Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do Celtic fans think they are ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you genuinely believe that was the main reason I respectfully think you are deluded.

The reasons were twofold. Those in the 'Big Six' were concerened that a successful Celtic and/or Rangers might break into their present cosy cartel.

Those in the 'Other 14' feared losing their place in the Premier League to Celtic/Rangers and it costing tens of millions in lost TV revenues.

There was no incentive for any existing (or potential) EPL club to vote for their inclusion, although the Premier League as a whole may have been a more interesting spectacle.

As for the finances, here's a comparison of Celtic and Leicester.

Leicester v Celtic.png

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Fortunatelyl neither ever play in the English League so we won't have to put up with their bigotry and sectarianism (that applies to both teams)

Yeah, because we don't get that kind of thing from English clubs do we? (admittedly on a smaller scale when it comes to sectarianism).

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
The reasons were twofold. Those in the 'Big Six' were concerened that a successful Celtic and/or Rangers might break into their present cosy cartel.

Those in the 'Other 14' feared losing their place in the Premier League to Celtic/Rangers and it costing tens of millions in lost TV revenues.

There was no incentive for any existing (or potential) EPL club to vote for their inclusion, although the Premier League as a whole may have been a more interesting spectacle.

As for the finances, here's a comparison of Celtic and Leicester.

View attachment 105143

Spot on.

For the record, my beef isn't with Rogers' decision, it makes a lot of sense, but with the general attitude of the OP, echoed here by quite a few it seems.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The post I was replying to was arrogant in my opinion, and it's an arrogant attitude I hear a lot when people talk about Celtic and Rangers, thinking they'd be playing in the Championship if they were down here, utter nonsense. The EPL has only become what it has because of the obscene amounts of money it has generated, much of it dubiously and some of it illegally. Yet you get posters like the OP referring to Celtic supporters, who have a good reason to feel aggrieved, as 'Scotch goons'. Really?

Take it as arrogance if you like, but quite why you think Celtic and/or Rangers would be worthy of automatically taking up a place in the Premier League is frankly baffling. Even the Championship is questionable. Rangers, for example, currently have what was our 2nd-string winger and centreback as 1st choices (when fit), and a 51 year old Jermaine Defoe leading the line. Celtics squad is comprised of a hotchpotch of lesser-known players from Europe, plus a few cast-offs from the likes of Wolves, Villa and West Brom.

I probably should have referred to them as "delusional Scotch goons", so apologies for that. As it stands, the Old Firm are both big fish in a tiny, tiny pond, and they most certainly deserve (and will) stay right there, where they can keep their tedious sectarian filth to themselves.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I think it's a shrewd move on Roger's part. If he stayed, ultimately, he was always going to be the manager to lost the title back to Rangers following their fall from grace and relegation down the ranks. With the 2 teams having to face each other 2 more times this season, that could still, arguably, happen this year.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Take it as arrogance if you like, but quite why you think Celtic and/or Rangers would be worthy of automatically taking up a place in the Premier League is frankly baffling. Even the Championship is questionable. Rangers, for example, currently have what was our 2nd-string winger and centreback as 1st choices (when fit), and a 51 year old Jermaine Defoe leading the line. Celtics squad is comprised of a hotchpotch of lesser-known players from Europe, plus a few cast-offs from the likes of Wolves, Villa and West Brom.

I probably should have referred to them as "delusional Scotch goons", so apologies for that. As it stands, the Old Firm are both big fish in a tiny, tiny pond, and they most certainly deserve (and will) stay right there, where they can keep their tedious sectarian filth to themselves.

It's quite simple really, if either or both were playing in the EPL the revenue they would generate would give them the finances to buy some of the best players in the world and they would very soon be on a par with the biggest clubs in England in spending power, ticket sales for every game would be astronomical let alone the hike in marketing revenue. The argument you state about the players they currently have would be null and void because currently you're comparing apples with oranges.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I remember 19 years ago when he was being talked about as a potential successor to Ferguson at Man Utd, Martin O'Neill, having turned down Leeds United who were in Europe at the time a couple of years before, left Leicester to join Celtic to take the bigger job.

How the boot's on the other foot now. It must hurt them. What a shame............

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
"There has been a goal at the Brighton game but before we go there let's hear from Fergal McDuff at Parkhead where things are finely balanced at Celtic 8 Bonny Lochmoor Rangers 0"....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's quite simple really, if either or both were playing in the EPL the revenue they would generate would give them the finances to buy some of the best players in the world and they would very soon be on a par with the biggest clubs in England in spending power, ticket sales for every game would be astronomical let alone the hike in marketing revenue. The argument you state about the players they currently have would be null and void because currently you're comparing apples with oranges.

