he was instrumental in allowing Bissouma and Propper to push on, because frankly he did his job so well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Playmaker? I've never heard Dale Stephens referred to as a "playmaker" before, and I'm sure it would make him laugh too.

He's the defensive shield of the back 4. He's the water carrier. He plays in a position where - if he is to pass forwards - the pass has to be absolutely perfect, as otherwise it's a very risky pass to make.

I can understand the groans when he passes sideways or backwards, but the groans should be directed at the attacking players for not providing the movement, not at Stephens. I don't understand how people can't see that.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Yeah that's the definition of evolving.
Unless one of January's 'kids' has been earmarked for the role, I'm sure the Stephens position will be evolved.

I just don't get why your getting bent out of shape about it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here