Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Reading like us under poyet?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
There was lots of talk the other night about how Reading had three quarters of the possession at Leeds and still lost. My best mate is a Leeds season ticket holder and they were getting out "ole" every time their centre backs knocked it about.

This tweet from a Reading fan makes an interesting observation that their two centre backs made more passes than the whole of Leeds. What a pointless stat but it is the sort of thing that would have had poyet excited (don't get me wrong I liked him) but has stam taken this too far? https://twitter.com/talkreading/status/809100944705224704

I can imagine the Reading fans turning quite quickly if this is served up week after week! 2 shots on target from 77% possession really is quite something to behold!

Has anyone seen more of reading to judge if this is typical of them?

Poyet must be purring.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't quite work out how they're third with a zero goal difference either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apart from seeing an understrength Reading side beat Albion in the EFL Cup, I haven't seen anything at all of them. Stam though has a similar fottballing philosophy to Gus, so I can well see this being the case..Plenty of patient possession based football. Little end result.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This- apparently from that game- rather suggests that a significant quantity of their nice neat passing is between their centre halves and goalkeeper.

Very Poyet-esque.

CzqmfEjWgAEMuLb.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There was lots of talk the other night about how Reading had three quarters of the possession at Leeds and still lost. My best mate is a Leeds season ticket holder and they were getting out "ole" every time their centre backs knocked it about.

This tweet from a Reading fan makes an interesting observation that their two centre backs made more passes than the whole of Leeds. What a pointless stat but it is the sort of thing that would have had poyet excited (don't get me wrong I liked him) but has stam taken this too far? https://twitter.com/talkreading/status/809100944705224704

I can imagine the Reading fans turning quite quickly if this is served up week after week! 2 shots on target from 77% possession really is quite something to behold!

Has anyone seen more of reading to judge if this is typical of them?

Poyet must be purring.

I remember games under Poyet where we had ZERO shots on target but looked very pretty knocking the ball around in our own half.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will we hear the cries of ****GET IT FORWARD**** when Reading come to the Amex ? ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know under GP, the Albion were playing some cracking football, but according to this article from November, I cannot agree with Martin Allen:wrong:
Quote;
It’s just like watching Barcelona!

That’s what Martin Allen had to say when quizzed on Reading FC this season.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barcelona-lionel-messi-reading-fc-12205825

That is Martin Allen though, a man who's made a managerial career out of hoofing his way around the bottom division of the Football League and the Conference. Any team who makes more than four passes without belting it into touch must conjure up visions of the Dutch side of the 1970s in his eyes.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That is Martin Allen though, a man who's made a managerial career out of hoofing his way around the bottom division of the Football League and the Conference. Any team who makes more than four passes without belting it into touch must conjure up visions of the Dutch side of the 1970s in his eyes.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Yes, more L2 clubs need to attempt the cultured footballing philosophy we had whilst in L2. "Hoof it to Zamora and hope he scores." or perhaps our back-up plan "Win a free kick for Watson to take. Hope Zamora scores."

:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rather than keeping stats on possession, I'd prefer to see stats on how long the ball was in each half. After all, all the possession in the world is useless if it's all in your own half.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, more L2 clubs need to attempt the cultured footballing philosophy we had whilst in L2. "Hoof it to Zamora and hope he scores." or perhaps our back-up plan "Win a free kick for Watson to take. Hope Zamora scores."

:shrug:

Well joking apart, that's often the best way of getting promotion out of the lower divisions. The higher up the league one goes, the more cultured football becomes. Wild generalisation I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here