Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
How many 'tap ins' did our strikers miss last season.. quite a few.

Probably rhetorical, but in the interest of accuracy, Glenn missed 6, Florin 3 and Jurgen also missed 3 big chances. According to the Premier League staticians.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It seems that Championship players who scored over 20 goals last season are slowly making their way to the Premier League in time for next season, one way or another. There are only four out of nine left to make the leap.

1. Teemu Pukki 29 goals EPL Norwich City
2. Tammy Abraham 26 goals EPL Chelsea
3. Neal Maupay 25 goals EFL Brentford FC
4. Dwight Gayle 23 goals EFL WBA
5. Billy Sharp 23 goals EPL Sheffield Utd
6. Che Adams 22 goals EPL S’hampton
7. Jarrod Bowen 22 goals EFL Hull City
8. Oliver McBurnie22 goals EFL Swansea City
9. Jay Rodriguez 22 goals EPL Burnley

I’m pretty sure that Maupay is a dummy for us to sign to distract the media and get our real target (and his club) twitching. Now that AN is dead to the club, he was surely sold a red herring in his last week and has fittingly gutted, cooked and swallowed the fake lure. We clearly do not and will not do business with Brentford.

Of the other three Championships 20+ scorers from last season; Gayle has failed at Premier League level and can be seen as too much of a gamble (only Palace would contemplate signing him) where as Bowen is a winger, we have enough of those already thanks.

So there’s just one player left who’d be a realistic signing for us. I think Swansea will cave in and take the much needed cash as they grow paranoid about Brentford grabbing Tony’s big wad before they get their greedy little feathered paws on it!

Welcome to the Albion Oliver McBurnie (in about 2 weeks I reckon for £18mill).
Unless we sell Knockaert and replace him with Bowen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How do we know it would be ‘wasted’ on Maupay?

My take on that comment was Maupay seems to be a little one dimensional (not a problem when you're that good at that one skill) and it's a skill Connolly also seems to possess.

So I didn't take the word 'wasted' to mean he'll be shitehouse and that money will be wasted.
More a case of the £18m will be wasted because it's being spent on something we may already possess.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Isn't that what you often see with young players, though? They show enough to get themselves a run in first team football, gather up some experience, and then (if they genuinely have the goods) something clicks and you have a top player on your hands. Or it doesn't click and they drift back out of regular first team. Or it clicks for a while, goes to their heads, and unclicks. Thing is ... if you don't grab the ones that click and have a great season *before* they follow that season with a second or third great season, the asking price goes up and it'll be a top tier team sniffing around rather than us.

We have to take the risk, and hope we pick the right one that clicked and then stays clicked. So for me, I like that we're being linked with young players with one quality season behind them. It's a risk, but it's a risk worth taking when you're shopping on a budget.
So would you have bought Zamora ??

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
How do we know it would be ‘wasted’ on Maupay?

No one knows, but I just have that feeling. A bit like when we lost out with Abraham.
Good second tier poacher, just can't see him as having all the attributes to fit into a lower prem side. Genuinely see more in Connolly and really hoping this to be the season he breaks through.
Think the funds would be better spent on a top quality CM, RB and Keeper. (Though I know that's an unpopular view!)

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
No one knows, but I just have that feeling. A bit like when we lost out with Abraham.
Good second tier poacher, just can't see him as having all the attributes to fit into a lower prem side. Genuinely see more in Connolly and really hoping this to be the season he breaks through.
Think the funds would be better spent on a top quality CM, RB and Keeper. (Though I know that's an unpopular view!)

How do you see more in Connelly, who as far as i am aware has never played a champ or prem game, than Abraham who score 20 plus champ goals last season?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It seems that Championship players who scored over 20 goals last season are slowly making their way to the Premier League in time for next season, one way or another. There are only four out of nine left to make the leap.

1. Teemu Pukki 29 goals EPL Norwich City
2. Tammy Abraham 26 goals EPL Chelsea
3. Neal Maupay 25 goals EFL Brentford FC
4. Dwight Gayle 23 goals EFL WBA
5. Billy Sharp 23 goals EPL Sheffield Utd
6. Che Adams 22 goals EPL S’hampton
7. Jarrod Bowen 22 goals EFL Hull City
8. Oliver McBurnie22 goals EFL Swansea City
9. Jay Rodriguez 22 goals EPL Burnley

I’m pretty sure that Maupay is a dummy for us to sign to distract the media and get our real target (and his club) twitching. Now that AN is dead to the club, he was surely sold a red herring in his last week and has fittingly gutted, cooked and swallowed the fake lure. We clearly do not and will not do business with Brentford.

