Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Alastair Campbell expelled.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
'Who would I prefer in power, Blair or the Tories, it's Blair and New Labour everyday of the week.',

That seems reasonable, or more specifically not unreasonable - but the rest is just slanted tosh.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All those chemical weapons had a use by date and were ineffective stockpiles from the early 90's and no use to anyone. Saddam was not producing chemical weapons. I would rather take the word of the qualified UN Chief Weapons Inspector working on the ground in Iraq than yourself, and you have already admitted being blinded by your support of Blair and his New Labour.

Your opinion is not an unbiased critical one so you cannot be taken seriously.

Ha, and your opinion is unbiased and slanted against Blair. Where I have admitted be 'blinded' by my support of Blair and New Labour. You seem capable of putting spin on anything.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
And that is the rub of it. Corbyn may well have 500k + members but that is not what will get him elected. He needs to attract the middle ground. Blair and his cronies realized that and achieved it. Foot and Kinnock didn't. It's not good having great ideals if you're not in power to enact them!

I don't get how taking a staunch stop-Brexit position is going to help find that sweet middle-ground spot given 52% of the country voted leave.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't get how taking a staunch stop-Brexit position is going to help find that sweet middle-ground spot given 52% of the country voted leave.

Well first of all, 52% of the country didn't vote leave, not even 52% of the electorate voted leave. Secondly, there was no clear mandate at the time as to what Brexit actually meant and what the various options were. There was never mention, as far as I can recall of Brexit on default WTO terms. The whole rigmarole was a botched campaign by remain and plenty of untruths from quite a few on the leave side. Chuck in some dodgy funding and the use of Cambridge Analytica and the whole thing was an affront to democracy.

Lay out two options to leave and then have a two tiered referendum. Question 1, leave or remain. Question 2. if we leave do we leave on deal 1 (whatever parliament eventually agrees) or default WTO. However, any campaign should fully explain how the EU operates, ie how laws are passed, how commissioners are appointed by the elected governments of each country etc. It should also explain the pros and cons of the default WTO position and the same for whatever the deal is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

drew is right. 17.4million is a small number of people compared to £46.5 million voters in this country. Of course the population as a whole, 64.6 million makes the first number an even smaller percentage, certainly not 52%

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
drew is right. 17.4million is a small number of people compared to £46.5 million voters in this country. Of course the population as a whole, 64.6 million makes the first number an even smaller percentage, certainly not 52%

Perhaps you should tell the Second Referendum campaign. I’m pretty sure they are not expecting a 100% turnout either. Sounds like if there is a second vote we already have grounds for not accepting the result. If the turnout is lower than in the first referendum then the result will not be accepted by the losing side (whoever that is).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ha, and your opinion is unbiased and slanted against Blair. Where I have admitted be 'blinded' by my support of Blair and New Labour. You seem capable of putting spin on anything.

I have no emotional attachment to a party, a person or an ideology You have made it very clear with your stance on Blair and "New Labour", and you are unable to use critical thinking because of it. Cameron who is almost as much as a prick as Blair, is sharing a close second with Boris. I am clearly not as good at spinning a tale as Blair and Campbell are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All those chemical weapons had a use by date and were ineffective stockpiles from the early 90's and no use to anyone. Saddam was not producing chemical weapons. I would rather take the word of the qualified UN Chief Weapons Inspector working on the ground in Iraq than yourself, and you have already admitted being blinded by your support of Blair and his New Labour.

Your opinion is not an unbiased critical one so you cannot be taken seriously.

