Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Great summary by Radio Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That they are. To top it off we brought a number 10 who can score and create and play him deep where he offers no protection to the back 4 and play him alongside an even slower player in Stephens and also bring in a deep lying CM from an outstanding 2 years in the German top flight and decide he should play at 10.
The 3 together have been found out, Bournemouth in dire form showed how easy it was to get at the back 4 just by using quick players who have a bit of ability. Fraser Wilson king and Brooks were like kids in a sweetshop. Even Cardiff tonight brought their wingers off the line as they knew with the ace they had they could get straight through and at the back 4

Sadly .... you’re right about that too.

Even Cardiff, a Warnock team FFS, had pace all over the pitch and on the bench.

A necessity in the PL, but any NSC’er who mentions that in summer transfer windows, is criticised.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They said that very point, had always said we should have invested in January.

we did invest last summer, not right players for the tactics, and the change to new tactics doesnt have the supporting cast. i think Locadia will work out, has the physical presense and just needs correct position CF/no10. Andone was poor at weekend but for me first poor game. AJ... no, not right. problem as noted above is the midfield is slow, we sit soo deep in defense, then cant switch defense to attack. Stephens is great at breaking up play but not much else, Propper better further forward it there already. Gross way too slow so not an alternative. Bissouma decent addition, maybe with Kayal? its not simply the players though, its the way we play, exposes our weakness and no longer gives us enough defense to make up the points through draws and jammy wins. what happened to the team that beat Palace??

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
we did invest last summer, not right players for the tactics, and the change to new tactics doesnt have the supporting cast. i think Locadia will work out, has the physical presense and just needs correct position CF/no10. Andone was poor at weekend but for me first poor game. AJ... no, not right. problem as noted above is the midfield is slow, we sit soo deep in defense, then cant switch defense to attack. Stephens is great at breaking up play but not much else, Propper better further forward it there already. Gross way too slow so not an alternative. Bissouma decent addition, maybe with Kayal? its not simply the players though, its the way we play, exposes our weakness and no longer gives us enough defense to make up the points through draws and jammy wins. what happened to the team that beat Palace??

They felt, and they’d made this point in January, that offensively our squad lacked quality/pace up front, and the club should’ve dealt with that then.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
They said that very point, had always said we should have invested in January.
Total arrogance and complacency y the club to think we were ok relying on a 35 year olds goals with no real back up. The whole thing is a collective **** up and everyone needs to be taking responsibility.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

I’m staggered that there are posters on this board who seriously believe that Loco is anywhere good enough!!??, his signing sums up the whole shambles why we’re heading to the championship- sorry but seriously look at him - zero pace, no touch, lazy and completely immobile

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Seeing Stephens pass that ball out for a throw in on the half way line was pitiful. He looks scrambled.It's such a shame as we started the season really well.

Amazingly at Christmas we were talking about a possible highest ever finish. As for Stephens, well, words don't describe how bloody awful he is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We were doing fine until January. So the summer transfer window has little bearing. ..

It has a massive bearing given the FA Cup started, we had injuries and summer signings who clearly hadn’t settled. It sent a message to the players their positions were all safe.

Much of the talk has been about Stephens and new signings, but Dunk and Duffy’s form has also collapsed, we’ve lost the art of defending probably since the debacle away at Fulham.

Thinking we had enough up front with Murray, Andone and Locadia - I don’t recall many people not being worried about this in January. We’re reaping the reward of poor business last January, last summer and this January. Hughton has chopped and changed his selections and tactics, but the players either looked knackered or devoid of real belief. Dunk in particular has gone from England cap to mistake a game.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
It has a massive bearing given the FA Cup started, we had injuries and summer signings who clearly hadn’t settled. It sent a message to the players their positions were all safe.

Much of the talk has been about Stephens and new signings, but Dunk and Duffy’s form has also collapsed, we’ve lost the art of defending probably since the debacle away at Fulham.

Thinking we had enough up front with Murray, Andone and Locadia - I don’t recall many people not being worried about this in January. We’re reaping the reward of poor business last January, last summer and this January. Hughton has chopped and changed his selections and tactics, but the players either looked knackered or devoid of real belief. Dunk in particular has gone from England cap to mistake a game.

Very fair points, can't dispute that

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We have been sussed out by virtually every other team in this division and we have failed to change the way we play, in fact have become more and more predictable.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sadly .... you’re right about that too.

Even Cardiff, a Warnock team FFS, had pace all over the pitch and on the bench.

A necessity in the PL, but any NSC’er who mentions that in summer transfer windows, is criticised.

Been saying it for ages - the SINGLE biggest factor is our lack of pace especially in midfield and attack but clearly not something our recruitment team have understood since we have failed to sign anybody with it apart from Izzy who the jury is still very much out

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Surely number 7 in the list should be "we are predictable in every way". Throw-ins, corners, free kicks. We even do the same ****ing kick off every game

You can say that again. Every free-kick within 50 yards of their goal just pumped into the box for Dunk or Duffy to get their head on.

Every. Single. Time.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Been saying it for ages - the SINGLE biggest factor is our lack of pace especially in midfield and attack but clearly not something our recruitment team have understood since we have failed to sign anybody with it apart from Izzy who the jury is still very much out

Not knocking Murray for his lack of pace - he's 35 and knows his strengths - but it baffles me how slow Pascal Gross is. I know he's coming back from injury but I'd put money on Murray beating him in a 40-yard sprint.

Not my money, obviously.

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
Be fair we do vary our corners, there is the one that hits the first defender or the one that sails over everyones head to safety

We've actually got one of the best goals from set-pieces record in the league, so you're talking bollocks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
.It's such a shame as we started the season really well.

We really didn't. A couple of lucky results but the weaknesses were on full view-especially away from home. I'm struggling to remember more than a couple of games where I left The Amex thinking "Damn, we were good today".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Propper is on the brink of the Dutch first team and plays in a more advanced role for them - scores goals. Yet for us it seems like he gets a nosebleed if he crosses the halfway line.

And as for the Dutch league being rubbish, what was the Ajax score last night?

Something is badly wrong with our tactics. Hughton has a lot to answer for here. How many goals have our midfielders scored this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
We have been sussed out by virtually every other team in this division and we have failed to change the way we play, in fact have become more and more predictable.

You say we've been sussed out but that makes it sounds like they've all cottoned on to our ingenious tactical masterplan. Which we clearly don't have.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We spunked £50m on players who aren't worth £5m and also play players in unfamiliar roles to which they played at their previous clubs
Square pegs in round holes
I even remember him playing Sam Baldock in the right wing for ages !!!!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here