Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yep, as the owner of a large record collection all this audiophile stuff gets my goat... downforce measurers and tracking scopes... FFS... just put it on and enjoy it, for the most part all these slight alterations (fannying about) make ermmmm slight (.0000001%) audible differences during playback.

It’s bollocks.

When you consider you can spend 30k on a TT, the difference between a £100 TT and a £1500 TT is frankly negligible... it’s laughable anyone would actually buy into the low end audiophile market... it’s all in your imagination.

Now if you spend megabucks, well obviously I would expect a huge step forward in sound BUT so few of us fall into that category... there’s a reason why low end Pioneer gear from the 70s is still so collectible, it’s about as good as it gets. Ultimately a minimum of 10k per source is required to hear a tangible difference and then only if your hearing is actually good. Realistically children are about the only humans who could really hear the difference.

Stick to budget systems and spend the rest of your hard earned money on your loved ones, as low end (so called) audiophile sound is the great con of man. £1000 or £100 ? I know what i’d do... especially when you consider a £100 speaker cable is no better than bog standard bell wire... I should know, i’ve heard them both.

almost, cheap is cheap, a rega planar 3 @ £600 sounds as good as something 10x more expensive . . . . there s a sweet spot I think that most can afford . . .the rest is just bluff.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
almost, cheap is cheap, a rega planar 3 @ £600 sounds as good as something 10x more expensive . . . . there s a sweet spot I think that most can afford . . .the rest is just bluff.

Yeah; that represents as high end as I would ever go... ever.

Fair point... that (beyond your TT) middle ground... up to very expensive, it’s utter bollocks it really is. I would imagine your TT sounds lovely, but so does my late 70s quartz Hitachi, which I picked up for £60... ortofon cartridge aside, it’s as was... a beautiful low budget TT. Sonically as good as anything i’ve heard.

The ear of the beholder and all that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Fair point... that (beyond your TT) middle ground... up to very expensive, it’s utter bollocks it really is. I would imagine your TT sounds lovely, but so does my late 70s quartz Hitachi, which I picked up for £60... ortofon cartridge aside, it’s as was... a beautiful low budget TT. Sonically as good as anything i’ve heard.

I remember back in the 70s spending quite a bit of time in a shop that sold stereos. The price differential was massive for the equipment but there was a level where I thought wow that is an amazing sound and I genuinely couldn’t tell the difference from the Pioneer system I ended up buying and the next system up which was over twice as much. I obviously have a ceiling on my hearing on sound quality :smile:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I remember back in the 70s spending quite a bit of time in a shop that sold stereos. The price differential was massive for the equipment but there was a level where I thought wow that is an amazing sound and I genuinely couldn’t tell the difference from the Pioneer system I ended up buying and the next system up which was over twice as much. I obviously have a ceiling on my hearing on sound quality :smile:

Yeah it’s mythology, yet over and above 5k I guess even I can admit there is something, but that kind of money is utter insanity.

As we get older, all of us, suffer hearing degradation and it makes me chuckle that the high end market is the realm of the very wealthy 60 something with (more than likely) significant bearing loss, especially in the high and low frequencies... I honestly believe if you put a mid 80s Sanyo inside a fancy High end brand box they’d still claim it was awesome!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This. The Rega Planar is consistently rated a great performer, by organisations not dependent on ad revenue, such as as Which. Bought mine about 4 years back ... lovely sound.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My project turntable after 3 year of almost daily use needed to have its motor replaced. I had to send it Henley Audio and who will replace it for me. They said they have a back log so will take two to three weeks.

The thought of not being able play records for that seemed a bit depressing so I found an Aiwa from the 90’s on eBay for £12 really messed up dust cover so I just took it off and I replaced the stylus. It is basically the same as the audio technica lp60 that you can buy now for about £160. Sounds fine. Not as good as the project but would be good as a starter turntable and a different world from the those suitcase things.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Quick shameless plug: it's the regular Worthing Record Fair on Saturday (25 May) at St Paul's Centre in Chapel Road, from 10.30am to 3.30pm.
Free entry, all sorts of genres, all sorts of prices – and you'll find vinyl, CDs, cassettes and maybe even some memorabilia too. Nice vibe, friendly sellers, and a decent coffee shop on site. I'll be there with a load of records to shift, so come and say hello if you're planning on coming. :rock::bigwave:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

My Rega I bought new from Jeffries in 1993 . . .a major investment, but its still good as new . . . . I have upgraded the motor to 12v from 240v and been through a few cartridges and stylus!

before that I had my Dads early 70's pioneer PL12 which was very good . . . .but the bearing started rumbling.

