Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] who are your Albion cult heroes?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Richie Barker for me - was hopeless when he first joined and had the fans on his back (this fine Albion tradition goes way back) but never stopped trying. Scored his first goals of the season in the final two games of the atrocious 97/98 season. He was a player that made the most of his limited talent with hard work and persistence, and he turned fans' opinion of him around as a result.

And Peter Smith - opponents never knew what he was going to do with the ball mainly because Peter had very little idea himself.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Remarkable how many people on here apparently don’t know what a cult hero is,

Cult Hero’s aren’t club appointed and can mean different things to different people.

In the ‘Robin Friday’ maverick type mould then we’ve probably only had one [Worthington?] but are you seriously suggesting people like Crumplin, Smith, Zamora, Cullip [possibly needs to be added to my list] and Murray cant count for other reasons?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Eric Potts?
Cult hero? It`s Brian Horton for me.

That's the fella thank you. I had to Google for his exploits....

In ‘A Light in the North – Seven Years With Aberdeen’, Alex Ferguson wrote a fine summary of what a ‘supersub’ was, when he described bringing on eventual match winner John Hewitt against Bayern Munich on a famous night in 1982/83:

‘John is a tremendous substitute and although he lacks the consistency for a full game, he can come on and change a match and often score. Some players are not good substitutes. They are not used to it mainly because they take a long time to get warmed up and cannot get into the swing of a game, but John is excellent is this role.’

Go back five years, and into the English Second Division, and that description would have been apt for Eric Potts. The winger and midfielder played for Brighton & Hove Albion for just that one season, in 1977/78, and yet he claims a place in club folklore for his goalscoring exploits as substitute.

Joining Brighton from the Owls in a £14,000 deal, the red-headed signing made his Albion debut as the number seven in the club’s opening fixture, at Cambridge in the League Cup. In the next round’s replay at Oldham, he notched up his first goal for the Seagulls. The 5ft 5in winger held onto his starting place until he lost out to Tony Towner for the visit to Tottenham in November. From this point onwards, Potts only started five more matches for Brighton, such was the form of Towner, and it was in the number twelve shirt that Potts made his most memorable impact.

He scored Brighton’s second against Scarborough in the 3-0 win in the FA Cup 3rd Round in January 1978. Then, sensationally, he hit two goals in the last two minutes against Sunderland the following month, as Albion overturned a 1-0 deficit, after future Brighton loanee Jeff Clarke had given the Rokerites the lead. I know that match was televised by Southern TV but, sadly, I haven’t yet been able to track down the video footage. All I can offer is this image of the flame-haired one celebrating his winner:

Returned by Alan Mullery to the starting line-up, Potts opened the scoring against Stoke in a 2-1 win at the Goldstone in March. Then, combining well with John Ruggiero, Potts hit the late, solitary goal at Blackburn that these produced delirious scenes amongst the visiting players:

And how did his manager reward his match winner for the next match? Yes, by dropping him to the bench for the Tottenham game, for the second time that season. Nevertheless, unperturbed, when he came on, ‘Supersub’ scored in the second half to clinch a famous 3-1 win. And that concluded Potts’ goalscoring at Brighton. Five League goals, four of which were as substitute.

Here he is, in action in his Albion swan song, against Blackpool on the final day of the season:

Once the season ended, he joined Preston for £37,000 in August 1978 before closing his Football League career with Burnley from 1980 and Bury for two seasons from 1982.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
As a child of the Withdean era;

Guy Butters

Rocket Man

Adam Virgo

Gary Hart

That fat geezer who used to hang around next to the gates at Withdean to get players autographs, stank of piss, covered in Albion pin bages. I always knew him as The Honey Monster.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

That fat geezer who used to hang around next to the gates at Withdean to get players autographs, stank of piss, covered in Albion pin bages. I always knew him as The Honey Monster.

Some epitaph. Will you write one for me when the time comes? ��

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Guy Butters

Rocket Man

Adam Virgo

Gary Hart

I knew him growing up. I think his name was Mick Honeywood hence he got the nickname "honeymonster" though over the years as he grew he actually began to resemble the honeymonster. Last I knew he was living in Cowper Street and used to drink in the Eclipse.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So many from my younger days

John Crumplin
John Byrne
Stuart Storer
Kurt Nogan
Robbie Reinelt

to name a few

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
George Parris
Robert Codner
Ian Chapman
Darren Freeman
Cullip

Can't really include Bobby Zamora considering it's a cult status question and not out-and-out club legend.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I knew him growing up. I think his name was Mick Honeywood hence he got the nickname "honeymonster" though over the years as he grew he actually began to resemble the honeymonster. Last I knew he was living in Cowper Street and used to drink in the Eclipse.

That is he. One of my pals Dad's used to live opposite him. If I recall correctly he would sit in front of his house on a folding chair in hot weather. Proper throwback. Would be surprised if he is still alive given his size and lifestyle. Hope I'm wrong though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here