Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] West Indies v England 3rd Test

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The most mentally brittle group of England players that I have seen in over 50 years. You now expect them to collapse on a regular basis. No consistency. No real leadership. Too much emphasis on T20, to the detriment of Test Cricket. No one seems to want to work on the fundamentals of the game. All talk, very little action. Nothing changing.

Jul 7, 2003
Two in two for Moeen pulls us back in to the game a little

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I accept that but he has struggled with his own game since then generally.
Except he was the only player with a reasonably secure place in the team at the time (except Anderson).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mark Wood - the brightest spot for England on the tour so far.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Did I read on the BBC Website that he was bowling at 95MPH? No England bowler has ever done that, at least in the era of speed guns when it could be confirmed for sure,

Wood is rapid, so sad he has been hindered by injuries. On Talk Sport Gough was saying his action is still suspect to further injuries, something to do with splayed feet, which if memory serves me right was also the end of Alex Tudor's career.
With his short run up his pace is all in his explosive action which must impact on his body.
Let's hope we can get a few years out of him a he is genuinely fast.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did I read on the BBC Website that he was bowling at 95MPH? No England bowler has ever done that, at least in the era of speed guns when it could be confirmed for sure,

Yes...was listening to the commentary on the radio in the car and they were raving about it - he touched 95 a couple of times. Properly rapid, that.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes...was listening to the commentary on the radio in the car and they were raving about it - he touched 95 a couple of times. Properly rapid, that.

He was putting so much effort into his bowling that on numerous occasions he fell over after delivery. Great to see an English bowler up there with the quickest. His first fifer for England.

What a catch by Broad

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What would be a target to set them to win in the 4th innings obviously about 600 but a realistic target that we could set.

We’ve only played two days. I think it’s highly unlikely we will declare unless we bat for a day and a half and that’s incredibly unlikely based on the form of our top four batsman.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Many quicks in the past have been capable of short, hostile spells. Who knows how quick Larwood was in the bodyline series? It was enough to unsettle the greatest player of all time. Frank Tyson destroyed Australia, down under in 54-55, with lightning speed. Seasoned pro's like Keith Miller said he was a yard quicker than anything he faced in his whole career. Alan Ward of Derbyshire broke into the England team bowling incredibly quickly but his action couldn't be sustained and injury finished his career. If you watched a fired-up Devon Malcolm destroy South Africa with his nine wicket haul, no-one could persuade me that some of that stuff wasn't well over 90mph.
Now its recorded. Then, it largely wasn't. You relied on the batsmen and keeper/slips telling how quick someone was.
Many bowlers are capable of a 'quick one ' They have it in their locker. Although not English ( I use it as comparison ) Charlie Griffith used to lumber in and generally be slower than Wes Hall. Apart from when he ' threw ' in his quicker one and that went through batsmen before they had brought the bat down! Some quicker bowlers can be more hostile than out and out quick, if you get my meaning.
It is the ability to sustain higher speeds( 90mph+) over a few overs that sets the genuine quicks apart.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I read yesterday that we have Wood who can bowl at that pace.
The Aussies have 3 or 4 :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here