Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lets be realistic - The Official Dunk and/or Duffy transfer thread

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
If Arsenal had them they would be playing Champions League football next season, same goes for Man Utd. Thing is TB does not have to sell anybody unless of course the player wants to leave, I've read some of the other clubs forums on who they want for next season and Dunk seems to be wanted by pretty much everyone, the blind ignorance of particularly Spurs fans who just think they need to ask and Dunk would sign or Bloom has to sell is laughable, we hold the aces in this game and who better to play the summer transfer hand than TB

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
If neither of them want to leave, then we don't need to sell. My only concern is if Dunk thinks he can win more England caps with a move to a top 6 club. It hasn't stopped Harry Maguire though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will throw a spanner in the transfer workings of the minds of people.

Some Clubs operate from a position of ''Snobbery Eliteness'' - By that I mean they look at players like Duffy and Dunk as ''backs to the wall'' head it out and clear it defenders.

They don't see them as having the fancy foreign name on their passports and as such probably wouldn't fit into their Champions League Excursions if or when they eventually get there.

So will these teams look at D & D - I would imagine they have already and dismissed it. After all. They haven't exactly been playing in an undiscovered region of Kazakhstan recently where no one has been able to watch them play.

And even if the Big Clubs do eventually lose their Elite Snobbery and make a bid for them - What we would want for them would probably repel them - And then even if it didn't. I think we have been planning for that eventuality by trying to gradually find younger versions of them already in Burn to step in and take their place if that happened.

Brighton are a lot cleverer than teams like Man United or Arsenal these days - They won't be a soft touch in transfer markets if they sell any of the first team players. I think D & D will be in the heart of the Brighton defence next year again
I don't think many posters are saying much different.

Although if everything at the club remains the same it'll be a very clear indication that next season we'll again be playing for 4th from bottom.

But there will also be a fair few looking at top 10, The Everton Cup and even an attempt at unseating one of the out of sorts Top 6.

An ambitious Premier League goal stopper at the heart of the defense will be needed to make any of that happen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just can’t see D&D being part of a PL team pushing for honours. A great duo for last gasp defending at a bottom 6 PL team but teams at the top want their CDs to be ball players who can pick the ball up from the keeper in their own penalty area and pass, play one twos and keep the ball, not just lump it over their winger’s head on the touch line.
Dunk is quite capable of coming out with the ball and picking passes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the blind ignorance of particularly Spurs fans who just think they need to ask and Dunk would sign or Bloom has to sell is laughable, we hold the aces in this game and who better to play the summer transfer hand than TB
It would cost them, but if Spurs did really want him (and were therefore prepared to pay) then he'd go.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Dunk has signed new contracts for the Albion (ie: pay rises) in :
Jul 14, Aug 15, Sep 16, Aug 17, and Oct 18.

I think the club are well rehearsed now in fending off bids for their players, which of course is what they intend to do.

I actually think they will stay. A lot depends on signings this summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
IMO Dunk much more suited to a top team as he's able to bring the ball out and play / pass as well as put his body on the line (which he wouldn't have to do so much in a top side)

He does however still have a mistake in him every so often (as does Duffy)

If I was TB, and it's easy for us to say it, I wouldn't sell - they are worth so much to us - and what message does it send out to fans, other potential signings etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can see dunk to arsenal 40/45 mil Duffy to Burnley 25/30

I know others have said it, but their transfer record stands at £15m.

They will do what Burnley do, scout the Championship and League One, buy talented upcoming young players, or they'll fish around for top 6 academy cast offs like the 2m they paid for Michael Keane.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Can see teams being put off by how easily we have conceded goals when we have tried to be a more attacking team. We are solid defensively when the team is set up to defend, but better clubs will not play like that.

Perhaps that was Hughton's plan all along!

This is my thinking too. They are absolutely magnificent - a joy to watch - when the team is set up to defend. When they've been faced with movement and being pulled out of position they've struggled a little. There's a lot more of the latter rather than the former defending when you play for the big boys. Errors there would be highlighted whereas there'd be less chance of showcasing their strengths.

I also think that this summer and maybe next are the key windows for us to keep them. After that they'll be in their late 20's and probably not a realistic option for the big boys, leaving them free to be our centre backs for another 5+ years. Which would be fantastic!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Some absolutely brilliant work going on in this thread lads. Utterly convincing stuff.

Here is my 2 pence.

“I don’t think top 6 clubs will be that impressed with Dunk’s shoplifting habit. PR nightmare”

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think they will be both here at the start of next season. Its not a position that BHA will need to strengthen next season, but I think both are mid-lower table premiership players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here