Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lets be realistic - The Official Dunk and/or Duffy transfer thread

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I will throw a spanner in the transfer workings of the minds of people.

Some Clubs operate from a position of ''Snobbery Eliteness'' - By that I mean they look at players like Duffy and Dunk as ''backs to the wall'' head it out and clear it defenders.

They don't see them as having the fancy foreign name on their passports and as such probably wouldn't fit into their Champions League Excursions if or when they eventually get there.

So will these teams look at D & D - I would imagine they have already and dismissed it. After all. They haven't exactly been playing in an undiscovered region of Kazakhstan recently where no one has been able to watch them play.

And even if the Big Clubs do eventually lose their Elite Snobbery and make a bid for them - What we would want for them would probably repel them - And then even if it didn't. I think we have been planning for that eventuality by trying to gradually find younger versions of them already in Burn to step in and take their place if that happened.

Brighton are a lot cleverer than teams like Man United or Arsenal these days - They won't be a soft touch in transfer markets if they sell any of the first team players. I think D & D will be in the heart of the Brighton defence next year again

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just can’t see D&D being part of a PL team pushing for honours. A great duo for last gasp defending at a bottom 6 PL team but teams at the top want their CDs to be ball players who can pick the ball up from the keeper in their own penalty area and pass, play one twos and keep the ball, not just lump it over their winger’s head on the touch line.

Ok they’ve not been tested at this level but I can’t see Arsenal, Man U, etc building their future around D&D, despite how rubbish Jones Smalling, etc are.

Burns has looked comfortable but has not played much.

Not sure if PL clubs will like D&Ds lifestyles

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How much did Everton pay for Michael Keane a couple of years back? I think, with add-ons, it was about £30m.

It has to be that and a bit, as I think their age counts against them less, than we've seen prices inflate in the last 2 years. I think we should be hanging up the phone immediately at offers south of £30m, and even at £30m, we should be fairly dismissive, and explain that's not going to be enough, go back and have a little think.

I would want £35-40m for either of them.

You also have to price it up in terms of what it could cost us if we lose them! How much does relegation cost a club, because that's what we'd be facing without either of them this season.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Speculating on which club might be interested misses the point

The question I’d be asking is “what is Bloom’s record when offered bids for key players?” He’s consistently snuffed out interest and fended bids off.

Now, of course with player power what it is, one of both could submit a transfer request or effectively go on strike to engineer a bid. Unlikely I think. First, neither seem to the type, secondly, they are both on long term deals so can’t threaten to run down their contract and thirdly, I’m going to posit a guess that Tony Bloom would be quite good at that sort of game.

I think both will be offered new deals and both will sign. My guess to that Tony has realised recently that we’re going to have to change ourselves from a £40-45k p/w club to a £50 - 60k per week club to get to the level where we want to be, ie in amongst, Newcastle, Palace and Bournemouth. Our centre backs will be the first beneficiaries.

I think you're underestimating Dunk's ambition. Once you've been in an England squad surrounded by players from top clubs it is surely only going to strengthen that ambition to be at such a club.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I just think he is a bit too old to be part of the long term plans and I don't see how he will suddenly move up the pecking order. Especially with some of the younger defenders coming through such as Joe Gomez etc

And on that you're probably right but this conversation started as someone, no you, asserted that he'd been virtually discarded by Southgate.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I will throw a spanner in the transfer workings of the minds of people.

Some Clubs operate from a position of ''Snobbery Eliteness'' - By that I mean they look at players like Duffy and Dunk as ''backs to the wall'' head it out and clear it defenders.

They don't see them as having the fancy foreign name on their passports and as such probably wouldn't fit into their Champions League Excursions if or when they eventually get there.

So will these teams look at D & D - I would imagine they have already and dismissed it. After all. They haven't exactly been playing in an undiscovered region of Kazakhstan recently where no one has been able to watch them play.

And even if the Big Clubs do eventually lose their Elite Snobbery and make a bid for them - What we would want for them would probably repel them - And then even if it didn't. I think we have been planning for that eventuality by trying to gradually find younger versions of them already in Burn to step in and take their place if that happened.

