David Ornstein

Other/Local
Andy Naylor - Albion
Liam Twomey - Chelsea
Phil Hay - Leeds
James Pearce - Liverpool
Sam Lee - Man City
Tim Spiers - Wolves

Daniel Taylor is quite a signing. He’s a fantastic reporter and journalist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So is Amy Lawrence. I'm quite peed off at the thought of them both leaving the Grauniad if true.

True. Hopefully Barney Ronay remains.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
True. Hopefully Barney Ronay remains.

Though I am really sad that the Guardian reporters are off, the real coup is Ornstein.

His contacts within the top 6 in the UK are ridiculous and he always beats everyone to the punch for correct information.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Daniel Taylor is quite a signing. He’s a fantastic reporter and journalist.

So is Amy Lawrence. I'm quite peed off at the thought of them both leaving the Grauniad if true.

Though I am really sad that the Guardian reporters are off, the real coup is Ornstein.

His contacts within the top 6 in the UK are ridiculous and he always beats everyone to the punch for correct information.

Given the calibre of the reporters and writers they’re signing up I’m almost certain I’ll sign up for this. I think it will be a success.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I think it will be a success.

1. I rather hope it isn't, selfishly. Granted, I'm only a casual reader of sports writing and am in the "most unlikely to pay to go over a paywall" group, but if the internet has taught me anything, it's that a. if any writing is good enough, it'll turn up somewhere at some point, and therefore b. nothing is so important you need to read it now.

2. I rather hope it is. It wouldn't bode well if those writers were unemployed in a year or two. Which reminds me of James Lawton, the Barry Davies of the print world, being made redundant from the Independent and ending up at the Daily Mail. Not to criticise the DM's sport coverage, but you'd want good writers found in more universal places?

3. I don't know what to think, but if there's a good article about Brighton, can someone post it on here? :thumbsup:

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
According to Buzzfeed, the Athlete have poached the following, so far:

The Guardian
Daniel Taylor
Amy Lawrence
Dominic Fifield
Stuart James

Daily Mail
Laura Williamson
Laurie Whitwell
Adam Crafton

Times
Alex Kay-Jelski
Oliver Kay
George Caulkin

BBC
David Ornstein

Other/Local
Andy Naylor - Albion
Liam Twomey - Chelsea
Phil Hay - Leeds
James Pearce - Liverpool
Sam Lee - Man City
Tim Spiers - Wolves

Wow that's quite a list. Ornstein is huge. Must be a huge outlay to get them all in

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The Argus on-line doesn't really tell you anything though, I've stopped checking it. There's a big headline, say, "Albion still looking to make new signings", and then the 'article' underneath reads something like "Albion manager Graham Potter confirmed that the Albion were still looking to make new signings before the end of the transfer window. Speaking at the Lancing training complex yesterday he said 'We're still looking to make some new signings before the end of the transfer window.'"

If this was in the Argus I think it would be an improvement on some of their so called "exclusives". It is also appears to be grammatically correct with no spelling mistakes, a huge improvement on actual Argus reports. Way back when the Argus used to be a great paper,with proper local journos doing a great job, but now the printed version is awful, mainly made up of rehashed stories, non events, and adverts. The on line version is now so full of slow loading adverts that it is almost impossible to view it. In common with a lot of online publising it consists of a couple lines, advert, another couple lines, advert and so on. I gave up trying to read anything on it long ago.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
If this was in the Argus I think it would be an improvement on some of their so called "exclusives". It is also appears to be grammatically correct with no spelling mistakes, a huge improvement on actual Argus reports. Way back when the Argus used to be a great paper,with proper local journos doing a great job, but now the printed version is awful, mainly made up of rehashed stories, non events, and adverts. The on line version is now so full of slow loading adverts that it is almost impossible to view it. In common with a lot of online publising it consists of a couple lines, advert, another couple lines, advert and so on. I gave up trying to read anything on it long ago.

It's gone the way of most local papers sadly. There are lots of factors but basically the advertising has mostly gone to online competitors and people have got out of the habit of paying for journalism. The sums don't add up any more, which is why content is usually so poor both in print and online.

I suspect there is a business model lurking that could combine the immediacy of the internet with quality, perhaps paid-for, local journalism. But nobody seems to have stumbled upon it yet as far as I can see, though some of the magazines that have sprung up in some areas are pretty good. Viva Lewes is nice.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
According to Buzzfeed, the Athlete have poached the following, so far:

The Guardian
Daniel Taylor
Amy Lawrence
Dominic Fifield
Stuart James

Daily Mail
Laura Williamson
Laurie Whitwell
Adam Crafton

Times
Alex Kay-Jelski
Oliver Kay
George Caulkin

BBC
David Ornstein

Other/Local
Andy Naylor - Albion
Liam Twomey - Chelsea
Phil Hay - Leeds
James Pearce - Liverpool
Sam Lee - Man City
Tim Spiers - Wolves

It is incredible how many big name journo’s they have recruited. A few more seem to have sent their goodbye tweet out since this list went out also. Their financial resources must be huge.

It’s going to be really interesting to see if it is a success. As a sucker for sports stories, with the quality of journalist they have recruited and being interested in sports media generally, I will definitely be signing up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1. I rather hope it isn't, selfishly. Granted, I'm only a casual reader of sports writing and am in the "most unlikely to pay to go over a paywall" group, but if the internet has taught me anything, it's that a. if any writing is good enough, it'll turn up somewhere at some point, and therefore b. nothing is so important you need to read it now.

