Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jo Brand Comment

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
She never has been funny, now she is becoming the unacceptable face of far left extremism, hate, and general bigotry of those unable to accept the result of a referendum.
Pathetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As opposed to Farage who is the face of far right extremism and who had his own call to arms not that long ago if he didn't get what he wanted?

The key difference - one is a "politician" and one is a "comedian". Who is really causing more damage with their words?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Quite a juxtaposition here.... I'd say "burn her" but the amount of fossil fuel needed to do so would be downright neglectful.

Now this is interesting; your "joke" statement is exactly the equivalent of what Jo Brand said. I don't imagine anyone thinks that you really believe she should be burnt, but if you do then they you are clearly mentally unwell.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As opposed to Farage who is the face of far right extremism and who had his own call to arms not that long ago if he didn't get what he wanted?

The key difference - one is a "politician" and one is a "comedian". Who is really causing more damage with their words?

Jo Brand.
Farage was using a pretty clear metaphor, whereas Jo Brand was making an unfunny 'joke' bordering on the crass, given the violence and threats that some politicians have had to put up with.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Jo Brand.
Farage was using a pretty clear metaphor, whereas Jo Brand was making an unfunny 'joke' bordering on the crass, given the violence and threats that some politicians have had to put up with.

As opposed to an actual politician having a rally cry to thousands of people (if not millions) to engage in violence to ensure they get what they want from all of the political classes and to force said desires on the rest of the public? Your argument, in essence, seems to be that you'd prefer civil war with potentially millions dead in comparison to potentially one or two getting burnt by acid? Honestly, you've got to be trolling because what you're saying makes absolutely zero sense.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't imagine anyone thinks that you really believe that Jo Brand is causing more damage with her words, but if you do then they you are clearly mentally unwell.

I am fine, thanks!
Mentally unwell? I think you will find that my posts are pretty moderate.
Seriously, I don't think the 'words' of either are causing much harm in the real world that most sane and balanced people exist, but I do feel that Brand's comments are pretty crass at this time.
P.S.Don't exaggerate re mentally unwell, that is quite pathetic.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What an absolute load of shit this is, and a complete waste of police time and effort. It was a joke, she's a comedian. "Incitement to violence" - do me a favour.

Nothing more to see here people, move along.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As opposed to an actual politician having a rally cry to thousands of people (if not millions) to engage in violence to ensure they get what they want from all of the political classes and to force said desires on the rest of the public? Your argument, in essence, seems to be that you'd prefer civil war with potentially millions dead in comparison to potentially one or two getting burnt by acid? Honestly, you've got to be trolling because what you're saying makes absolutely zero sense.

For Pete's sake Sussex, get real!
Do you really think Farage's remark would result in millions dying through civil war and this is something I would approve of?
Don't be pathetic, you are letting your political views get in the way of common sense.
By the way, Brand's remark seems to have caused rather more of a stir than Farage's obvious metaphor, don't they?
I wonder why.
Got to go out now, so farewell for a bit!

By the way, before you start, I voted to remain and I am no supporter of 'old Forage'!

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What an absolute load of shit this is, and a complete waste of police time and effort. It was a joke, she's a comedian. "Incitement to violence" - do me a favour.

Nothing more to see here people, move along.

I do agree with you, narly, but it could be considered to be an 'ill considered' joke in these hysterical times.
The point I have been trying to make to Sussex and oneillco is that, neither the remarks by Farage or Brand, warrant the shitfest that has started, but they take the view that Farage's 'Dad's Army' call to arms metaphor was to be taken seriously and Brand's remark wasn't.
I reckon that is bollocks, neither remark could be taken seriously by anyone with half a brain, and I believe their judgement has been coloured by their political outlook.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Exactly. The best thing to come out of this is the massive variation in what some will take literally and then ignore, dependant upon political or personal tastes. Just be consistent.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
For Pete's sake Sussex, get real!
Do you really think Farage's remark would result in millions dying through civil war and this is something I would approve of?
Don't be pathetic, you are letting your political views get in the way of common sense.
By the way, Brand's remark seems to have caused rather more of a stir than Farage's obvious metaphor, don't they?
I wonder why.
Got to go out now, so farewell for a bit!