Of the other three Championships 20+ scorers from last season; Gayle has failed at Premier League level and can be seen as too much of a gamble (only Palace would contemplate signing him) where as Bowen is a winger, we have enough of those already thanks.

So there’s just one player left who’d be a realistic signing for us. I think Swansea will cave in and take the much needed cash as they grow paranoid about Brentford grabbing Tony’s big wad before they get their greedy little feathered paws on it!

Welcome to the Albion Oliver McBurnie (in about 2 weeks I reckon for £18mill).

You don’t belong here. That was a reasoned, well researched and sensible post. It was also excellent.

I can see your logic, but really hope you are wrong, never been impressed with McBurnie, yes he scored a few last season but always looks clumsy and seems to fall over all the time, i'd rather go with our existing strikers than waste ANY money on him.

Just my opinion, but if you are right, he will of course get my support at least until he falls over, about 10 minutes in true NSC fashion :lol:

And what is the common denominator with the upswing in McBurnie’s form? Potter.

You’d be surprised what playing for a manager who has faith in you can do. I personally would like to see them develop together.

I'd rather we played Connolly than wasted c£18M on Maupay.

Why isn’t there room for both? As sure as I am I’d love Connolly to get some Prem game time it might benefit him to play a season in Championship as well.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
How do you see more in Connelly, who as far as i am aware has never played a champ or prem game, than Abraham who score 20 plus champ goals last season?

I was talking more of future potential.

Not quite what I meant, but how well did Abraham do when he stepped up to the prem? Will Maupay be any better?

I see masses of potential in Connelly, no doubt though none of that matters as the only stat we care about is goals.

I we're looking at another forward for stupid money I'd sooner we went for McBurnie, but Potter should be the judge of that, if we don't I'd say it's for good reason.

My issue is we tend to play one striker (I know under Potter that may change but I'd be surprised if we went two up top in most games), we have four/five. We also play one RB, we have one fit. I'm sure we should no longer be looking at putting square pegs in round holes. A Third/Forth choice forward or a RB to challenge Montoya? In my head I know what makes the team stronger.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Fair answer, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] interpreted your post better than I. :thumbsup:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
You don’t belong here. That was a reasoned, well researched and sensible post. It was also excellent.

And what is the common denominator with the upswing in McBurnie’s form? Potter.

You’d be surprised what playing for a manager who has faith in you can do. I personally would like to see them develop together.

Why isn’t there room for both? As sure as I am I’d love Connolly to get some Prem game time it might benefit him to play a season in Championship as well.

Yeah i did think that, i remember a few on here raving about him last season, but i just dont see it at all, i remember him playing for Swansea in their last premier league season and thinking how crap he was, ok last season he certainly found the net plenty of times, maybe that is Potters influence, but if so, then it shouldn't take much to make decent strikers out of what we have already as they are better footballers already, hypothetical, i know but drop Andone or Locadia into the championship and i would put money on both outscoring McBurnie, especially if they had the excellent Daniel James supplying the opportunities.

While i dont see potential in McBurnie, i do see plenty in Maupay, all about opinions and im not the guy making the decisions, Potter is and if he thinks McBurnie will score enough goals in the premier league to spend possibly £20 million on him, then fair enough its his decisions that will keep him managing a premier league club......or not.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yeah i did think that, i remember a few on here raving about him last season, but i just dont see it at all, i remember him playing for Swansea in their last premier league season and thinking how crap he was, ok last season he certainly found the net plenty of times, maybe that is Potters influence, but if so, then it shouldn't take much to make decent strikers out of what we have already as they are better footballers already, hypothetical, i know but drop Andone or Locadia into the championship and i would put money on both outscoring McBurnie, especially if they had the excellent Daniel James supplying the opportunities.

While i dont see potential in McBurnie, i do see plenty in Maupay, all about opinions and im not the guy making the decisions, Potter is and if he thinks McBurnie will score enough goals in the premier league to spend possibly £20 million on him, then fair enough its his decisions that will keep him managing a premier league club......or not.

Andone would score 30+ at that level. He's a decent striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here