Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Typical anecdote I'm afraid - explore deep enough into the logic and many Leave supporters' arguments fall away.
what's your argument to a democratic vote that instructed the Government to the take the UK out the EU regardless of peoples views on why they voted the way they did , YOU'RE COMING ACROSS AS A DICTATOR a typical i know better than you type but to be honest you're just a bad loser who still can't come to terms with the referendum result , suck it up Lever
regards
DR

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Oh get off your high horse. I have never heard an argument for leaving that couldn't be debunked or shown to based on falsehoods. Ironincally, there is one argument that stands up; If you just don't like foreigners.

i think it's a particular kind of foreigner that has given a lot of people the heeby jeebies.....!! you know , the type that left the middle east in their tens of thousands on boats and got off in the Greek and Med islands and are now spread throughout Europe and feck knows where .......that was a massive part of the leave vote and even though it is not a topic du jour with the media it is still very much a live issue......i must admit that i am now of the opinion that leaving will do more harm than good but there are certain issues that need addressing and immigration and who gets to say who gets to go where and who doesn't is a massive part of that .....Merkel & Macron have made a huge mess and want us to share the load ......do we have an obligation to do so..??

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
i think it's a particular kind of foreigner that has given a lot of people the heeby jeebies.....!! you know , the type that left the middle east in their tens of thousands on boats and got off in the Greek and Med islands and are now spread throughout Europe and feck knows where .......that was a massive part of the leave vote and even though it is not a topic du jour with the media it is still very much a live issue......i must admit that i am now of the opinion that leaving will do more harm than good but there are certain issues that need addressing and immigration and who gets to say who gets to go where and who doesn't is a massive part of that .....Merkel & Macron have made a huge mess and want us to share the load ......do we have an obligation to do so..??

Could you just clarify this please. Are you saying that the arrival of Middle Eastern refugees in Europe was a major reason for many people to vote for Britain to leave the EU, even though, as non-EU citizens, they would not have the right to enter the UK? And what in your view was Macron's role in this?

Jan 30, 2008

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Could you just clarify this please. Are you saying that the arrival of Middle Eastern refugees in Europe was a major reason for many people to vote for Britain to leave the EU, even though, as non-EU citizens, they would not have the right to enter the UK? And what in your view was Macron's role in this?

i think it put the wind up a lot of people yes.....the perceived outcome would have been that a lot of them were headed for the U.K or at least to Calais to get in the queue , Macron has been implicated by his deference to Merkel .......who should go down in history as the woman who sunk Europe.....but she won't ....it will be the U.K that gets the blame for it....just like everything else....!!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

So I clicked through to the YT channel this is from (this particular video was uploaded 8 years ago by the way).

Here's a couple of other titles liked by the same channel.

How Zionists Divide and Conquer - by David Duke no less. You know, KKK David Duke.

Do Jews Control the Media? -- The LA Times Says Yes! - yep, David Duke again.

Not sure why you ever changed your name from Das Reich really.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
i think it put the wind up a lot of people yes.....the perceived outcome would have been that a lot of them were headed for the U.K or at least to Calais to get in the queue , Macron has been implicated by his deference to Merkel .......who should go down in history as the woman who sunk Europe.....but she won't ....it will be the U.K that gets the blame for it....just like everything else....!!

I think you're right to the extent that Farage and his cohorts realised that if they could highlight any situation that involved immigrants, even if the immigrants were not from the EU and their attempts to get into the UK had nothing whatsoever to do with our membership of the EU then this would ring bells with a section of the electorate. It was a basic appeal to a 'fear of the outsider', the oldest sales pitch in the snake oil salesman's locker.

I know one person who voted Leave because of all the black people in London, I have a family member who did the same because of Russians putting property prices up - and of course we can all see the witterings of the inane Ppf on this thread.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think you're right to the extent that Farage and his cohorts realised that if they could highlight any situation that involved immigrants, even if the immigrants were not from the EU and their attempts to get into the UK had nothing whatsoever to do with our membership of the EU then this would ring bells with a section of the electorate. It was a basic appeal to a 'fear of the outsider', the oldest sales pitch in the snake oil salesman's locker.

I know one person who voted Leave because of all the black people in London, I have a family member who did the same because of Russians putting property prices up - and of course we can all see the withering of the inane Ppf on this thread.

I always love how remainers come up with examples of why people voted leave ...... people clearly on the fringe from an opinion perspective and use this to dismiss the reasons that a vast majority of people that voted to leave did so.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I always love how remainers come up with examples of why people voted leave ...... people clearly on the fringe from an opinion perspective and use this to dismiss the reasons that a vast majority of people that voted to leave did so.

I'm not sure Farage's infamous Nazi inspired line of immigrants poster was just aimed at the fringes. Think we can all agree people voted Leave for many different reasons - hence the problems we have in leaving.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

And I always love it how Leavers pick up an aside and ignore the substantive point.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm not sure Farage's infamous Nazi inspired line of immigrants poster was just aimed at the fringes. Think we can all agree people voted Leave for many different reasons - hence the problems we have in leaving.

I agree about the many different reasons. I mentioned a family members' problems with the Russians and offer as a counterpoint a retired friend who argues cogently (and persuasively) about the EU's governance issues, the reason for him voting out. It's a well-founded reason.
On the other hand there are the 20 percent of Leave voters who were driven by reasons that had nothing to do with the EU, according to University of Warwick research.

The reasons people voted out, and as a consequence the sort of Brexit they would be happy with, are so varied that even the most collegiate and open-minded group of MPs would have trouble satisfying a majority of them. They surely need more specific guidance on the options before us.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I did bother and to some extent it appears that I chose a bad day to write that post! But I reckon my estimated ratio has only slipped a little. It's when tempers fray that the name-calling starts. Perhaps it's the hot weather...…………….But since we scraped a point in today's match I confidently expect that a mellow state-of-mind will characterise all on the thread - if only for about 10 minutes.

Thank you for that fair and considered response.I think most of the abuse tends to arise from 2 or 3 rather inadequate posters on the remain side,which I suppose shouldn't be responded to, as it just feeds their trollism.Perhaps they will grow up one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here