By the way, before you start, I voted to remain and I am no supporter of 'old Forage'!

Do you really think a comedian's comment is going to lead to loads of MPs having acid thrown over them? Because that's what you seem to be suggesting... whereas the far right movement that this country is currently seeing rise has led to increased levels of violence, hate and racism.

And of course it's caused a stir. The far right are desperate for anything to latch on to at the moment to enhance their case for extremism. The mere fact that Farage himself condemned what she said is a prime example of that utter hypocrisy, but also of the media attention they're getting.

But let's just be clear, Farage is in an actual position of power due to his media exposure as a politician in the current far right movement. Jo Brand is a comedian. History is full of politicians making decisions and saying things that have massive knock-on effects for normal people. Yet I don't ever remember the comments of a comedian leading to any form of war or political strife. Yet you have, somehow, managed to come to the utterly ridiculous conclusion that her comments are more dangerous than Farage's.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Clearly double standards as to what is acceptable to be said to which person. If she had said it again'st Corbyn this whole thread would be in a leftie meltdown. Simple fact is she, you cannot say this sort of thing in the media now especially in view of all the acid attacks this year. What would she feel if someone actually did it ? She should be binned off our TV screens permanently for this comment alone. It is not big, clever or funny

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Do you really think a comedian's comment is going to lead to loads of MPs having acid thrown over them?

Much as the way positive statements change behaviour by normalising things such as same-sex marriage, trans rights, etc, small negative comments normalise bad behaviours.

Not saying that JB's comments will cause some to through acid at an MP but is does form part of a drip drip message that some people deserve to have acid thrown at them.

I am neither supportive of Farage OR Brand but I do think that these things in a stand up act in a comedy club can be laughed off, but on more mainstream media they are dangerous.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember her doing a joke a few years ago.

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I think it's through his left breast pocket with a kitchen knife.

Now, as the 'victim' of this joke, I am not outraged and I don't hold her responsible for all stabbings in the UK. This latest joke was made on a Radio 4 satirical show called Heresy for an audience who knew what they wanted and were getting.

I can guarantee the vast majority of outraged, offended posters on this thread never even listened to it :facepalm:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I remember her doing a joke a few years ago.

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I think it's through his left breast pocket with a kitchen knife.

Now, as the 'victim' of this joke, I am not outraged and I don't hold her responsible for all stabbings in the UK. This latest joke was made on a Radio 4 satirical show called Heresy for an audience who knew what they wanted and were getting.

I can guarantee the vast majority of outraged, offended posters on this thread never even listened to it :facepalm:

A general comment, or joke as some might call it, butters no parsnips. When it is directed towards a high profile figure after a specific incident, totally different ballgame. Similarly, if she made that quip the day after a bloke had been stabbed by his missus, then correctly she should be had up for it. Timing and context matter, as do specifics.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

What justification can you give that people had to listen to it? It was said, it is out there in social media, why on earth does it need to have been listened to?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Clearly double standards as to what is acceptable to be said to which person. If she had said it again'st Corbyn this whole thread would be in a leftie meltdown. Simple fact is she, you cannot say this sort of thing in the media now especially in view of all the acid attacks this year. What would she feel if someone actually did it ? She should be binned off our TV screens permanently for this comment alone. It is not big, clever or funny

I don’t think she would, the Beeb would be plotting her up for a Damehood, all things said, she is an unfunny, nasty piece of work, loves to look down her nose at the working classes, we’re not as clever as her you see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A general comment, or joke as some might call it, butters no parsnips. When it is directed towards a high profile figure after a specific incident, totally different ballgame.

Just as well she didn't then. Nobody specific was mentioned at all, it's Nigel the Snowflake who has decided it was about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here