Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just finished "Want You Dead" by Peter James and now starting on "Glamorama" by Bret Easton Ellis.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I am currently reading,

The Penguin Reference of the Critical Dictionary of Psychoanalysis.

I have just read about a pretentious twit reading a book about Psychoanalysis. But am reading Aftermath by Peter Robinson ATM :D

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Same here re: reading over TV. You never lose yourself in television the way you can lose yourself in a book. With TV your mind just uses it as a vehicle to keep on thinking about day to day things, worries, to do lists etc. while you stare at a screen, whereas reading can bypass all the junk floating around in your head. There is a stat about how people who read regularly get better paid jobs, perform better, are more focused etc.

Perhaps we should recommend some required reading for Sammi and the boys

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just finished "Want You Dead" by Peter James.

Me too.

I have a friend who was stalked and have recommended she DOESN'T read this book.

Oh and I feel bad for poor [MENTION=5384]Norman Potting[/MENTION]

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I have just finished The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher by Hilary Mantell.

Really don't bother, it's a short story collection seemingly written by 16 year-old GCSE English student trying to be a bit edgy. It's bloody awful

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
How To Read Lacan by Slavoj Zizek

Psychoanalysis meets philosophy, with some art/film critical analysis and a fair bit of smut, sorry, sexiophantasmigorical deconstruction...

An ideal stocking filler request via the Amazon link up top :)

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Just started 'The Sleepwalkers' which is about European politics and the lead up to the First World War - unable to sleep at 3.00am this morning reading the first chapter about Serbian politics at the end of the 19th century was very interesting as well as well written so unfortunately failed to have the desired soporific effect!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Great Gatsby.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Same here re: reading over TV. You never lose yourself in television the way you can lose yourself in a book. With TV your mind just uses it as a vehicle to keep on thinking about day to day things, worries, to do lists etc. while you stare at a screen, whereas reading can bypass all the junk floating around in your head. There is a stat about how people who read regularly get better paid jobs, perform better, are more focused etc.
This. There is nothing better than reading.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This. There is nothing better than reading.

I had not read a book for 25 years ..... since i left school.

2 years ago I read Making History by Stephen Fry.

Ever since i always have a book in my hand, not because the book was that special, I just really enjoyed how relaxed I was and it got me out of watching shit pointless TV.

In the past 2 years I must have read close to 50 books, which is by no means prolific, but for a non reader is quite a thing.

Reading is epic.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Red by Gary Neville at the moment, because I was given it in a bundle of stuff to read while I was in hospital but never got round to it. Just finished More Fool Me by (Sir) Stephen Fry. Why this man doesn't have a knighthood I will never know. Funny, talented, patron of many charity's and has championed lots of new ideas (he was the original Apple fanboy, and also was one of the first few people to embrace Twitter). He'll get a knighthood sooner or later though I suppose.

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
I finished Personal by Lee Childs on Friday.
I read Sadie by Jane Elliott and Kaitlyn by Kevin Lewis over the weekend. I'm now reading Fallen Angel by Kevin Lewis

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just finished The Luminaries-Eleanor Catton. Very enjoyable whodunnit in the New Zealand goldfields

Recently read To the Lighthouse-Virginia Woolf. My first Virginia Woolf novel and quite a hard slog to be honest.

Now reading : The Finkler Question-Peter Jacobson. Booker prize winner but not rocking my boat yet, a few chapters in.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Finally got round to finishing the slog that was The One Tree by Stephen Donaldson. Need a break from Thomas Covenant, so currently reading the Basic Rules Starter Set for Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here