Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris hughton news conference

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What Keown said. It was on MOTD 2 at 18.40 or thereabouts (its on iPlayer from midnight tonight !)

Jenas "I look at Cardiff and i'm optimistic they could get a couple of wins..."
Keown " ...I'd sooner have the points in the bag. Southampton are going to be ok. But Brighton are living dangerously, because they've stopped playing, literally downed tools in the hope that the results go [for them] elsewhere. "

The three games pre-Wolves I think he could be excused for thinking that? Personally found the performance at Wolves very uplifting because I had my doubts about the player’s mentality before that game too.

Absolutely no idea why he’d say that after the Wolves game though.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The three games pre-Wolves I think he could be excused for thinking that? Personally found the performance at Wolves very uplifting because I had my doubts about the player’s mentality before that game too.

Because replying with a well thought out, fact containing piece is not something he is capable off.

The majority of pundits only comment on the last game's form and use that as evidence to back up their shocking claims.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Yep. He wasn't talking about the Wolves game , it was a relegation chat post Liverpool/Cardiff highlights, so might just have been a reference to the Cardiff/Bournemouth defeats.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What Keown said. It was on MOTD 2 at 18.40 or thereabouts (its on iPlayer from midnight tonight !)

Jenas "I look at Cardiff and i'm optimistic they could get a couple of wins..."
Keown " ...I'd sooner have the points in the bag. Southampton are going to be ok. But Brighton are living dangerously, because they've stopped playing, literally downed tools in the hope that the results go [for them] elsewhere. "

2 thoughts:

1) In the context, it sounds like a misuse of the phrase 'downed tools'. Typically that suggests protest, like the players were stubbornly refusing to do as instructed by their boss. In the context of the quote above it sounds very much like he simply meant we'd stopped trying to play and are just assuming other results will go our way.
2) "literally" downed tools? Literally! :facepalm:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
2 thoughts:

1) In the context, it sounds like a misuse of the phrase 'downed tools'. Typically that suggests protest, like the players were stubbornly refusing to do as instructed by their boss. In the context of the quote above it sounds very much like he simply meant we'd stopped trying to play and are just assuming other results will go our way.
2) "literally" downed tools? Literally! :facepalm:

he also , to be fair, says upfront that Brighton are in a better place with the points (and GD) in the bag.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Leon's right to the extent that we appear to have stopped trying to win games and seem more focused on trying not to lose whereas Cardiff are giving it a right good go. Two very contrasting styles based on points in the bag and the need to get points.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Leon's right to the extent that we appear to have stopped trying to win games and seem more focused on trying not to lose whereas Cardiff are giving it a right good go. Two very contrasting styles based on points in the bag and the need to get points.

when did Cardiff "give it a right good go" v Liverpool ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

To be fair, I think we went for it against Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff, only we came undone through poor offensive play, decision making and ball retention when we were trying to get at them. The first goal conceded in each of those crushed our fragile confidence and we didn't recover in each of the games, completely collapsing in 2 of them.

We simply had to go to Wolves and keep a clean sheet. We had to arrest that run, and defend with bodies on the line. What that does to the fragile confidence, only the next 6 days will tell, but it should, hopefully set themselves up with a bit of belief.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Be funny if he came out with his post match conference by mistake.

"We'll learn from this"

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

The Wolves result is a little misleading, the fact they committed no fouls indicates they were not playing at 100% commitment, yet we still only just clung on for a much needed point.

Izqueirdo at one point refused to chase a Kayal pass, leading Kayal to shout at Chris, who did nothing, unwilling to ask Izquierdo to do anything but back up Bong. So uninspiring.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
To be fair, I think we went for it against Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff, only we came undone through poor offensive play, decision making and ball retention when we were trying to get at them. The first goal conceded in each of those crushed our fragile confidence and we didn't recover in each of the games, completely collapsing in 2 of them.

We simply had to go to Wolves and keep a clean sheet. We had to arrest that run, and defend with bodies on the line. What that does to the fragile confidence, only the next 6 days will tell, but it should, hopefully set themselves up with a bit of belief.

This is how I interpreted those games too. The first goal completely killed us. I'm sure we had every intention of going for the win and 3 points, but as soon as the opposition scored the heads went down, which is worrying. I suspect the same would have happened at Wolves if one of their first half chances had gone in.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Because replying with a well thought out, fact containing piece is not something he is capable off.

The majority of pundits only comment on the last game's form and use that as evidence to back up their shocking claims.

Feels a bit like NSC...

It's always striking how the MOTD crew talk as though they have watched the entirety of each game which they obviously haven't.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here