Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excellent transfer policy

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
We lose games. We will continue to lose games.
For all sorts of reasons.
We lost to Barnsley at home last season with Bridcutt, Barnes, and Buckley all playing.
and lost at home to Wigan with Ulloa, Upson, and Buckley in the squad.
Sometimes we lose. We will lose again this season with a full competitive squad.
Its fallacious to think its purely because we lost our first two matches because we hadn't got round to, for example, signing Danny Holla. Perhaps its because we have a new manager and the team were getting used to playing a new system, perhaps they had an off day, perhaps its because Crofts was unfortunate to get sent off against Sheff Weds, perhaps it was bad luck, perhaps Sheff Weds were better than we expected....
We'll lose again this season and the squad looks better now than it did 10 days ago but we its too simple to say our [lack of signings] meant we "spunked" 6 points up the wall. What happens when we next get defeated. What will we blame then ?

Last edited:

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Clayton was the DM target, if we had got him we wouldn't have Holla.

I'm not sure Clayton would have played the DM role here. On sat Holla just wanted to get it and give it, slot back inbetween the 2 CBs and generally break up any Bolton attacks: from what I've seen of Clayton he would want to get forward alot more. All irrelevant now I guess.

Your point is probably right tho, Clayton was the no.1 midfield signing and the reason why we didnt get Holla in earlier (whether we knew about him or not).

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We missed out on at least 3 players which were our 1st choices - Ward, Clayton, O's winger. The Ward one was especially embarrassing. These are just the ones we know about. However, feel free to continue deluding yourself. At least the club are now addressing the issue.

Haha, and you say I'm deluded? There was nothing wrong with the approaches!

Ward - he took an awful long time to decide whether to take up Burnleys offer, how are we to blame for that? Within a week we had a highly rated youngster from the Premiership to replace him for a year (at least). Did you see him on Saturday? Did you, I, or anyone in the crowd miss Ward?
Clayton - Again, these permanent transfers are a big move for the players. He decided to stay up north. Again, within a week we had a Dutch permiership player with bags of experience.
Os winger - who cares about O's winger!?

You're too embarrassed to say you got it wrong, let's face it. Clubs can't click their fingers and the player they want arrive next day. It's not a kids game.

Who's to say we would have won the first couple of games with a full squad? It was new tactics and that always takes a few games to iron out. Open your eyes, man.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I found it almost unbelievable that people lost their pooh over 15 points.
It's even more incredulous to do it about 6 points, when a maximum of 138 are available.

A full strength Albion squad will drop more than 6 'easy' points this season.
In an ideal world it'll also pick up more than 6 unexpected points.

Totally lost with that post. I'm going to have a lie down as it's given me a headache
I guess it might have helped if I mentioned the fact I was referencing this classic piece of moist cotton:-

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...tential-5-game-head-start&highlight=15+points

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=2378]Horses Arse[/MENTION] Warren Aspinall said he scouted Holla, last season.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm not sure Clayton would have played the DM role here. On sat Holla just wanted to get it and give it, slot back inbetween the 2 CBs and generally break up any Bolton attacks: from what I've seen of Clayton he would want to get forward alot more. All irrelevant now I guess.

Your point is probably right tho, Clayton was the no.1 midfield signing and the reason why we didnt get Holla in earlier (whether we knew about him or not).

Yep, I don't know his exact role but when I watched his first game, as sub, for Middlesbrough against Leeds he was playing just in front of the defence. Difficult for me to tell for sure just by watching the one game as a sub though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Time will tell I don t think stockdale or O grady look like good signings tbh and not sure at all about Hypia but time will tell

Page six and nobody has stepped up to question this particular statement? :facepalm:

O'Grady: time will tell, but I'd love to know what Stockdale has done to cause you such consternation. Who were you expecting in goal this season? Manuel Neuer?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Ward should have been signed months ago...end of.

But Wolves would have to have agreed a fee with us for that to happen. They didn't until the very end. If they were after half a million for a 30yr old defender, would that have been acceptable to you?

I liked Ward, but I wouldn't have liked the idea of us paying £500k for him. I'm happy to have moved on from that one and look forward to seeing how Joe Bennett gets on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Page six and nobody has stepped up to question this particular statement? :facepalm:

O'Grady: time will tell, but I'd love to know what Stockdale has done to cause you such consternation. Who were you expecting in goal this season? Manuel Neuer?
Edna loves David Edna loves David :lol:

It's hard to judge a keeper that has so far done nothing.
We could have played rush goalie and I doubt the table would be any different.

DS is, or is coached to be, rather keen to get the ball back in play, irrespective of the game situation.
As yet that hasn't cost us, but it's been close already, and it will bite him/the team on the bum soon.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Edna loves David Edna loves David :lol:

It's hard to judge a keeper that has so far done nothing.
We could have played rush goalie and I doubt the table would be any different.

DS is, or is coached to be, rather keen to get the ball back in play, irrespective of the game situation.
As yet that hasn't cost us, but it's been close already, and it will bite him/the team on the bum soon.

Of course we can't tell too much at this stage, but to suggest he looks like a "bad signing" is just wrong.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
[MENTION=2378]Horses Arse[/MENTION] Warren Aspinall said he scouted Holla, last season.

Well there you go. With the benefit go hindsight we should have got him in much sooner and ditched the idea of Clayton. Easy to say after the event of course but I cannot believe at Clayton would have had the impact that Holla has.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But Wolves would have to have agreed a fee with us for that to happen. They didn't until the very end. If they were after half a million for a 30yr old defender, would that have been acceptable to you?

I liked Ward, but I wouldn't have liked the idea of us paying £500k for him. I'm happy to have moved on from that one and look forward to seeing how Joe Bennett gets on.

But that's the thing, we should have withdrawn the offer a month ago and not played ball with them. It looks like it has worked out better for us with that deal failing, same as the Clayton one.

In hindsight it could be considered a mistake financially if we had signed them, and I think we have got better quality in because they chose to sign elsewhere.

I guess what I'm saying is our plan B was better than our plan A.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Joe Bennett's pass completion rate on Saturday was in the high 90% he also got an assist and had a header on target. Once he gets used to our system and becomes more marauding he will prove to be an excellent piece of business.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course we can't tell too much at this stage, but to suggest he looks like a "bad signing" is just wrong.
What have you done with the real Edna?

Of course he's clearly a bad signing, made by a bad scout.
When you have an agenda what's the truth got to do with anything.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
What have you done with the real Edna?

Of course he's clearly a bad signing, made by a bad scout.
When you have an agenda what's the truth got to do with anything.

:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
RIP Oscar Garcia football. Reminds me of Gus attacking football too, pleasant
Blimey, I miss one game and that has to be the 'attacking one'.

Sami's tactics (squad) v Wednesday - woeful.
Sami's tactics v Bolton - Unlike anything I've seen at the Amex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well there you go. With the benefit go hindsight we should have got him in much sooner and ditched the idea of Clayton. Easy to say after the event of course but I cannot believe at Clayton would have had the impact that Holla has.
But that's assuming we were Holla's first choice.

His agent may well have had a few other teams interested, with us on the back burner.

For all we know deals involving x,y & z went one way, so The Hollacopter came to us.
Had those deals gone differently Holla could have 'slipped through the net'. (not that anybody knew we were even trying to land him)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No. it's just one that you don't agree with.

No. Your argument (quoted from someone else) seems to be that everyone who got bored of people moaning about transfers is a ridiculous optimist. That's a ridiculous argument. Most people on here that I saw were just saying give the club time and see what happens. That seems pretty logical from my "ridiculously optimistic" point of view.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here