You could say exactly the same if you arbitrarily parachuted Leeds, Villa, Sunderland or Massive back into the Premier League. Not that they'd be guaranteed to challenge the current Big 6, but then neither would the bigots.

Whats your point ?

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
You could say exactly the same if you arbitrarily parachuted Leeds, Villa, Sunderland or Massive back into the Premier League.

Whats your point ?

I think you'll find you've just made it. What's your point, other than showing off a spot of casual anti-Celt racism? Do you not get the irony of banging on about 'filthy sectarianism' in the same breath as 'Scotch goons'?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Celtic fans have been pathetic in the last couple of days.

Blokes ringing Talksport in pieces saying Rodger is a disgrace and has no respect etc.

This from the same fans who were singing songs about Lee Rigby less than a week ago in Valencia :ffsparr:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you'll find you've just made it. What's your point, other than showing off a spot of casual anti-Celt racism? Do you not get the irony of banging on about 'filthy sectarianism' in the same breath as 'Scotch goons'?

Oh do behave petal. Are you HONESTLY describing the term "scotch goons" as being racist ?

I think we're done.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Spot on.

For the record, my beef isn't with Rogers' decision, it makes a lot of sense, but with the general attitude of the OP, echoed here by quite a few it seems.

Yup, I was on Scottish radio for half an hour last night talking about Rangers' interim results as well as BR going to Leicester and found the interviewers to be knowledgeable, funny and engaging. The sectarian bellends are a stain on the game from both side of the divide but as someone with a wife from Edinburgh I find the sneering towards Scotland baffling, as she's an absolute honey as [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] will testify

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Oh do behave petal. Are you HONESTLY describing the term "scotch goons" as being racist ?

I think we're done.

Oh, ok petal. And yes, your sneering and arrogant posts on this thread have all the hallmarks of CASUAL racism towards the Scottish that I hear way too often.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the short term with ex-Celtic / hothead Lennon now back in charge at Parkhead it certainly makes the Triple Treble interesting.

I get the "Immortal" thing with Rodgers and Celtic because a Triple Treble would have been incredible and if he could have led them to 10 titles in a row then he'd be right up there with the great Jock Stein.

It will be interesting to see where Steven Gerrard moves to next. He must be looking on at the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer situation and fancying a bit of that action. If Klopp wins the title then he'll be on the radar of Real Madrid and Barcelona, in which case he could conceivably be off at the end of the 2019/20 season, and if Celtic have won 9 in a row at that point I wouldn't be surprised to see Stevie G move back to Liverpool - I wouldn't fancy being the Rangers manager who couldn't stop Celtic winning a record-breaking 10 in a row.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup, I was on Scottish radio for half an hour last night talking about Rangers' interim results as well as BR going to Leicester and found the interviewers to be knowledgeable, funny and engaging. The sectarian goons are a stain on the game but as someone with a wife from Edinburgh I find the sneering towards Scotland baffling, as she's an absolute honey as [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] will testify

I've nothing whatsoever against Scotland, I'm part scottish myself on my mothers side.

Their League is utter bobbins though, I'm afraid. So Celtic fans trolling Rodgers for leaving their hallowed club for an established Premier League club, insisting its a step down and a betrayal, is as blinkered and delusional as it gets. He'd achieved everything he could possibly have done at Celtic, you'd think they'd be grateful to him. But no, they see it as an insult.

Ridiculous.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm sure the Old Firm games are great. Big grounds, good atmosphere, 'passion' - filled encounters. It probably rivals the big games in the Premier League. But for the rest of the fixtures you're playing against League 1 standard teams with League 1 standard stadiums. Stadiums that hold 6,000 people. It's no wonder Rodgers got bored with it.

Look at St. Johnstone, as an example. 10,696 Capacity. Mid table in the Scottish Premier League.

594cffe47367a166111795.jpg

It's worse than Selhurst FFS.

Celtic fans who don't understand why he left should have a think about that. It's hardly the glitz and glamour of the Premier League, is it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, ok petal. And yes, your sneering and arrogant posts on this thread have all the hallmarks of CASUAL racism towards the Scottish that I hear way too often.

Nope. I've sneered at their shitty League, and at the delusional ungrateful Celtic fans in that picture, not "the scottish". You seem to be spoiling for a fight over something I've not actually said, but if you want to interpret it that way and get the Wallace warpaint out, you go for gold chap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here