All my hifi was bought in the 90's, mostly new, I could afford to replace it easily now, and vertainly wouldnt be spending £1000's . . . . . but it was and remains a good investment.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Turntable Equipment Profile
•VPI Scoutmaster with inverted bearing and 300 RPM motor
•Trans-Fi ResoMat
•Gingko Cloud 11 Vibration Control Platform
•VPI Synchronous Drive System turntable motor speed controller and line isolator
•Trans-Fi Audio Terminator T3Pro tangential tracking air bearing tonearm with Tomahawk Armwand
•Soundsmith Sussorro Paua

Phono Stage Profile
•Musical Surroundings Phonomena Phono Preamplifier
•Musical Surroundings Battery Power Supply

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember back in the 70s spending quite a bit of time in a shop that sold stereos. The price differential was massive for the equipment but there was a level where I thought wow that is an amazing sound and I genuinely couldn’t tell the difference from the Pioneer system I ended up buying and the next system up which was over twice as much. I obviously have a ceiling on my hearing on sound quality [emoji2]
I used to work for Spendor Audio Systems and I spent a lot of time listening to decent setups. The perception of quality is highly subjective and additionally, slight changes in volume levels make a huge difference as well. Some people have money to burn though.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Sad you feel the need to push your prejudices onto others. If you cant here the differences between different turntables or even cables I would suggest you need to upgrade the rest of your system until you do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used to work for Spendor Audio Systems and I spent a lot of time listening to decent setups. The perception of quality is highly subjective and additionally, slight changes in volume levels make a huge difference as well. Some people have money to burn though.

I have money to burn, I’ll have that good looking B&O please :lolol:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I bought an early 80s Beogram for 90 quid in a local charity shop.

Sounds great....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it does. I love listening to my car radio, but I'm not claiming that's the last word in Hi Fi

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Sad you feel the need to push your prejudices onto others. If you cant here the differences between different turntables or even cables I would suggest you need to upgrade the rest of your system until you do.

I’ve heard a 50k system with 5k cables, friend via work who (won the lottery, about the only bloke I know who can afford to splurge on HiFi), it was no better than my budget separates system.

Sad you feel the need to push your audiophile agenda... why not join audiokarma, where you can loose yourself in tubes and techno babble to your hearts content... snobs too. If that’s your thing, then enjoy.

I also take issue with the ‘just upgrade’ attitude... errrmmm no, that would cost ££££££ for, I say again, zero tangible difference.

Obviously I hit a nerve, you know it’s all bollocks, but if you’ve got the money to be selfish and chuck away.... we’ll all the best with it.

Doesn’t alter good music one little bit.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Quick shameless plug: it's the regular Worthing Record Fair on Saturday (25 May) at St Paul's Centre in Chapel Road, from 10.30am to 3.30pm.
Free entry, all sorts of genres, all sorts of prices – and you'll find vinyl, CDs, cassettes and maybe even some memorabilia too. Nice vibe, friendly sellers, and a decent coffee shop on site. I'll be there with a load of records to shift, so come and say hello if you're planning on coming. :rock::bigwave:

I normally try and pop my head round, but feeling the pinch a bit at the moment so unless I find a particular beauty, it'll just be a window shopping visit.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I normally try and pop my head round, but feeling the pinch a bit at the moment so unless I find a particular beauty, it'll just be a window shopping visit.

I'll have stuff from 50p up to some rare, pricier items. Lots of LPs from £1-5. Let me know if there's anything particular you're hunting, or certain genres you're keen on. And I know the usual accepted answer is "I'll know it when I see it!" :lolol:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I’ve heard a 50k system with 5k cables, friend via work who (won the lottery, about the only bloke I know who can afford to splurge on HiFi), it was no better than my budget separates system.

Sad you feel the need to push your audiophile agenda... why not join audiokarma, where you can loose yourself in tubes and techno babble to your hearts content... snobs too. If that’s your thing, then enjoy.

I also take issue with the ‘just upgrade’ attitude... errrmmm no, that would cost ££££££ for, I say again, zero tangible difference.

Obviously I hit a nerve, you know it’s all bollocks, but if you’ve got the money to be selfish and chuck away.... we’ll all the best with it.

Doesn’t alter good music one little bit.

Difficult to argue with a bigot. :)

Kosh has decided he personally can hear no difference between two systems of unknown origin therefore all those hundreds of thousands that can are snobs etc. Nice one.

Its like saying that a fan can be 100% happy with League Two football so Premier League football isn't better.

And by the way where did this bit of profound knowledge come from? "you know it’s all bollocks"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here