Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Ian Holloway on Talksport

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Holloway very complimentary of Albion as a club - a few jokes about the play-off game and how Poyet thought it was "job done" after the first leg and, as a result, Holloway didn't need to motivate his players.

I'll never have a bad word to say about Olly - not after he sold us Bobby Z for relative peanuts (which was all we could afford at the time). £100k for two successive promotions is a real bargain.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
For me that's a worrying statement from Barber, how many chances did CH give AJ? He was dog turd even March looked a better player.

I think people in general are being too harsh on Jahanbakhsh. He's joined up late from the World Cup. For the first 7 games of the season he was getting about 15 minutes playing time off the bench. He finally got the opportunity to start 4 straight games, against West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves and Everton. We won 3 of those games. He then missed 10 games with a hamstring injury and another 3 whilst at the Asian Cup. His next appearance for us was off the bench against Burnley. He then started two games, which we won, against Huddersfield and Palace. He only made 6 more appearances, Southampton, Chelsea, Cardiff, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City. 4 of which were always tough games for us to impose ourselves on and all during a period where the teams self belief and confidence had been zapped out of them. He never started more than 4 consecutive matches.

Solly March in comparison, was a player who had a run of 12 starts followed by a run of 14 starts at a time when it wasn't difficult to find people on here questioning March's ability and why Hughton was playing him week in, week out. However, my take from this season, was that Solly March was our most improved player. I think Hughton believed in him and put faith in him and overtime Solly's confidence grew and he seemed to click and suddenly find his feet in this league to a point where other posters in this thread are quite rightly saying he's been excellent. Would we be saying the same about Solly though if he'd never started more than 4 consecutive games? Would it have clicked for him? He's not even a new player, in a new team, or in a new country.

I'm not trying to argue that Jahanbakhsh is suddenly going to become a fantastic player for us. I just think fans in general (I'm not meaning to pick on you here) like a quick opinion, a quick soundbite, "all that money and he's rubbish bla bla bla". I think we draw conclusions far to quickly. With a summer off due to no world cup and a full pre-season with the club maybe we'll see a different Jahanbakhsh next season. If we do, I don't think that'll necessarily be because Potter is a better manager, which would no doubt be the go to opinion, but rather we'd have a player whose had time to adapt to the league, had a full pre-season and hopefully a season that isn't disrupted by a injury and the Asian Cup.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I live in hope that we’ll see a Brighton team come out and try and attack the opposition from the kick off rather than sit back and let them grow in confidence. How many times did we actually take the game to the opposition from the kick off at the Amex last season?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
:lol: well that would have been funnier, but it's not really PB.

Maybe the reason PB gave was genuine. Maybe it was more to do with something else, but they didn't want to say (possibly tactics, who knows). Maybe it was also a little reminder for Potter that the club want him to get the best out of the players who haven't performed as well as we'd expect. All we know is that it's a club statement that's been selected as fit for media.

I think Potter will be a breath of fresh air, hopefully we will see a lot more decisive attacking football, but not at the detriment of our brilliant defence.

I have no doubt TB would have agonised over relieving CH of his duties, but the natives were getting restless towards the back end of the season, and I'm sure Ashworth had his say too, so it was time to ring the changes.

Last edited:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I think people in general are being too harsh on Jahanbakhsh. He's joined up late from the World Cup. For the first 7 games of the season he was getting about 15 minutes playing time off the bench. He finally got the opportunity to start 4 straight games, against West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves and Everton. We won 3 of those games. He then missed 10 games with a hamstring injury and another 3 whilst at the Asian Cup. His next appearance for us was off the bench against Burnley. He then started two games, which we won, against Huddersfield and Palace. He only made 6 more appearances, Southampton, Chelsea, Cardiff, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City. 4 of which were always tough games for us to impose ourselves on and all during a period where the teams self belief and confidence had been zapped out of them. He never started more than 4 consecutive matches.

Solly March in comparison, was a player who had a run of 12 starts followed by a run of 14 starts at a time when it wasn't difficult to find people on here questioning March's ability and why Hughton was playing him week in, week out. However, my take from this season, was that Solly March was our most improved player. I think Hughton believed in him and put faith in him and overtime Solly's confidence grew and he seemed to click and suddenly find his feet in this league to a point where other posters in this thread are quite rightly saying he's been excellent. Would we be saying the same about Solly though if he'd never started more than 4 consecutive games? Would it have clicked for him? He's not even a new player, in a new team, or in a new country.

I'm not trying to argue that Jahanbakhsh is suddenly going to become a fantastic player for us. I just think fans in general (I'm not meaning to pick on you here) like a quick opinion, a quick soundbite, "all that money and he's rubbish bla bla bla". I think we draw conclusions far to quickly. With a summer off due to no world cup and a full pre-season with the club maybe we'll see a different Jahanbakhsh next season. If we do, I don't think that'll necessarily be because Potter is a better manager, which would no doubt be the go to opinion, but rather we'd have a player whose had time to adapt to the league, had a full pre-season and hopefully a season that isn't disrupted by a injury and the Asian Cup.

Agree, this is what I'm hoping that there is a great player waiting to be unlocked by Potter..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I live in hope that we’ll see a Brighton team come out and try and attack the opposition from the kick off rather than sit back and let them grow in confidence. How many times did we actually take the game to the opposition from the kick off at the Amex last season?

To be fair, we did it quite often. However, we often failed to was capitalise on early dominance, allowing the opposition to grow into the game. With frail confidence, particularly in the second half of the season, going one down was a hammer blow.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ah, but you can't let the facts get in the way of a good bit of player-slagging............................

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As I watch the vast majority of out games on TV rather than in the stadium, it's hard for me to judge Jahanbaksh's pace (or lack thereof). When he signed speed was touted as one of his strengths. Has he really looked slow for us? Did he bulk up in preparation for playing in a more physical league, thereby sacrificing a a bit of pace?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Okay, Barber's statement was "We felt CH didn't get the best out of the new signings"

So we broke our transfer record for a player who wasn't any better, in fact worse than what we already had, then scapegoat CH because AJ was dog turd, brilliant..

P.S. The jury is still out on AJ but you can only judge on what you see, CH gave him enough chances to shine.

I take this to mean, Chris didn't play to their strengths, not that the players weren't any good. We know the potential of the signings because we track then for ages before buying them. It's therefore easy to see if the coach is getting the most from each.

Too many have failed to kick on as expected.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

We did against Cardiff, well at least for 20 minutes, not that it worked well !!!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I take this to mean, Chris didn't play to their strengths, not that the players weren't any good. We know the potential of the signings because we track then for ages before buying them. It's therefore easy to see if the coach is getting the most from each.

This hasn't happened overnight. I'm sure many can recall any number of forwards being nicknamed 'barn door' who later didn't do too badly. And as for 'one-in-ten-Glenn' that stayed with him for a long time. The truth is that many players brought in to do a quick job don't get started right and struggle even more with lack of support from the fans. Next season is a new start for all

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

To be fair, it was only AJ and Locadia who as you say failed to kick on as expected, in my opinion Bernardo and Bissouma looked decent enough.

The Premier League is unforgiving, look at Huddersfield's second season, under a decent forward thinking manager, they crumbled.

Fulham played attractive football at times and spent fortunes, sadly they were relegated, Cardiff also.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It will be nice to hear our manager talk about us, talk up our positives, say how he believes in his players to know how to win, instead of talking up the opposition every sodding time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here