Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Zaha. Tom Heaton. Camarrassa. Shelvey. Ward-Prowse. Redmond. Vardy. McGuire. Myriad of Portuguese at Wolves. Sigurdsson. Wilson. King. Etc.

None of the attacking signings this season have been better than what we already had at the club and Gross & Izquierdo have been blighted by injury.
Not sure which Superhero you expect in the dugout working with such blunt tools.

I gather the recruitment team offered CH Brooks. Then we ran the analyst algorithms and slide rules over him and said No.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
was never fully Hughton out and didn’t see this coming really .

A change could be good and the summer will prob be more exciting as a result .

That list from the bookies isn’t great though .

Would be concerned with Potter , 1 season in the championship and a few abroad at a level prob equal to non league . I’d hope we would get someone who has a better CV.

Will back whoever of course just hoping a foreigner from a decent league enters the betting odds soon .

Cheers Chris Hughton . You made the dream a reality !

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am angry and shocked about this.

Our best manager and achieved amazing things with our budget and the type of players we can sign.

No mutual consent, football is a brutal thing and Chris doesn't deserve this.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Gutted. Sort of understand it, but still feel sorry for the man. "Thanks for keeping us in the PL, Chris and for getting us a load more cash. Now do one."

Yes, I know it's not as straightforward as that, but...

Big gamble to take for the Lizard – I'm assuming he won't go fishing in the Dutch league pond again.

Thanks for everything Chris!

He did get paid you know. And from what sky have said will get paid until 2021 :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder how much say Ashworth had? On the face of it leaving England for 17th in the EPL is a step down in career. It could well be the old guard clearing out and not the new signings at all.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
....we purchased a few dummies with that £100 mill

Did we, though. Or did we buy players who were good at what they did before we bought them (hence buying them) - then told them NOT to do what they were good at. To me, it's all about getting the best out of a player. If a player is enjoying his football he tries harder, is more positive, and that lifts the team. Get 10 players on the pitch playing how they love to play and you have a force to be reckoned with...

Apart from Locadia who should only be deployed as one of the guys with the "grass jabbing forks" at half time. That's about where he is at the moment.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Can't think of a nicer football manager , perhaps that's the problem at this level , i wish him well .

casfootball

May 13, 2019
Wales
A sad day for Football - I think some of the players should take a good hard look at there performances, and realise that they contributed to the downfall of the club this season. I appreciate a new direction in terms of management is possibly a good thing, however Chris has given us so much and has ensured we have stayed up yet again. You are a legend Chris and I wish you well.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Exactly. He who pays the piper calls the tune. And you only have to look at the last few games to realise that we'd run out of ideas and, dare I say it, hope. Somehow we stayed up: but that surely was more luck than judgement. Tony Bloom is a die hard fan as well as being an extra ordinarily wealthy man, but there comes a point when changes have to be made and I thought we'd reached that after we lost to Fulham and drew with West Ham. The talent is surely there: what's needed is a charismatic manager who knows how to win. Nathan Jones anyone?

Nathan Jones you must be joking

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
It might be right, it might be exciting times to come, but I cannot feel anything but incredibly sad about it.

Along with Bruno, these are two men that have represented our football club with unquestionable dignity, loyalty and success.

Don't think I will feel anything else until we know who is coming in.

Football is a ruthless world, I kind of hoped we were the ones to buck that trend.

It is ruthless but I think Bloom has shown loyalty to him. Many clubs would have sacked him 2 or 3 months ago playing the way we were.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The Club is taking on a fair bit of reputational damage if Twitter is anything to go by.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We have suffered (unjustifably so in my opinion) reputational damage because of the football we have played this season.

I was very briefly in favour of this decision after the Bournemouth and Cardiff games, but since then have moved strongly back towards keeping the man and I thought he had done enough. I'm just glad that our fans never fully turned, most giving him support throughout. It certainly didn't get ugly like it did at Norwich.

Another sad day to add to yesterday but some perspective needed. Managers and players come and go, we have to trust those in charge who believe a change will be beneficial. They have been brutally decisive and we can say now with confidence that we have fully arrived in the PL circus.

Thanks for everything Chris.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here