Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Err...Caroline Lucas is a superb constituency MP, caring, compassionate and committed, who I would always vote for, regardless of her being a Green party candidate.

Always vote for? ... first they came for the page three boobs :eek:

The-Sun-que-no-Pagina_1289281072_1096495_260x366.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
SL is, you’re right.

But he is helped because Eastbourne is not a staunchly Labour or Tory seat. He wouldn’t have a hope in say Hackney or Kensington & Chelsea.

I agree it does depend on the constituency, but it can be done. Lloyd wouldn't stand a chance in neighbouring Bexhill and Battle for example, and a parachuted in, London Labour Luvvie wouldn't stand as much of a chance in Hastings and Rye next door to that as the current Labour candidate does on account of his personal credentials.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I suspect the number of people who vote for a nice bloke, regardless of what party he or she represents, is a very small minority of the electorate.

true. seems people vote for different reasons. who knew?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah yes. It's called the worst of both worlds...................................

You would not like a Corbyn/McDonnell UK, more than any other scenario. Coalitions, although not ideal, but will prevent the hard left getting their mitts on the till, NATO, Jewry, and giving us an affinity with the murderous Venezualan regime, a foreign policy warm to fascist Putin, etc.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Err...Caroline Lucas is a superb constituency MP, caring, compassionate and committed, who I would always vote for, regardless of her being a Green party candidate.

There are exceptions, Andrew Bowden was an example in Kemptown. But in the vast majority of cases people vote for the party. I agree about Caroline, but she still would only stand a chance in a small handful of other constituencies.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There are exceptions, Andrew Bowden was an example in Kemptown. But in the vast majority of cases people vote for the party. I agree about Caroline, but she still would only stand a chance in a small handful of other constituencies.

Fair comment. Having had the choice of voting Conservative for Neil Hamilton, George Osborne and Esther McVeigh in my constituency it's been an easy choice putting the 'X' elsewhere due to them being cockwombles first and Tories second.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In light of this new evidence, I have re-written "Going Underground." Still needs a bit of work...

And the public gets what the public wants
Except in 1983 when the SDP / Labour result combined accounted for 53% of the vote, 16m people, and they still would have lost 160 seats to the Tories with a 42% vote share and 3m less votes.
But I want nothing this society's got
I'm going underground (going underground)
Well the brass bands play and feet start to pound
Going underground (going underground)
Well let the boys all sing and the boys all shout for tomorrow

I'll trump that. In 1951 the Tories overturned the Labour majority having scored less votes than them at the election !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sarah Wollaston? Not so much. For her it seems to be all about Brexit. Pretty sure there will be as many splits over Brexit as there would be in any group of adults. No mention whatsoever of any bigger picture.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sarah Wollaston? Not so much. For her it seems to be all about Brexit. Pretty sure there will be as many splits over Brexit as there would be in any group of adults. No mention whatsoever of any bigger picture.

Did you really expect anything other than 'bollocks to brexit'? They are a one agenda group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here