Chemical weapons are spontaneously biodegraded during storage and essentially recyclable, then? Ha ha! You are the King of Comedy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039914018303680

All opinions are unbiased. That's why they are called opinions, rather than facts. You seem to not understand the difference between an opinion and a fact, a prerequisite if you wish to be taken seriously :shrug:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Chemical weapons are spontaneously biodegraded during storage and essentially recyclable, then? Ha ha! You are the King of Comedy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039914018303680

All opinions are unbiased. That's why they are called opinions, rather than facts. You seem to not understand the difference between an opinion and a fact, a prerequisite if you wish to be taken seriously :shrug:

What have you given me? I don't need advice on the storing of chemical weapons in order to preserve the lifespan but I am sure Saddam would have welcomed this 30 years ago. As it stands any left over chemical weapons stored in a shed or yard for 15 years and forgotten about is more dangerous for the people who intend to use them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What have you given me? I don't need advice on the storing of chemical weapons in order to preserve the lifespan but I am sure Saddam would have welcomed this 30 years ago. As it stands any left over chemical weapons stored in a shed or yard for 15 years and forgotten about is more dangerous for the people who intend to use them.

But.....you implied Saddam's weapons weren't dangerous at all. Make up your mind, why don't you? ??? :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have no emotional attachment to a party, a person or an ideology You have made it very clear with your stance on Blair and "New Labour", and you are unable to use critical thinking because of it. Cameron who is almost as much as a prick as Blair, is sharing a close second with Boris. I am clearly not as good at spinning a tale as Blair and Campbell are.

Keep digging. I never said you had an emotional allegiance to any particular party. But it is clear you have hatred for Blair and therefore anything he is linked to.

As far as myself and Blair, I take a pragmatic view that Labour, under the old guard, would never have been elected and we would have been stuck with a tory government that aim for a far smaller state and lower taxes (especially for their rich mates). How would the poor benefit from that?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Keep digging. I never said you had an emotional allegiance to any particular party. But it is clear you have hatred for Blair and therefore anything he is linked to.

As far as myself and Blair, I take a pragmatic view that Labour, under the old guard, would never have been elected and we would have been stuck with a tory government that aim for a far smaller state and lower taxes (especially for their rich mates). How would the poor benefit from that?

Nope wrong again, this is about justice and being seen to do the right thing and hold our leaders accountable for bad behaviour, Blair just happens to be the one who failed this country and our military massively. I don't care what the party flag colour is. Who cares about taxes when it comes to going to war with fabricated evidence and sexed up documents.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m not ‘left wing’ particularly, but you’re spot on.

The version of the Labour Party started by John Smith, Bryan Gould etc, and completed by Blair, Brown, Dewar, etc (and Campbell), turned them into a very electable prospect, which also drew in Liberals and some Tories. Very sensibly working with the business sector, raising taxes even if some were by stealth and investing massively in communities.

Definitely tainted by the later Iraq war, but that cannot take away all the good done on home soil.

I strongly suspect that Blair/Campbell haters were people that couldn’t stand them all the way through, pre Iraq. Most probably old school voters from the centre right, and conversely those who throughout were fans of the Derek Hatton form of the bitter left. The Iraq controversy game them all the “I got ya” moment they’d longed for.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not going to try and pretend it has been plain sailing, far from it, but don't forget that Iraq invaded Kuwait before we got involved in the first gulf war and Al Qaeda was operating long before we went into Afghanistan which itself was before 9/11 and the attacks on the US embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam. What was the alternative? Do you think Osama was going to stop with 9/11?

good point .....saddam and al qaeda both american made..??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Expelling Campbell is yet another nail in Corbyn's coffin. Labour need the Campbells of this world onside, and in a post-Brexit political world his home is in the Remain centre ground without which no party has a hope in hell of winning a GE parliamentary majority.

When the Lib Dems and Change UK get their shit together they need Campbell onboard.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Blairite Cult :lolol: You weren't calling us that when our votes were getting you elected. :wave:

Next time you'd like to actually win a General Election (that thing Blair did three times) let us know. Enjoy the political wilderness. You deserve it.

I`d already left for the Greens by then. After being a labour party member and trade union activist in the late seventies and in the early eighties I gave up on Labour with the lurch rightwards under Kinnock. Yes they won elections but to continue Tory policies. Pointless! Always thought Blair was a slimey career politician who piggy-backed onto labour, and suspect he might be a CIA asset recruited at Oxford. Like many, I recently rejoined Labour when Corbyn was elected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here