True. But in reply to bullets a and b, people are prepared to pay for quality, ease-of-access and/or immediacy. You see this every where from Speedy Boarding on EasyJet to newspaper subscriptions to Spotify Premium.

I note the rest of your post as well, very fair comments.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Argus on-line doesn't really tell you anything though, I've stopped checking it. There's a big headline, say, "Albion still looking to make new signings", and then the 'article' underneath reads something like "Albion manager Graham Potter confirmed that the Albion were still looking to make new signings before the end of the transfer window. Speaking at the Lancing training complex yesterday he said 'We're still looking to make some new signings before the end of the transfer window.'"

I have stopped bothering with the Argus because it's a buggy, ad-riddled mess that slows my PC down.

If they moved to a newer, cleaner, easier-to-view website I'd probably browse it occasionally.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It's gone the way of most local papers sadly. There are lots of factors but basically the advertising has mostly gone to online competitors and people have got out of the habit of paying for journalism. The sums don't add up any more, which is why content is usually so poor both in print and online.

I suspect there is a business model lurking that could combine the immediacy of the internet with quality, perhaps paid-for, local journalism. But nobody seems to have stumbled upon it yet as far as I can see, though some of the magazines that have sprung up in some areas are pretty good. Viva Lewes is nice.

They don't help themselves with publishing half truths and untruths as 'facts' so the print media, possibly all forms of media, have become a joke.

Take the recent Sun article on Dunky. All done and dusted on his £45m transfer to Leicester.

Years ago in the written paper 'hayday' they abused their privileges and had their own 'god given' right to publish anything they like about anyone they want to and truth and facts be dammed.

You can only cry wolf so many times before it comes and bites you in the arse.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
They don't help themselves with publishing half truths and untruths as 'facts' so the print media, possibly all forms of media, have become a joke.

Take the recent Sun article on Dunky. All done and dusted on his £45m transfer to Leicester.

Years ago in the written paper 'hayday' they abused their privileges and had their own 'god given' right to publish anything they like about anyone they want to and truth and facts be dammed.

You can only cry wolf so many times before it comes and bites you in the arse.

I used to work on local papers and although we often made mistakes, it was extremely rare for stuff to get made up. (I won't pretend it didn't happen. The picture of the East Dean puma was a cardboard cut-out.)

Us local journos sometimes felt a bit peed off that some people tarred us with the same brush as the tabloid hacks and various notorious freelancers, who invented stories all the time, sometimes wrecking lives in the process.

So yes, in some ways the print media has had its come-uppance. But it's been replaced by a cacophony of digital information, which is full of even bigger lies and distortions, unless you're very careful about where you source your news, local, national or international.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Paul Hayward is unreal. He manages to make it seem so effortless, and he's such a great bloke too. Henry at least has the good manners to look as if he's concentrating.

I love Barney Ronay. Incredible way with words. His descriptions of Andy Carroll still make me laugh, several years after reading them:

'Or maybe the header for the third, notable for the way Carroll seems to engulf Héctor Bellerín completely as they wait for the ball to drop, clattering down on top of him like a vast mahogany Victorian bookcase toppling off the wall'

'The suggestion is Roy Hodgson may now consider “taking him to France”. Because this is what you do with Carroll. You don’t select him. You “take him”, you ship him out, like mobilising some particularly fearsome piece of weaponry, battering at the container walls as the ships leave Dover, peering out at the cowering villagers as the colony thunders south through Normandy'.

'The last two World Cup finals were won with extra-time goals created not by hoofing it up to some great elbow-jabbing goal-zeppelin'.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I love Barney Ronay. Incredible way with words. His descriptions of Andy Carroll still make me laugh, several years after reading them:

'Or maybe the header for the third, notable for the way Carroll seems to engulf Héctor Bellerín completely as they wait for the ball to drop, clattering down on top of him like a vast mahogany Victorian bookcase toppling off the wall'

'The suggestion is Roy Hodgson may now consider “taking him to France”. Because this is what you do with Carroll. You don’t select him. You “take him”, you ship him out, like mobilising some particularly fearsome piece of weaponry, battering at the container walls as the ships leave Dover, peering out at the cowering villagers as the colony thunders south through Normandy'.

'The last two World Cup finals were won with extra-time goals created not by hoofing it up to some great elbow-jabbing goal-zeppelin'.

I wouldn’t pay 2 bob to read such rubbish, just someone trying too hard to be amusing and failing miserably

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

I really enjoy him too; he is the antithesis of the Sky/Brass Eye approach, and finds the line between 'sport' and 'it's only football'. His description of de Bruyne's cross for their FA Cup goal against us:

"A cross as good as this is often described as “an invitation to score”. This wasn’t so much an invitation as a personalised vellum-bound VIP ticket, a series of increasingly desperate and needy follow-up letters, a banner flown above the ground."

was pretty much perfect.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Interesting that Andy Naylor has now left the Argus, the Athletic clearly hasn't launched (yet) but he's continuing to report/comment about the Albion via Twitter. (he's now AndyNaylorBHAFC rather than [MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]naylorArgus which i guess heralds his intentions).
Presumably tweeting about their local beat (for free) is part of their model as well as plugs to sign up etc.

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorBHAFC/status/1155122678933663744

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Interesting that Andy Naylor has now left the Argus, the Athletic clearly hasn't launched (yet) but he's continuing to report/comment about the Albion via Twitter. (he's now AndyNaylorBHAFC rather than [MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]naylorArgus which i guess heralds his intentions).
Presumably tweeting about their local beat (for free) is part of their model as well as plugs to sign up etc.

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorBHAFC/status/1155122678933663744

You better watch out, he may be after your job

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here