Brighton are a lot cleverer than teams like Man United or Arsenal these days - They won't be a soft touch in transfer markets if they sell any of the first team players. I think D & D will be in the heart of the Brighton defence next year again

This is all very true, and why we still have them now. For about 3-4 years now, I've looked at Dunk and thought he was exactly what Man Utd, Liverpool (not anymore), Chelsea and Arsenal have needed. Whether that's seeing him as the new John terry, or Tony Adams, or Steve Bruce, truth is those clubs think they have moved on from that type of player, and can do better. They haven't. they've all needed exactly that, but they'll hang back and sign someone called Phillipe De Leutchan instead, who may never win a tackle, or throw himself in front of a shot, but he can do a Zidane turn on the edge of his own box, and sounds fancy.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Wonder what effect it might have on valuations if they play the game of their lives on Sunday, repelling wave after wave of City attacks and determining the destiny of the PL title in front of a global TV audience....? :lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Wonder what effect it might have on valuations if they play the game of their lives on Sunday, repelling wave after wave of City attacks and determining the destiny of the PL title in front of a global TV audience....? :lol:

The exact same thing as it did repelling wave and wave of the Tottenham and Arsenal attacks in the last two weeks in front of a Global TV Audience

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just can’t see D&D being part of a PL team pushing for honours. A great duo for last gasp defending at a bottom 6 PL team but teams at the top want their CDs to be ball players who can pick the ball up from the keeper in their own penalty area and pass, play one twos and keep the ball, not just lump it over their winger’s head on the touch line.

sounds like Dunk - only plays the long ball (with great accuracy it must be noted) because a lack of other options immediately in front. defensively he'd be an upgrade on many of the CB that find themselves in that position in the top 4-6 clubs. Duffy i agree, and feel quite safe he'd be staying.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because he has always hated Dunk and has never rated him, he can't help himself even on this thread.

That is absolute rubbish as I think that he has proved his worth for us but I do not think that he reached the same height in the eyes of GS. I would think that he is about 5th or 6th in the pecking order, with younger players coming through, which GS sweems to like and want.

As regards Arsenal I think that they will try for Cahill a proven man the top level. If as suggested Maguire goes to United why would Dunk want to take his place at Leicester?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When was the last time the club sold a first choice player ? And they have had plenty of bids.

A: Ulloa - 5 years ago...

Bloom/Barber quite good at keeping hold of players...

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Can see teams being put off by how easily we have conceded goals when we have tried to be a more attacking team. We are solid defensively when the team is set up to defend, but better clubs will not play like that.

Perhaps that was Hughton's plan all along!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If Alderweireld leaves Spurs in the summer, then Spurs could be looking for a centre-back.
Cahill leaving Chelsea, that leaves another hole in their squad, however they could have a transfer embargo.
Arsenal are shambolic at the back, so they could be looking at new additions. Is Dunk are an Arsenal fan? That might be an attractive move for him.

I was watching the Arsenal game here on TV and one of the commentators said Arsenal's defensive issues could be solved by offering Brighton £50 million for both of them, doubling their wages and they would still be the lowest in their squad!

Scary thought.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Can see teams being put off by how easily we have conceded goals when we have tried to be a more attacking team. We are solid defensively when the team is set up to defend, but better clubs will not play like that.

Perhaps that was Hughton's plan all along!

Very much so. They are great for us when we defend in numbers but not players you would be confident of in one on ones with classy attackers. They can do better than Brighton but I do not expect one of the top 6 to come calling

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If Alderweireld leaves Spurs in the summer, then Spurs could be looking for a centre-back.
Cahill leaving Chelsea, that leaves another hole in their squad, however they could have a transfer embargo.
Arsenal are shambolic at the back, so they could be looking at new additions. Is Dunk are an Arsenal fan? That might be an attractive move for him.

Him being a HGP is massive as well.

Chelsea can’t sign anyone of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here