Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drones spotted at LGW.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure its "for a laugh" seems a dedicated purpose to cause disruption. wonder if a environmental group claim responsibility at some point.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But it’s “their” human right to protest?! How can you argue otherwise?! It’s a “crushing blow” to democracy if they can’t! where you’ve gone wrong is you’re only thinking from all the hundreds of thousands inconvenienced perspective; you need to thinking about the handful of entitled individuals doing this for, we, the people...:facepalm:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ence-for-blocking-stansted-deportation-flight

Oh yeah, I forgot to care what a handful of nimrods think...

Naughty, inconsiderate me

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The weirdest thing is there is not a single picture of it. Yet Sky News have video on the runway at Gatwick of Armed Police etc from outside the airfield

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I suspect there might be a bit more to this. The drone isn't some hobby toy one given the flight times. Probably some kind of commercial or even military drone?

Quite possibly, It just makes me laugh the way so many posters think they know exactly how to deal with it, when in reality no one knows exactly what it is they have to deal with!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sussex Police have confirmed the drone is believed to be "of industrial specification". I'm guessing that means it isn't something you can buy in the local high street... but what is an industrial specification drone?

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Feel sorry for everyone with flights canceled for Christmas.

Whoever it is doing this should be given lengthy sentences to deter others.

Authorities need to learn from this and add increased security around airports with sophisticated technology that can locate them and train flying dragons that can burn them to the ground.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's the betting it'll be some manchild who lives with his mum and relies on the tried and trusted 'autistic spectrum' defence in court?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Quite possibly, It just makes me laugh the way so many posters think they know exactly how to deal with it, when in reality no one knows exactly what it is they have to deal with!

Including the Police it would seem

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What's the betting it'll be some manchild who lives with his mum and relies on the tried and trusted 'autistic spectrum' defence in court?

Depressingly High!

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Whatever the cause: environmental protest, industrial blackmail or kids (probably big kids) mucking around, if I'm not back in the UK in time for last orders in The Henty tomorrow night I'll be most dischuffed.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Sussex Police have confirmed the drone is believed to be "of industrial specification". I'm guessing that means it isn't something you can buy in the local high street... but what is an industrial specification drone?

I wonder if any ex-military Russians have been visiting St John The Baptist Church in Crawley recently? ???

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
An airport runway being shut down just before Christmas... this is like a really tame version of Die Hard 2.

Let's hope Sussex Police have their own John McClain.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
TBF this is a sod for the police to deal with. By all accounts the little blighter pops up for a brief cameo, then goes into hiding again.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm no David Icke but how about a conspiracy theory?

The drone story is a cover. Drones cannot stay up for this length of time, and no reports are evident that this is an environmental protest.

The real story is that the security services have a credible threat of a terrorist operation at Gatwick where they plan to down an incoming/outgoing airliner with a surface to air missile. The cover story is in place in order to provide an explanation for the airport closure and avoid a mass panic across the country/world when people realise that terrorists now have this capability. In the meantime, with the airport closed and the threat neutralised, the authorities go about establishing if the threat is real etc.

Anyone?
Indeed. Although I reckon Air Traffic Control systems have been hacked.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here