Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Hughton for me is still the man and even if we went down, i'd stand by that. Look no further than yesterday's opposing team to show you loyalty pays off. People should take it for what it is, a run of bad luck rather than playing badly, which we haven't been.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Hughton for me is still the man and even if we went down, i'd stand by that. Look no further than yesterday's opposing team to show you loyalty pays off. People should take it for what it is, a run of bad luck rather than playing badly, which we haven't been.

This 100%

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think that may be true of Locadia, but doesn't fit with what I have seen of Jahanbaksh.
He seemed to be all over the pitch and possibly a bit too robust defensively.

I have only seen him for a handful of games mind.

Absolutely agree, Jahanbaksh was doing pretty well prior to his injury and then going off to the Asia Cup. Locadia though l am less than convinced about, he has a tenedency to just drift out of games when things aren't going our way, as was the case yesterday.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The bedwetters are out in force.
We scored 2 against Fulham, it wasn't our strike-force that let us down. We scored yesterday, had 16 shots, some cleared of the line or requiring excellent saves, and should have had a penalty or two.

Should have, could have. Everyone scores two or more against Fulham. We should have had five by half time and not taking chances is what ultimately cost us. We should have scored a bag full against Watford. We should have scored more last night. We didn’t.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What do you mean it’s a 100% down to Hughton? That is ridiculous. Yes, a certain portion of blame can be attributed to him - team selection, tactics, substitutions. The players have also got to take responsibility. They are the ones on the pitch who make decisions in play and it is their actions, collectively or individually, that affect the performance and result.

Where I work it’s my responsibility to make sure the people I manage are focussed and driven to succeed. If they aren’t it’s my fault as I’m not leading them Properly.

At a football club this responsibility for the manager is even greater and at our club that responsibility is Chris Hughtons. There are clearly clubs wanting it a bit more than us at the moment.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Before this shambolic run 11 games ago you could have got 40 to 1 on BHAFC getting relegated after the Crystal Palace game, even now we are still 8 to 1 which seems to me a big price. I can't bring myelf to back it but I would not criticise anyone else who did. What concerns me the most is that I think we have been very poor this season overall, much worse than last season and have not progressed at all and spent another £ 60 000 000. I think we will stay up but need a complete root and branch review of the team and management if we are to try and establish ourselves for a long time in the Premier League

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hughton is playing a system which suits the players at his disposal.
He is a pragmatist and very good at what he does.

He has recently switched to a new, system which allows us to be more attacking, but that loses the rigid defence which was so successful.

However he knows the team needs to evolve and is trying to make that happen.
This may be a bit too soon for the players we have, but it is essential that we do it.

In reality if we had put away a couple more chances over the past 3 games we would have 6 more points and this board would be full of what a great manager he is.

I'm worried that things won't improve.
But that worry is due to a bad set of results, which I don't believe are a fair reflection on our performances.
WE NEED TO SIGN A PROVEN GOAL SCORER.

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Before this shambolic run 11 games ago you could have got 40 to 1 on BHAFC getting relegated after the Crystal Palace game, even now we are still 8 to 1 which seems to me a big price. I can't bring myelf to back it but I would not criticise anyone else who did. What concerns me the most is that I think we have been very poor this season overall, much worse than last season and have not progressed at all and spent another £ 60 000 000. I think we will stay up but need a complete root and branch review of the team and management if we are to try and establish ourselves for a long time in the Premier League

Good post, but I’m fine with CH. The squad needs serious improvement.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Where I work it’s my responsibility to make sure the people I manage are focussed and driven to succeed. If they aren’t it’s my fault as I’m not leading them Properly.

At a football club this responsibility for the manager is even greater and at our club that responsibility is Chris Hughtons. There are clearly clubs wanting it a bit more than us at the moment.

If your competitors have bigger budgets than you can you still outperform them when they get first picks of talent due to being able to offer better wages?

We have a bottom six budget, that has a tendency to produce a bottom six position in the table.

el punal

I, too, was a man manager and I agree whole heartedly with what you say. I, will add, however that your responsibility is also to admonish those that fail to reach the standards required be it by disciplinary measures or further training and encouragement depending on the circumstances.

I’d love to have heard your views if, say, you were a Burnley fan or a follower of Cardiff or even Crystal Palace a few weeks back, when they were all struggling and we were not. Guess what? They have all retained their managers and have improved. We are now having a bad run - and that’s all it is, so why not give Chris Hughton the opportunity to turn this around. If you are still of the opinion that as a manager you are not allowed time to improve matters then God help you in your position. You must have very unforgiving employers.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

100%. Hughton has done wonders since he took over and conducts himself with charm and class - I am proud to have him as manager of my club.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
From the outside - Anyone calling for Hughton's head needs their own head examining. Brighton are in with a 'very' good chance of staying up, again. Whether you like it or not, for most teams in the PL, that is success. They're all good teams in there, I don't see too many people looking at that Brighton squad and thinking "wow, they're underachieving". There seems to be a little toxic atmosphere around right now - Really odd, should be getting right behind him and the team.

Really ? How long do you give it, March, April or May ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think we have been very poor this season overall, much worse than last season

Much worse ??
We currently have one point less than last season with 12 games to go.
This time last season we'd just come out of a run where we'd won once in 13.
We'd yet, at that point, to get a point from any of the top 6.
Over Dec/Xmas/Jan we had been thumped at home by Chelsea (4-0), and Liverpool (5-1) and put in some dreadful performances against West Brom (A) and Huddersfield (A).
PS: In our last 9 games of last season, we won once.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The season so far is strikingly similar to Hughton’s 2nd season at Norwich when he took them down.

It looked like this for the last 12 games.
They W2, D2, L8.
i guess if Albion do that then they deserve to go down although they'd have 35 points which *might* be enough.

Last edited:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Much worse ??
Over Dec/Xmas/Jan we had been thumped at home by Chelsea (4-0), and Liverpool (5-1) and put in some dreadful performances against West Brom (A) and Huddersfield (A).

Maybe some of the frustration is that we haven't progressed despite adding several players at great expense. Be naive to think we wouldn't be in a relegation battle, however having put ourselves into a great position in December we now find ourselves in the sh*t and performances not improving.

Not signing any players in the January window to freshen up the squad is naive in my book, not sure how forceful Hughton was in asking the board for fresh legs or maybe he is happy with his squad.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Much worse ??

I think we've been much worse. Apart Man Utd and Palace, nothing leaps to me and says we deserved to win that game!

In October we got 9 out of 9 points, and deserved nothing. We mugged Wolves at the Amex, done the same to Newcastle up there, and then West Ham will be pissed they went home with nothing. Take those lucky results away, and we are cut adrift with Fulham & Huddersfield.

The way its going unless we beat Leicester, we are going into March in the bottom three, and we have a manager who just will not change what is clearly not working. I have been a big fan of Hughton's and what he's done, but the past few weeks has shown his limitations. Why he is persisting with out of form players, when we have the strongest squad I think we have ever had, only he knows. But we are sleep walking back into the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here