Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Punditwatch

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK, there are wing men for commentators, whose voice you hear during commentary. Nobody on the beeb greatly offends me. Apart from dull as a squirrel's bollocks, fake paddy, Townshend.

Then there are the faces on the TV coverage. Michael Owen started out appallingly (whiny voice) but has improved. Sutton is a brash, snidey and very uneducated cock. He wallows in his own ignorance. But he does talk sense about football.

He does R5 too. So....Robbie Savage....a no for me because I can tolerate not very bright people for only so long. Being chippy can be fun, but you have to back it up with smarts. Nice bloke though, it seems. **** off, though, blondie.

The parade of ex top 4 players....Rio is good. Mary Poppins can do one.

Nobody else stands out, good or bad. Oh, the little jock who played for Chelsea and used to listen to John Peel. I like him a lot. Insight, humility, not trying to be wee willy big bollocks. Which is why we don't get enough of him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I listened to Sutton tonight talking about Scholes getting the Oldham job. He was quite scathing about the Oldham chairman initially, then began to qualify and rein in his statements, almost like he thought better of it.

Being a gobshite will land him in trouble one of these days.

Which WILL be entertaining.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I listened to Sutton tonight talking about Scholes getting the Oldham job. He was quite scathing about the Oldham chairman initially, then began to qualify and rein in his statements, almost like he thought better of it.

Being a gobshite will land him in trouble one of these days.

Which WILL be entertaining.

He’s one mistake from being a Richard Keys/ Andy Gray.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Souness on sky is comedy. He hates Pogba and United and is like something off of Viz when he gets started. His double standards and ego are off the scale.

I know a few people who love Souness but I have absolutely sod all idea why, though.. He's a miserable faced shite who'd moan about the creases on a tenner he found on the pavement - and he rubs the front of his trousers at the mere mention of Liverpool. I don't think I've ever seen him smile, either.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"Get around the back and he hit that too well. What the **** are you talking about you massive bell?!" [emoji23]

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Murphy is awful. Just like Lawrenson. States the obvious, whinges and wines constantly, sounds like a bloke with a chip on his shoulder.

Seems to have fooled a few people into liking him purely because he's articulate. Weird.

Alex Scott is very average too. Can't understand why so few other female's have had a turn. I'm sure there's better out there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ian Wright is an absolute legend. World class goalscorer in his day, now talks about the game as enthusiastically as when he was six years old and being abused by his c*nt of a step dad, clearly liked by most who've ever met him, and he does the serious punditry quite well when the occasion demands. He just feels like a good guy who knows how lucky he was to be good at the game he loved, the best form of everyman.

Chris Sutton - I'll admit that he's not annoying me yet, but equally I know that one day his on air bullying is going to make me snap.

Danny Murphy - I'm team Iggle Piggle here - his voice doesn't bother me and I like his insight.

Jermaine Jenas - again, I like this guy. Talks a lot of sense, quite reserved with his comments on controversy almost like a cricket commentator, but that doesn't upset me at all. Same goes for Pat Nevin on 5Live - excellent but understated. Sometimes less is more.

Andy Townsend / Drury - good Lord, so glad we don't get them in this country. Probably the worst thing about living in Canada, [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]?

Motson outstayed his welcome I'm afraid and was never as good as Brackley anyway (one of our own), nor Martin Tyler for that matter.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Townsend is now I think a regular on BBC 5 as a pundit and co-commentator.

I cannot fathom this as I am pretty sure ITV sacked him in that role years ago for being absolute bobbins.

He’s awful- I cannot listen to him.

I think Sutton is ok- he is more inclined to give an opinion than just spout cliches and platitudes and that puts him in the top 10% of the mainstream pundits. In general I find you get more out of journalists (for example listen to the Totally Football or Football Weekly podcasts, or watch The Goal Show on Champs League nights on BT Sport) than you tend to from ex-players.

I cannot fathom mainstream TV (and radio to some extent) not taking this approach.

In short, there are many things I cannot fathom :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Townsend is now I think a regular on BBC 5 as a pundit and co-commentator.

I cannot fathom this as I am pretty sure ITV sacked him in that role years ago for being absolute bobbins.

He’s awful- I cannot listen to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll be disappointed with that!

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I switched on the TV yesterday to watch the Huddersfield/Man City game and the first words I heard were: "we now join our commentary team of Peter Drury and Andy Townsend." :facepalm: My two least favourite commentators. Townsend adding absolutely no value and stating the obvious. Drury with his ridiculous levels of hyperbole, trying to make out every match is the greatest match there has ever been.

My favourite Townsend insight was after Danilo's opener took a huge deflection off Schindler's head before ending up in the back of the net: "It's actually a poor touch from Schindler" :lolol:

Funnily enough, I used to think the same of Townsend. On TV. he is hopeless. If a shot hits the bar, his "analysis" would be "he should have hit it lower". However, on the radio he is insightful, balanced and interesting to listen to. I guess he has more time on radio.

Re: Sutton, I just turn off when he's on, especially the Monday Night Club. The whole thing descends into a manufactured argument.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
TBF pretty much all of BBC’s output is tough to listen to- very little insight and they spend most their time playing ‘stings’ at top volume that remind me I am listening to 5 Live (thanks- I am aware of that), trailers full of historic commentary at top volume (annoying) and they are now contractually obliged to mention the BBC Sounds app at least 47 times every hour... #Icannotfathomwhy

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Andy Townsend / Drury - good Lord, so glad we don't get them in this country. Probably the worst thing about living in Canada, [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]?

Indeed. I thought I'd heard the last of them when they left ITV, but unfortunately international PL coverage get to pick up the dross we used to be subjected to in the UK.

Matt Upson was co-commentator for one of the other matches over the weekend. I thought he was pretty decent, knows what he's talking about and actually adds a bit of value. He was along side Martin Tyler though who isn't the worst commentator but does have quite an irritating voice.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apologies if fixtures...

Chris Sutton, in my view, an unwelcome, new regular part of R5L's pundit team.

Crass, loud, unfunny, I switch over.

On tonight's programme (the God-like) Ian Wright sounded genuinely pi55ed off with one of his stupid remarks.

So, in this vein, which footie pundits would you rather not hear from?

Totally agree, re Chris Sutton, an arrogant son of a bitch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here