Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Death on the High Street,Boots.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The issue with the UK High Street, in my view, is little to do with what it offers, and all to do with the cost of living vs the stagnation in wages.

I've love to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday wondering round browsing, and buying a few items I don't need, or choosing something I do need from whatever is on offer, knowing I can always get something else if it isn't 100% perfect. But instead, I have to limit my spending to pretty much exactly the things I need at the lowest price I can get them for. And I earn more than the average wage in this country.

It really grates me that the emphasis is always placed on us as consumers to try and support local businesses/high street shops.

D

Deleted member 22389

Newhaven hasn't had a bank for years. We can pay money in via the post office or go to Seaford.
[MENTION=578]portslade seagull[/MENTION] France still had small family run shops which is why their high streets thrive. They wouldn't dream of doing a one stop shop at the supermarket.

Newhaven, Peacehaven is now just a dumping ground for all of Lewes District Councils housing requirements. Another 350 homes in Peacehaven being built, then we have the new housing at Augustfields. All this new housing with no decent roads to back it up, on top of that, no banks, no police stations, only three doctors surgeries between the two towns, it is a joke, but I bet this situation is being mirrored up and down the country.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I was under the impression that WH Smith make most of their money from the transport sites (airports, railway stations, ports, etc) and also their wholesale arm. High street stores will be kept alive with the Post Office tie ins as we already have in many towns across Sussex.
Correct.

The High Street part of WHS has been struggling for years, the Travel business props it up.

On a related note: BBC News - WH Smith 'worst' retailer in UK, says Which? survey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48433692

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Found out that the Clinton’s in George Street closed from yesterday. Sussex Booksmiths are owned by Smiths, so one of them will go before long. It’s our own fault because we decided to go on line. There are fewer and fewer options to buy stuff. Curry’s/PC World will probably just do online before long. Even the betting shops will go before long. Before long we will all be living indoors waiting for a drone to pop by with the shopping.

Betting shops will close a lot quicker than you think.

Slashing the fixed odds machines to £2 a go has killed them. Can’t remember the last time I went in a bookies and wasn’t the only person in there.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
France still had small family run shops which is why their high streets thrive. They wouldn't dream of doing a one stop shop at the supermarket.

Quite - We get the high streets we deserve. It's really not difficult in most cases, and much more pleasurable, to visit the greengrocer, butcher etc etc...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm in retail.
I've looked at my local high street (Uckfield) a few times and done some figures. Rent, staff and costs mean that a standard sized shop has to take £2500 a week to show a decent profit. Now count the number of small shops in the high street (I'd guess 30). That's £75,000 has to be spent every week in the small shops alone.
WH Smiths took over the old Woolies a few years back despite having a Sussex Bookstore 100 yards away!
Boots is next door to Superdrug!
We have every charity shop you can thinks of but only Costa in the coffee chains.
Luckily at the moment we have free parking but the council keep bringing up the subject of charging and once that happens the high street will die.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The issue with the UK High Street, in my view, is little to do with what it offers, and all to do with the cost of living vs the stagnation in wages.

I've love to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday wondering round browsing, and buying a few items I don't need, or choosing something I do need from whatever is on offer, knowing I can always get something else if it isn't 100% perfect. But instead, I have to limit my spending to pretty much exactly the things I need at the lowest price I can get them for. And I earn more than the average wage in this country.

It really grates me that the emphasis is always placed on us as consumers to try and support local businesses/high street shops.

the large shopping centres places like Eastbourne and Brighton are thriving, as are massive shopping malls. shopping has become a leisure pursuit for many, they'll go out all day for the browsing, coffee, etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You’re right to point out it’s not all down to consumers not supporting their local shops; but bluntly, most of us don’t. We’ve all gone online because it’s cheaper and easier. Good luck to anyone thinking they can put that genie back in it’s bottle! We should just convert town centres to housing and stop trying to fight this ridiculous notion to preserve our high streets. They’re a relic of the past, we’ve got what we deserve because we’re obsessed with price and don’t look beyond it in hundreds of other examples too. It’s why our oceans are full of plastic etc; the social costs are never included and frankly most people give little thought to anything other than their immediate consumer desire. Just get aboard the hell-cart and be done with it. Pointless trying to resist.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
the large shopping centres places like Eastbourne and Brighton are thriving, as are massive shopping malls. shopping has become a leisure pursuit for many, they'll go out all day for the browsing, coffee, etc.

Debenhams and TJHughes have just announced they are closing down in Eastbourne, so two huge retailers will go. The Arndale centre still has large gaps which haven't been rented yet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Debenhams and TJHughes have just announced they are closing down in Eastbourne, so two huge retailers will go. The Arndale centre still has large gaps which haven't been rented yet.

interesting point, its very busy though. people browsing not shopping? TJ Hughs is a dump though, think people only go there for luggage and the cafe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
interesting point, its very busy though. people browsing not shopping? TJ Hughs is a dump though, think people only go there for luggage and the cafe.

The household linen floor is worth a visit. Maybe you haven't really looked in TJHughes.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

TJ Hughes left the announcement late as they were closed down when I went past at the weekend.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Business rates for small(ash) shops should be removed completely. Shops have plenty of additional expenses over online sales - and really they should be offered support for opening a shop compared to just going online.

Otherwise the high streets will become only the things you can't get online, like barbers.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Had this very conversation this morning. The days of retail are numbered. The town high street and shopping centres of today will be a thing of the past in 10 years (maybe even earlier). Demand for housing is at stretching point across the country, so if the local councils are allowed to free them up, we'll start to see the retail areas of the high street change into apartments.

Just this weekend I had the misfortune to walk along Sutton High Street (please don't ask) and the amount of empty retail space was astonishing. It will need a concerted effort to consolidate and close down areas to free that space up for renewed development.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Otherwise the high streets will become only the things you can't get online, like barbers.

Is this such a bad thing though? I’m thinking cafes, bars, restaurants, barbers, local produce shops. There must be other things as well; doesn’t seem too bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here