Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Recruitment Dept

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It could say Mr Hughton is incapable of successfully integrating new players into his way of thinking.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We need to ditch the 4-3-3. Locadia will have to leave with the system as I can’t see him adjusting from Dutch football.

We need a real number 10 to deputise for Groß.

We need a replacement for Ajax bound Pröpper.

We need a replacement for Bruno.

We need a replacement for Murray.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
We need to ditch the 4-3-3. Locadia will have to leave with the system as I can’t see him adjusting from Dutch football.

We need a real number 10 to deputise for Groß.

We need a replacement for Ajax bound Pröpper.

We need a replacement for Bruno.

We need a replacement for Murray.

Mcallister
Kayal
Montoya
Mitrovic
Job done

Kman

Mar 30, 2019
What players have not been given a chance exactly?

No one is saying they haven't been given a chance! What are they supposed to do when all we do is defend? They've clearely been instructed to pass the ball back to Dunk and Duffy so they can knock it and hope for something good to happen. We have no idea how to attack and it shows... and it doesnt fall on the players.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm surprised that the same manager played with such flair in the Championship compared to the negative football we have endured in the Premier League.
To just say that the gulf in standard between the two divisions is so huge that we were forced to play so negatively doesn't completely add up.
It almost seems like a complete change of personality.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
No one is saying they haven't been given a chance! What are they supposed to do when all we do is defend? They've clearely been instructed to pass the ball back to Dunk and Duffy so they can knock it and hope for something good to happen. We have no idea how to attack and it shows... and it doesnt fall on the players.

Not true- plenty saying these duds haven’t played enough or in right positions etc etc but the reality is that they have been given a chance and absolutely failed miserably, so much so that we’re still relying on the old guard that got us up because the majority of our new signings aren’t any better or actually worse!! - no excuses - not good enough and as I’ve said on previous threads if Burke was at the helm in recruitment then there would justifiable uproar but I think Winstanely and co have got away with it

Kman

Mar 30, 2019
Not true- plenty saying these duds haven’t played enough or in right positions etc etc but the reality is that they have been given a chance and absolutely failed miserably, so much so that we’re still relying on the old guard that got us up because the majority of our new signings aren’t any better or actually worse!! - no excuses - not good enough and as I’ve said on previous threads if Burke was at the helm in recruitment then there would justifiable uproar but I think Winstanely and co have got away with it

Sorry, but i do not agree. If Ali J or Locadia played the way Izzy played today then everyone on here would go for their heads. The expectations for our new signings despite the Ultra defensive style that we play is kinda sad IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just out of interest does anyone know how close to the current circumstances was Hughtons reign at Norwich and to a lesser extent Newcastle.

Sure we were all warned about his pragmatic approach, not that we believed them for 2 full seasons.
We knew we were in for defence first approach.

I'm just wondering about today's developments:-

As the clock was running down in Norwich did CH also bin off all his new signings.
&
Did they end that season top of the shitehouse league?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sorry, but i do not agree. If Ali J or Locadia played the way Izzy played today then everyone on here would go for their heads. The expectations for our new signings despite the Ultra defensive style that we play is kinda sad IMO.

Izzy definitely in ‘Jury out’ category

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think this is the Crux of the matter, the new 'disco Stu' flair players haven't been allowed to go for it. They're not good enough for the CH plan of sitting deep and defending, because it's not what they've ever done before. So they appear to be failures.

We know CH ( very occaisionally) goes for it, not full disco, maybe 'average white band' and we tonked a few sides in the championship. He was confident we had a midfield/defence to recover if we lost possession, without gettingg punished.

Now . . . A balancing act. This year we've been found out and have no alternative the managers brave enough to try, or the players ( in the managers opinion) are capable of. Hence the decline.

AJ on the right with a top striker, pulling defenders, as well as a faster/fitter Gross, and a 28 year old Bruno behind him, could possibly make AK look like the ginger prince on downers, or be even better than Steve Penney on a non injured really good day . . . We may never know . . .

I'm surprised that the same manager played with such flair in the Championship compared to the negative football we have endured in the Premier League.
To just say that the gulf in standard between the two divisions is so huge that we were forced to play so negatively doesn't completely add up.
It almost seems like a complete change of personality.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I think this is the Crux of the matter, the new 'disco Stu' flair players haven't been allowed to go for it. They're not good enough for the CH plan of sitting deep and defending, because it's not what they've ever done before. So they appear to be failures.

We know CH ( very occaisionally) goes for it, not full disco, maybe 'average white band' and we tonked a few sides in the championship. He was confident we had a midfield/defence to recover if we lost possession, without gettingg punished.

Now . . . A balancing act. This year we've been found out and have no alternative the managers brave enough to try, or the players ( in the managers opinion) are capable of. Hence the decline.

AJ on the right with a top striker, pulling defenders, as well as a faster/fitter Gross, and a 28 year old Bruno behind him, could possibly make AK look like the ginger prince on downers, or be even better than Steve Penney on a non injured really good day . . . We may never know . . .

I fookin adored Steve Penney.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is a very powerful statement from the manager, and one that the club heirarchy would do well not to ignore.

Although to rectify it in Hughton's favour would require:-

Losing a fair few millions on last summers transfer
Then
Investing even more millions on this summers transfers.

With the potential of still starting games in April 2020 with the safety blankets that are Murray, Bruno, Bong et al.

I'd guess there are 10's if not 100's of suitable managers who would love to work with Montoya, Bissouma, Locadia, Andone and Bernie inn the Premier League.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That is a very powerful statement from the manager, and one that the club heirarchy would do well not to ignore.
I don't 100% agree. There are good players amongst the new signings but the stats say otherwise. The downturn in fortune and results coincided with the introduction of the new players

I actually found myself actually watching the match today wanting them not to push forward because that's when we have conceded on the counter attack recently. Good to see another point on the board. Let's just try and stay up then internally let everyone take stock of what went wrong and what went well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here