Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Musicians/artists you’ve seen in multiple different guises.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I’ve seen Nick Cave with the Bad Seeds, solo, acoustic*, in conversation and as Grinderman.

Oh so similar. Have seen NC with the Bad Seeds, Grinderman, also with The Birthday Party upstairs at the Richmond pub in Brighton town in the very early eighties. And - top trumps! - in Churchill Square in cords and puffer jacket looking severely stressed trying to keep control of his two unruly toddlers :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Danny Thompson with Pentangle, and compering the Cropredy Festival, and playing in 'The Thompson Twins' (with Richard Thompson, not the 80s pop band).

Richard Thompson with Fairport Convention and solo.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I’m going to see The Good, The Bad, The Queen on Sunday. I have seen Damon Albarn as Blur, Gorillaz, solo, TGTBTQ and also seen his two operas. That’s 5

He wasn't IN the operas, was he? So are we just counting performances which artists contributed to?

I’ve seen Nick Cave with the Bad Seeds, solo, acoustic*, in conversation and as Grinderman. Also 5.

Or, in some cases, just talked!?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Struggling to get more than a 5 and only one of those which would be Darren Hayman solo. Darren Hayman and The Secondary Modern, Darren Hayman and The Short Politics. The French and Hefner. He was in another band but that would be a lie to say I saw them. Good game...good game...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Benjamin Power: **** Buttons & Blanck Mass
Bic Hayes: Panixsphere, Cardiacs, Mummy
Bill Drake: Cardiacs, himself

probably some others

Blanck Mass, I’m seeing them next week. I have sadly never seen **** Buttons.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have seen Damon Albarn as Blur,

Tanya Donelly and Kristin Hersh also achieve that hat-trick for me. Seen both in Throwing Muses (over 30 times, I was a big fan!), and both solo. Then I've also seen Tanya play as Belly 3 or 4 times, and Kristin as 50 Foot Wave a couple of times. One regret is I never saw Tanya in the first iteration of The Breeders.

Our tastes must overlap quite a bit! I’ve seen Kristen Hersh solo at Shepherd Bush but never got to see TD/Belly.

Apropos of nothing - the only time I saw Tanya D live was in a gig at Milton Keynes Bowl, where in terms of quality of performance, the running order really ought to have been completely reversed. It was the R.E.M 'Monster' tour, with Blur in support, and Belly up first.

Belly smashed out a sensational set, while ten thousand disinterested punters queued at the beer tents, then Blur played perfectly to the summer crowd (it was Parklife / Girls and Boys / Country House era), before finally the headline act came out and went through the motions of their (pretty average) Monster album, steadfast refusing to chuck in any of the scores of back catalogue crowd pleasers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apropos of nothing - the only time I saw Tanya D live was in a gig at Milton Keynes Bowl, where in terms of quality of performance, the running order really ought to have been completely reversed. It was the R.E.M 'Monster' tour, with Blur in support, and Belly up first.

Belly smashed out a sensational set, while ten thousand disinterested punters queued at the beer tents, then Blur played perfectly to the summer crowd (it was Parklife / Girls and Boys / Country House era), before finally the headline act came out and went through the motions of their (pretty average) Monster album, steadfast refusing to chuck in any of the scores of back catalogue crowd pleasers.

I remember queuing for hours at Wembley Arena to buy tickets for REM on the Monster tour. Gig was then cancelled. Just as well by the sound of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have seen Budgie drumming for The Slits, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Jon Grant.

Joe Strummer in The Clash, Solo, The Mescaleros and The Latino Rockabilly War.

Barrie Cadogan in Little Barrie,Primal Scream and with Morrissey.

Mick Jones in The Clash, Big Audio Dynamite and Gorillaz.

Jack White in The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather and solo.

Gruff Rhys in Super Furry Animals, Neon Neon, solo.

I can't reach five guises (yet) HT. I will think on.

Another thread idea is bands you have only ever seen the compliments of. Never seen the The Clash but have seen Joe Strummer with the Mescaleros, Terry Chimes with Cherry Bombz, Paul Simonon in TGTBTQ and Gorillaz and Mick Jones do the half time tombola at Loftus Road and in Gorillaz.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember queuing for hours at Wembley Arena to buy tickets for REM on the Monster tour. Gig was then cancelled. Just as well by the sound of it.

If you REALLY liked the album, I guess you'd like the performance - by the book, as it was.

For me it is the least strong piece in a huge and brilliant body of work. The decision to 'rock' it up a bit was a very poor one in my opinion.

The band are / were far, far better at the earlier less obviously commercial stuff (from the earliest stuff, through Fables, and right up to Green). The more radio friendly pop stuff of Out of Time and Automatic was less to my taste, but they were still patently very, very good at it.

Then, with Monster, they decided to try to turn into Muse! Not for me (Clive).

They regained my interest best part of a decade later, with Reveal, which fits the early work much better.

All IMO, obvs.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
For bassists

Was too young for Joy Division but saw Peter Hook in New order and Monaco

Mani in the Stone Roses and Primal Scream

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Surprised nobody's mentioned seeing both Joy Division & New Order yet.

*EDIT* Apart from the person who decides, 4 hours into the thread, to post just about exactly the same thing at just about exactly the same time. Gah! :rolleyes:

boik

I'm guessing Gedge In Weddoes and Cinerama doesn't count. Or Spizz in Spizzenergi, Athletic Spizz 80, Spizzles and Spizzenergi2?

Saw Bob Smith in The Cure and Siousxie, but also in Cult Hero. And Simon Gallup and Matthieu Hartly in the Cure and Magazine Spies and Cult Hero. Terry Bickers with House of Love at the Albert Hall and with Pete Fij.

Sure there must be others, but those early gigs are getting a bit hazy now!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Seen Thomas White x4. His own band, Electric Soft Parade, Brakes and The Fiction Aisle.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
I've seen quite a few people in different bands or guises but all twos:

Peter Hammill solo and in Van der Graaf Generator
Roger Chapman in Family and in Streetwalker
Joe Walsh as Joe Walsh and in the Eagles
Johnny Thunders in his own band and playing with Generation X
Edward Ka-spel solo and in The Legendary Pink Dots
Bruce Watson in Big Country and in Dead Men Walking
Hugh Cornwell solo and in The Stranglers
Geoff Richardson in Caravan, and with Jim Leverton
Arthur Brown with a string quartet, and with 'the Crazy word of'
Graham Smith in String Driven Thing, and with Peter Hammill
Norman Watt-Roy with Ian Dury & the Blockheads, and with the Wilko Johnson band
Robin Trower in Procul Harem, and in the Robin Trower band

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Agree, I was there with Mrs Jakarta and we left early, never thought I would do that at an REM gig.

Just to finish the day, the M25 was closed for around 3 hours just after Junction 9, guess who decided not to get off there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here